    <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AOL-Now-Reachable-by-Desktop-Linux-Users-36146.html>
    --
    *@*
    Tech.News, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Tech.News

    KnowBody Guest

    Tech.News wrote:

    > LinuxInsider.com - Encino,CA,USA
    >
    > By ECT News Software Desk.
    >
    > ... "We decided to build an open source dialer on our own so the massive
    > AOL customer base can now use a low-cost Linux computer with ...
    >
    > <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AOL-Now-Reachable-by-Desktop-Linux-Users-36146.html>

    Thats just weird. Most AOhell users use AOL because they dont know how
    badly AOL sucks (ie clueless). Most Linux users are more savvy than the
    average internet user( ie not clueless). So, I don't see much of a
    market for AOhell with Linux users :D
    KnowBody, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Tech.News

    DC Guest

    KnowBody wrote:
    > Tech.News wrote:

    >> LinuxInsider.com - Encino,CA,USA

    >> By ECT News Software Desk.

    >> ... "We decided to build an open source dialer on our own so the massive
    >> AOL customer base can now use a low-cost Linux computer with ...

    >> <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AOL-Now-Reachable-by-Desktop-Linux-Users-36146.html>

    > Thats just weird. Most AOhell users use AOL because they dont know how
    > badly AOL sucks (ie clueless). Most Linux users are more savvy than the
    > average internet user( ie not clueless). So, I don't see much of a
    > market for AOhell with Linux users :D

    You're forgetting -- these are Lindows users. Lindows isn't a linux
    distro -- it's a disastro.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Tech.News

    Adam Bailey Guest

    KnowBody <> wrote:
    > Tech.News wrote:
    >
    >> LinuxInsider.com - Encino,CA,USA
    >>
    >> By ECT News Software Desk.
    >>
    >> ... "We decided to build an open source dialer on our own so the massive
    >> AOL customer base can now use a low-cost Linux computer with ...
    >>
    >> <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AOL-Now-Reachable-by-Desktop-Linux-Users-36146.html>

    > Thats just weird. Most AOhell users use AOL because they dont know how
    > badly AOL sucks (ie clueless). Most Linux users are more savvy than the
    > average internet user( ie not clueless). So, I don't see much of a
    > market for AOhell with Linux users :D

    There are exceptions to both of your statements (hence your use of the word
    "most").

    There are also people in fairly remote areas where the only option for local
    dialup is AOL.

    --
    Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois
    Adam Bailey, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Tech.News

    KnowBody Guest

    DC wrote:
    > KnowBody wrote:
    >
    >>Tech.News wrote:

    >>>LinuxInsider.com - Encino,CA,USA

    >>>By ECT News Software Desk.

    >>>... "We decided to build an open source dialer on our own so the massive
    >>>AOL customer base can now use a low-cost Linux computer with ...

    >>><http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AOL-Now-Reachable-by-Desktop-Linux-Users-36146.html>

    >>Thats just weird. Most AOhell users use AOL because they dont know how
    >>badly AOL sucks (ie clueless). Most Linux users are more savvy than the
    >>average internet user( ie not clueless). So, I don't see much of a
    >>market for AOhell with Linux users :D

    > You're forgetting -- these are Lindows users. Lindows isn't a linux
    > distro -- it's a disastro.

    LMAO! Good point.
    KnowBody, Aug 27, 2004
  6. begin On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:47:37 +0000, DC wrote:

    > KnowBody wrote:
    >> Tech.News wrote:

    >>> LinuxInsider.com - Encino,CA,USA

    >>> By ECT News Software Desk.

    >>> ... "We decided to build an open source dialer on our own so the
    >>> massive AOL customer base can now use a low-cost Linux computer with

    >>> <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AOL-Now-Reachable-by-Desktop-Linux-Users-36146.html>

    >> Thats just weird. Most AOhell users use AOL because they dont know how
    >> badly AOL sucks (ie clueless). Most Linux users are more savvy than the
    >> average internet user( ie not clueless). So, I don't see much of a
    >> market for AOhell with Linux users :D

    > You're forgetting -- these are Lindows users. Lindows isn't a linux
    > distro -- it's a disastro.

    Yes, it is!

    --
    SuSE 9.1 Pro 64bit
    linux 2.6.5-7.104 i686 athlon
    Perce P. Cassidy, Aug 27, 2004
  7. begin On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:07:31 +0000, KnowBody wrote:

    > Tech.News wrote:
    >
    >> LinuxInsider.com - Encino,CA,USA
    >>
    >> By ECT News Software Desk.
    >>
    >> ... "We decided to build an open source dialer on our own so the massive
    >> AOL customer base can now use a low-cost Linux computer with ...
    >>
    >> <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AOL-Now-Reachable-by-Desktop-Linux-Users-36146.html>

    > Thats just weird. Most AOhell users use AOL because they dont know how
    > badly AOL sucks (ie clueless).

