    How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Robert11

    DC Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,

    > Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.

    Mistake number one.

    > Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control Panel, and using
    > the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying that "Wait
    > while they check for the AOL version".

    Heh. They're probably pre-authorising your credit card for the 20 or so
    payments that they will take *after* you've cancelled your service.

    Just kidding (or am I)?

    http://www.jameshoyer.com/news_wsj_cancel.html

    Horror stories abound.

    > Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.
    > Going to Explorer/AOL, and clickining on the Uninstall icon brings up the
    > same result, and hangup.

    > Are they just being cute, and preventing uninstalls, or is there really a
    > problem ?

    They think so, yes, AOL.

    > How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?

    Best solution is to wipe your harddrive and reinstall your OS. I'm not
    giving you the lazy solution, here. I don't know of anyone who ever
    successfully removed AOL from a system without breaking it. It's a
    bloody mess.

    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Don't thank me yet. Your weekend just went up in smoke. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    It's not the software that's free; it's you.
    DC, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Daniel Guest

    And how does this person reinstall there OS without also reinstalling the
    AOL? Most computers, especially DELL, have a reinstall disk that puts all
    that stuff back on there. He could try using a regular uninstall program
    from Symantec like SystemWorks. Or can just not worry about the stuff - My
    eMachines still has lots of stuff I never use and I just ignore it.

    Dan

    Daniel, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Dell does *NOT* use a system recovery disk of the type you are refering to.
    They ship an XP CD, a drivers disk, and a disk for applications.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Robert11

    DC Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Robert11 wrote:

    [...]

    >> > How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?

    >> Best solution is to wipe your harddrive and reinstall your OS. I'm not
    >> giving you the lazy solution, here. I don't know of anyone who ever
    >> successfully removed AOL from a system without breaking it. It's a
    >> bloody mess.

    > And how does this person reinstall there OS without also reinstalling the
    > AOL? Most computers, especially DELL, have a reinstall disk that puts all
    > that stuff back on there.

    Mistake number two.

    DC, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.
    >
    > Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control Panel, and
    > using the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying
    > that "Wait while they check for the AOL version".
    >
    > Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.
    > Going to Explorer/AOL, and clickining on the Uninstall icon brings up
    > the same result, and hangup.
    >
    > Are they just being cute, and preventing uninstalls, or is there
    > really a problem ?
    >
    > How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Format and reinstall XP. There is no other way.
    on salads.
    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hi,

    Hello.

    > Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.

    Bummer.

    > Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control Panel, and using
    > the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying that "Wait
    > while they check for the AOL version".

    > Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.

    It found your version. Your version is ... <wait for it> ... The
    Version That Can't Be Removed.

    They gotcha! ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.

    Puppies are commonly born with worms. Too bad there is no de-AOL pill
    out there.
    Plato, Dec 19, 2004
  9. Robert11

    x@y Guest

    Hello "Robert11"!!

    See here: http://www.ursoftware.com/uninstaller.htm

    Google it for another dozen of programs.
    I never used any of them, I cannot recommend any
    from experience. Good Luck x@y.

    <>===========<>============<>===========<>

    x@y, Dec 22, 2004
  10. Robert11

    sparkyuiop

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Uninstall AOL Tutorial

    Use windows search to search for 'All files and folders' and type 'AOL', click the 'More advanced options' and check the boxes for, 'Search system folders / Search hidden files and folders / Search subfolders'.
    Click 'Search'
    There will be many files located and it is possible that not all of them will be for AOL although all of mine were as 'aol' is not a common set of letters that go together. Example: If you have a file called 'Lambada old.mpg' which is a video file you downloaded, it will also be displayed in the search results because your computer will see the letters 'LambadA OLd.mpg'. Obviously you don't want to delete that interesting sounding example!
    If you are unsure hold your mouse pointer over the location text, 'i.e. C:/documents and settings/Ow...' until the full location is displayed, 'C:/documents and settings/Owner/My Videos/Lambada old.mpg'.
    Once you know all of the files that you want to keep, right click each one of the determined AOL files and delete them. There are many I know but using 'select all' and 'delete' will not work easily in this case as you will be left with five or so files that you can't delete and it will stop the deleting process.
    Once you have done this you will see a few folders left that you can't delete and a few system files (I forget their names, sorry but it doesn't matter it will be obvious enough as the system file will be displayed with an unidentified type icon.
    There is one file that you will need to go to manually and that’s, ‘Recent Documents’. Follow the address bar and open the file. Delete any shortcuts / files inside.
    Press 'Control / Alt / Delete' together until the 'Windows task manager is displayed', Click 'Processes' and look for the system file you found in search and were unable to delete.
    IGNORE ANY OTHER AOL PROCESS SUCH AS 'AOLSOFTWARE.EXE' FOR PRESENT.
    Left click the system file once, and then click, ‘End Process’. A dialog box will appear with a warning about ending the process, just click, ‘Yes’.
    Now you can do the same for any other AOL process. When you have done, check to make sure that none of the AOL processes have restarted.
    Hopefully if all has gone well you can now delete the rest of the found AOL files.
    Now perform the search again as described earlier and any AOL file should be located in the ‘Recycle Bin’.
    Go to ‘Control Panel, Click ‘Add / Remove Programs’ and click the AOL entry. You should be told that there is an error and would you like to remove it from the list, click ‘Yes’.
    Reboot your computer. If all is OK and you get no errors then empty your recycle bin and your done!
    Hope this has been of some help to you.
    Sparkyuiop.
    sparkyuiop, Apr 13, 2008
  11. Robert11

    sbullock34

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Listen to Sparkyuiop!

    I don't know you but you are the only one that I found that could tell me how to get rid of AOL crap for good!! I even have a friend that works for AOL and he couldn't get rid of all of it. I followed your instructions word for word and did the search again and nothing under "AOL" came back up.
    There's only one other thing everybody needs to do. Do a search and type in "America Online" as well. I had 4 more files under the full name. Now I have nothing, absolutely nothing, with AOL or America Online in my computer.
    I've been trying to dump that crap ever since I left them 3 years ago when I found out that they downloaded a "tracking cookie" into my system and changed my media player to theirs. WAY TO GO SPARKYUIOP and THANKS!!
    sbullock34, Jun 26, 2008
  12. Robert11

    Grateful One

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Thank You, Sparkyuiop!!!

    I am replying to a reply that was posted over a year ago by sparkyuiop regarding uninstalling AOL (04.13.2008 08:27 AM). Sparky, whoever you are, I registered only to be able to post a thank you for your assistance with uninstalling AOL from my computer...prior to following your directions nothing else had worked. AOL techs couldn't even help (I called them plenty!); I was ready to threaten and get some kind of class action lawsuit going against AOL for hijacking my computer if I could! I spent hours and hours in frustration trying to rid my brand new Gateway (with Windows Vista) of AOL. I did all sorts of searches on Google until finally, I hit the mark. You're a genius. I am truly grateful for your post, sparkyuiop! Thank you!!!

    Grateful One
    Grateful One, Jul 17, 2009
  13. Robert11

    sparkyuiop

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Your more than welcome. Glad you got rid of the crap. Shame so many people are still installing it when they just don't need to. Configure your router manually peeps and launch that AOL CD in the bin where it belongs!
    sparkyuiop, Jul 21, 2009