AOL Silver Broadband package and wireless connection.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Den Machan, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. Den Machan

    Den Machan Guest

    Hello all. I am hoping that someone out there will be able to help me
    out.

    My problem is that I have signed up to the AOL silver broadband
    package at £17.99 per month. I want to buy a router for my desktop and
    a card for my laptop so I can establish a wireless internet connection
    on my laptop. This seems simple enough, but when I contacted AOL to
    see if this was ok, they told me that I would have to upgrade to the
    more expensive gold package to do this. I explained that I do not want
    to do this, and understood that I would not get the speed that I would
    with the gold package, but I am prepared to put up with that. They
    then said that It would not work unless I upgraded to the gold
    package, without actally giving me a reason why. When I tried to get
    an answer as to what would stop it working, they said that I could
    only connect using my AOL username and password on one P.C at a time.

    That sounds fair enough, but when I have connected to the net via AOL
    and have an internet connection, I have no problems using Internet
    Explorer to surf. When I suggested this to the Guy, and asked him if I
    tried to use IE wirelessly on the laptop, once a connection had been
    established on the desktop, he would not or could not answer, and hung
    up!

    Call me old Mr Cynical, but I reckon AOL may be trying to con me into
    upgrading when I do not really need to. I have tried to use the AOL
    interactive helpline on a few occasions, and all they ever seem to try
    to do is sell me stuff! Having said that, I am no expert when it comes
    to wireless internet connections and stuff like that, so the Guy may
    be actually telling me the truth. That's where you guys may be able to
    help - If I buy the stuff necessary for establishing a wireless
    internet connection, will the broadband package I am on make any
    difference, or could AOL stop it working somehow from their end?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long query, and thanks
    in advance for any replies.

    All the best for the new year - Cheers all - Den.

    Den Machan, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Den Machan

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (Den Machan) wrote in

    > Hello all. I am hoping that someone out there will be able to help me
    > out.
    >
    > My problem is that I have signed up to the AOL silver broadband
    > package at £17.99 per month. I want to buy a router for my desktop and
    > a card for my laptop so I can establish a wireless internet connection
    > on my laptop. This seems simple enough, but when I contacted AOL to
    > see if this was ok, they told me that I would have to upgrade to the
    > more expensive gold package to do this. I explained that I do not want
    > to do this, and understood that I would not get the speed that I would
    > with the gold package, but I am prepared to put up with that. They
    > then said that It would not work unless I upgraded to the gold
    > package, without actally giving me a reason why. When I tried to get
    > an answer as to what would stop it working, they said that I could
    > only connect using my AOL username and password on one P.C at a time.

    That is not true that I have seen to date using a router. Routers have an
    Admin screen that allows you to supply the user ID and password to connect
    to the ISP's network. Any machine connected to the router would be able to
    share the account with other computers on your LAN. You also have ISP's
    that only allow a computer to connect to their network based on the
    computer's NIC MAC that was provisioned for the user account. The NIC MAC
    can be cloned into the router and again all machines connected to the
    router can share the Internet connection.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Den Machan wrote:

    > Hello all. I am hoping that someone out there will be able to help me
    > out.

    > My problem is that I have signed up to the AOL silver broadband

    Dump AOL. Get a real ISP.

    -
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 31, 2004