    Free diagnostic tool checks security settings of PCs and home
    networks.

    Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service
    Thursday, June 08, 2006

    AOL plans to release today a free application that checks the security
    software and settings of PCs and home networks and lets users know
    about vulnerabilities it detects.

    Called Active Security Monitor, the diagnostic tool is available as a
    free download. Users don't need to be AOL subscribers to download the
    application.

    If the tool is installed on a PC that belongs to a home network, the
    tool can also check the network's security configuration and report
    its findings to the user.

    If all PCs on a home network are outfitted with Active Security
    Monitor, the application is also able to provide a comprehensive
    snapshot of the general security status of every PC and the network in
    a single dashboard-type interface.

    Independent Assessment

    "This application is designed to give users a good, independent
    assessment of their overall security situation," said John McKinley,
    president of AOL Digital Services.

    The tool is designed to help users keep their security applications
    updated and their system's security settings properly configured, he
    said.

    This is increasingly complicated, because users have to keep track of
    a growing variety of security applications, including antivirus
    software, security patches, spyware catchers, and firewalls. "You're
    only as strong as your weakest link," he said.

    By default, the application does a security survey once every day, but
    users can modify this to run more often, he said. AOL had been beta
    testing Active Security Monitor since mid-May.

    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,126026,tk,nl_dnxnws,00.asp

    ==
    "You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something in your life."
    -- Winston Churchill
    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

    Ablang, Jun 10, 2006

  2. Ablang wrote:

    > This is increasingly complicated, because users have to keep track of
    > a growing variety of security applications, including antivirus
    > software, security patches, spyware catchers, and firewalls. "You're
    > only as strong as your weakest link," he said.

    Now, they don't. They really need security patches, but that's it. BTW,
    what exactly is a spyware catcher? Is is something that gives you a
    decent warning when installing Skype?

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jun 10, 2006

  3. Ablang

    Gimpy Guest

    Might want to take a look at their "EUL" first, more crap in there then
    you can shake a stick at.. I turned it down Gimpy

    Gimpy, Jun 10, 2006