AOL Kills Netscape's Future, Leaves Firefox To Battle IE

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by History Fan, Dec 29, 2007.

  1. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    History Fan, Dec 29, 2007

  2. History Fan

    Old Enough Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:45:39 -0500, "History Fan"
    <> wrote:

    >Interesting article:
    >
    >http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205204433

    Doesn't surprise me. I used to use Netscape (never been an MS-IE
    fan), but have been using Firefox now for I don't know how long.
    It's a great program, and unless something unforeseen happens, I'll be
    using it for a long time . . .

    Cheers! and Happy New Year!
    _________________________________
    Old Enough
    to know I don't know a thing ....

    Old Enough, Dec 29, 2007

  3. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    "Old Enough" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:45:39 -0500, "History Fan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Interesting article:
    >>
    >>http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205204433
    >>

    > Doesn't surprise me. I used to use Netscape (never been an MS-IE
    > fan), but have been using Firefox now for I don't know how long.
    > It's a great program, and unless something unforeseen happens, I'll be
    > using it for a long time . . .

    I rarely used Netscape. I first went online in July 1996, via a
    dial-up modem, and for the next 3 years used America Online's web browser.
    I tried Netscape a few times, but it was far more convenient to surf the web
    thru AOL's own browser, which I believe used the Internet Explorer engine.

    History Fan, Dec 30, 2007
  4. History Fan

    Andy J. Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > "Old Enough" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:45:39 -0500, "History Fan"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Interesting article:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205204433
    >>>

    >> Doesn't surprise me. I used to use Netscape (never been an MS-IE
    >> fan), but have been using Firefox now for I don't know how long.
    >> It's a great program, and unless something unforeseen happens, I'll be
    >> using it for a long time . . .
    >>

    > I rarely used Netscape. I first went online in July 1996, via a
    > dial-up modem, and for the next 3 years used America Online's web browser.
    > I tried Netscape a few times, but it was far more convenient to surf the web
    > thru AOL's own browser, which I believe used the Internet Explorer engine.

    I was there back around 1992. Didn't AOL use something called Mosaic
    (which I think was related to Netscape) or am I getting confused
    with Compuserve, who I was with before AOL.

    Andy J.

    Andy J., Jan 1, 2008
  5. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Andy J. wrote:
    > History Fan wrote:
    >> "Old Enough" <> wrote in message

    >>> Doesn't surprise me. I used to use Netscape (never been an MS-IE
    >>> fan), but have been using Firefox now for I don't know how long.
    >>> It's a great program, and unless something unforeseen happens, I'll be
    >>> using it for a long time . . .
    >>>

    >> I rarely used Netscape. I first went online in July 1996, via a
    >> dial-up modem, and for the next 3 years used America Online's web
    >> browser. I tried Netscape a few times, but it was far more convenient
    >> to surf the web thru AOL's own browser, which I believe used the
    >> Internet Explorer engine.
    >>

    > I was there back around 1992. Didn't AOL use something called Mosaic
    > (which I think was related to Netscape) or am I getting confused
    > with Compuserve, who I was with before AOL.
    >
    > Andy J.

    Google is your friend:
    http://www.google.com/search?query=mosaic netscape history&num=50

    First hit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 1, 2008
  6. History Fan

    Andy J. Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Andy J. wrote:
    >> History Fan wrote:
    >>> "Old Enough" <> wrote in message

    >>> I rarely used Netscape. I first went online in July 1996, via a
    >>> dial-up modem, and for the next 3 years used America Online's web
    >>> browser. I tried Netscape a few times, but it was far more convenient
    >>> to surf the web thru AOL's own browser, which I believe used the
    >>> Internet Explorer engine.
    >>>

    >> I was there back around 1992. Didn't AOL use something called Mosaic
    >> (which I think was related to Netscape) or am I getting confused
    >> with Compuserve, who I was with before AOL.
    >>
    >> Andy J.

    > Google is your friend:
    > http://www.google.com/search?query=mosaic netscape history&num=50
    >
    > First hit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape

    There we go then, my memory isn't quite as bad as I thought. :)

    Andy.

    Andy J., Jan 1, 2008
  7. On 2008-01-01, Andy J. <> wrote:

    > I was there back around 1992. Didn't AOL use something called Mosaic
    > (which I think was related to Netscape) or am I getting confused
    > with Compuserve, who I was with before AOL.

    Mosaic was the first graphical web browser, and was created and
    distributed by the NCSA at the University of Indiana in Bloomington.
    Netscape was formed by a couple UoI-Bloomington students who used the
    Mosaic code (with permission) to form their own company.

    FWIW, Internet Explorer also uses licensed Mosaic code. Take a look in
    "Help...About" if you're interested.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jan 1, 2008
  8. History Fan

    Justin Guest

    John Thompson wrote on [Tue, 1 Jan 2008 17:12:57 -0600]:
    > On 2008-01-01, Andy J. <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was there back around 1992. Didn't AOL use something called Mosaic
    >> (which I think was related to Netscape) or am I getting confused
    >> with Compuserve, who I was with before AOL.

    > Mosaic was the first graphical web browser, and was created and
    > distributed by the NCSA at the University of Indiana in Bloomington.
    > Netscape was formed by a couple UoI-Bloomington students who used the
    > Mosaic code (with permission) to form their own company.

    Hmmm, The University of Indiana is actually in Pennsylvania, Indiana
    University is in Bloomington, Indiana.

    The NCSA is in Illinois at the University of Illinois at
    Urbana-Champaign.

    Mosaic was developed at the NCSA.

    Justin, Jan 2, 2008
  9. On 2008-01-02, Justin <> wrote:
    > John Thompson wrote on [Tue, 1 Jan 2008 17:12:57 -0600]:

    >> Mosaic was the first graphical web browser, and was created and
    >> distributed by the NCSA at the University of Indiana in Bloomington.
    >> Netscape was formed by a couple UoI-Bloomington students who used the
    >> Mosaic code (with permission) to form their own company.

    > Hmmm, The University of Indiana is actually in Pennsylvania, Indiana
    > University is in Bloomington, Indiana.
    >
    > The NCSA is in Illinois at the University of Illinois at
    > Urbana-Champaign.
    >
    > Mosaic was developed at the NCSA.

    Uh, right you are, of course. That's what I get for posting on New Years
    Day.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jan 4, 2008
  10. History Fan

    Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 11:04:10 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >Google is your friend:

    Google Might be YOUR friend, but not mine.....

    Google is notorious for spying and tracing everything you do, not to
    mention their excessive advertising, as well as phishing for your
    email address. I just found this site that's supposed to block all
    the google spying. It works, but I dont know if it really blocks or
    not. http://www.g8g1e.com. I do like the lack of ads though.

    If I recall, somewhere in the Firefox documentation they mention
    Mosaic too. Firefox and other prior mozilla browsers, as well as
    Netscape were all designed from the same basic "engine". I'n no
    techie, but I know there has always been this basic code used in
    Netscape and Mozilla browsers, and as far as I understand, it all
    developed from the original Mosaic. In the early 90's I had a copy of
    Mosaic, (was called Mosaic) I probably still got it somewhere in my
    overstuffed closet, that really could use a good cleaning.

    ---
    A little kindness goes a long way !

    , Jan 5, 2008