    Yes, "The Walled Garden" as one IT magazine called.

    > Most Linux users are more savvy than the average internet user( ie not
    > clueless). So, I don't see much of a market for AOhell with Linux users
    > :D

    Nor do I.

    Perce P. Cassidy, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Tech.News

    xmp Guest

    Tech.News wrote:

    > LinuxInsider.com - Encino,CA,USA
    >
    > By ECT News Software Desk.
    >
    > ... "We decided to build an open source dialer on our own so the massive
    > AOL customer base can now use a low-cost Linux computer with ...
    >
    > <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AOL-Now-Reachable-by-Desktop-Linux-Users-36146.html>

    While I'm happy for the customers, I hope Lindows isn't acting like they
    were the first to do this. I had used PengAOL as early as 2002, when it
    was at version 1.5. Lindows also had a TCP/IP client several years ago
    and there was a client called InstantAOL ripped of an Inet appliance.
    Lindows is probably the first to make a dialer plus client though.

    Perhaps Lindows reversed the whole protocol, but I suspect AOL helped
    them. Penggy reversed the dialer, based on prior work by members of the
    underground. The whole point of Penggy doing it was that AOL was/is
    unmetered in parts of Europe. It's tricky making the graphical client,
    as the graphics are rendered through FDO (form display operations) which
    is proprietary along with FLAP/P3 and secure handshake. I believe
    Lindows' first attempt utilized WINE.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Tech.News

    xmp Guest

    Adam Bailey wrote:

    > There are exceptions to both of your statements (hence your use of the word
    > "most").
    >
    > There are also people in fairly remote areas where the only option for local
    > dialup is AOL.

    Many in western EU used because AOL had free dialups not metered by the
    minute. This was/is a BIG advantage. US users are often obtuse when it
    comes to international matters.

    Also, Lindows is partially targetting the newbie market, e.g. with $200
    boxes. Advanced users with $200 would build one out of parts or buy a
    surplus machine. That said, the Microtels weren't too shabby.

    I know several FreeBSD / linux users who use AOL over TCP/IP with a WINE
    derivative or client.

    AOL is steep at $23.90 for dialup, but has no timeouts (in this area),
    NNTP through client, IMs, chat, radio, etc.

    I still think Earthlink is the best deal though. Earthlink has a 1/2
    price special now, and there's no $10 ISP that comes anywhere near their
    service.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 27, 2004
  10. Tech.News

    KnowBody Guest

    Adam Bailey wrote:
    > There are also people in fairly remote areas where the only option for local
    > dialup is AOL.

    There's exceptions to most rules.

    From what I've seen / heard, AOL is NOT the first usable ISP in most
    areas. Especially rural areas.

    For example my area, which is Very rural... There was like 2 or 3 ISPs,
    before AOL decided there would be enough customers to bother with us.
    They did send out disks (later CD's) to everyone in the area well before
    they actually supported the area with LOCAL dialup numbers lol...

    Who knows, maybe they did it differently in your area. *shrug*

    Also might be a case people dont do the research on what available in
    their area... and find AOL first since AOL is well known for their bulk
    mailings of disks/CDs. I have run into lots of people like that.
    KnowBody, Aug 27, 2004
  11. Tech.News

    xmp Guest

    KnowBody wrote:

    > From what I've seen / heard, AOL is NOT the first usable ISP in most
    > areas. Especially rural areas.
    >
    > For example my area, which is Very rural... There was like 2 or 3 ISPs,
    > before AOL decided there would be enough customers to bother with us.
    > They did send out disks (later CD's) to everyone in the area well before
    > they actually supported the area with LOCAL dialup numbers lol...

    Well in my state and previous state, they had dialups even in remote
    areas. Now that many city dialups are at local unmetered rate, it's
    less of an issue.

    > Who knows, maybe they did it differently in your area. *shrug*
    >
    > Also might be a case people dont do the research on what available in
    > their area... and find AOL first since AOL is well known for their bulk
    > mailings of disks/CDs. I have run into lots of people like that.

    A lot of people, perhaps a majority, don't want to fuss with configuring
    Outlook and IE. Certainly the AOL client is more secure than most MS
    programs and AIM client.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 27, 2004