    Any help will be appreciated. I do not see any suggestions on AIM's support page that addresses
    this problem.

    Tony

    Tony, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Tony

    AG Guest

    "Tony" < > wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a customer's computer that was brought in because it could no

    longer access AIM. Has anyone
    > come across this problem? The PC is connected to a cable modem. I am able

    to browse the net. When I
    > try to go on AIM, it never connects, even while I am accessing the

    internet. I uninstalled it
    > completely and did a re-boot (Windows XP Home). I then reinstalled it but

    the same thing is
    > happening.
    >
    > I booted into Safe Mode and I am able to access AIM. So, something is

    being loaded in Normal mode
    > that is preventing AIM from working. There is no firewall and I tried

    different user accounts and
    > passwords and the results are that it always works in Safe Mode and never

    works in Normal Windows.

    > Any help will be appreciated. I do not see any suggestions on AIM's

    support page that addresses
    > this problem.
    >
    > Tony

    Check for firewalls. I've had trouble with just about all of them one time
    of another suddenly blocking a particular application. Zone Alarm suddenly
    started blocking OE on my personal PC, even though it was set to allow it in
    the list.
    AG

    AG, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    TonyOn Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:42:24 -0500, "AG" <> wrote:

    >"Tony" < > wrote in message
    >> I have a customer's computer that was brought in because it could no

    >longer access AIM. Has anyone
    >> come across this problem? The PC is connected to a cable modem. I am able

    >to browse the net. When I
    >> try to go on AIM, it never connects, even while I am accessing the

    >internet. I uninstalled it
    >> completely and did a re-boot (Windows XP Home). I then reinstalled it but

    >the same thing is
    >> happening.
    >>
    >> I booted into Safe Mode and I am able to access AIM. So, something is

    >being loaded in Normal mode
    >> that is preventing AIM from working. There is no firewall and I tried

    >different user accounts and
    >> passwords and the results are that it always works in Safe Mode and never

    >works in Normal Windows.
    >>
    >> Any help will be appreciated. I do not see any suggestions on AIM's

    >support page that addresses
    >> this problem.
    >>
    >> Tony

    >Check for firewalls. I've had trouble with just about all of them one time
    >of another suddenly blocking a particular application. Zone Alarm suddenly
    >started blocking OE on my personal PC, even though it was set to allow it in
    >the list.
    >AG

    Read my post again. I said that there is no firewall. I am aware that ports can be blocked at the
    firewall. I was a network admin.

    Thanks

    Tony, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:28:05 -0500, Reign <> wrote:

    >Have you tried a different port and/or letting it try to automatically
    >configure the host and port?
    >
    >My AIM > Preferences > Sign On/Off > Connection > Auto Configure...

    I have tried everything. I did autoconfigure and it just hangs there. This is real weird. The
    internet is fully accessible to browse, I can get email and newsgroups. Nothing is setup differently
    than on the hudreds of other pcs I have worked on. Name and password are correct. Other pcs on the
    lan can use AOL IM with no problem. And it works in Safe Mode. Go figure. I uninstalled AIM and
    removed all references of it in the registry. I am baffled.

    Tony

    Tony, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Tony

    Paul Guest

    Some Linksys home routers have knowen issues with AOL IM that was
    fixed with a firmware upgrade. Wireless ones for sure, don't know
    about non-wireless.

    If you got the time, try a sniffer and compare safe mode traffic to
    no-safe mode. Actually, you may want to start with a look at one of
    those online port scanners, see if any are closed when not in safe
    mode.

    If you get a resolution, post it here, I'd like to know.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Whitehead

    Toronto Area I.T. Support
    www.rapidcomputer.com

    Paul, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    This is definitely a computer-specific problem. We have 3 other PCs running XP on the Lan and all of
    them can get on to AIM. PLus, since I am able to access AIM on the questionable PC when in Safe
    Mode, it cannot be a Linksys issue. We are wired.

    Tony

    Tony, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Tony

    Paul Guest

    Probably going over old ground here, but have you used msconfig to
    stop all non-microsoft services and to disable all startup entries in
    the registry.?

    Have you run something like AdAware?

    If you're ok in safe mode, then it really looks like interference from
    a third party app.

    Another thought is to try some other IM client like Jabber that can
    talk to AOL IM. That should determine if its the AOL IM app or
    networking is the source of the problem.

    Paul, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Tony

    kagnom_nj Guest

    I agree. There is something that is stopping AIM to cause you to not
    connect that isn't network related. You probably got Adware/Spyware/A
    trojan/A Virus.

    Try running AdAware 6.0, then a virus scan (Norton or Mcafee).
    Finanlly....give that guy the latest M$ updates then try running AIM.

    ANOTHER thing you can try is to do a system restore from a point in
    time before it started crapping out on him. If all works with aim then
    STILL do the above so that it may/may not happen again. Then advise to
    your client to do a search on the latest updates on MS' Site.

    Good luck and please let us know how you dealt with this issue.

    kagnom_nj, Apr 21, 2004
  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Re: AOL Instant Messenger cannot connect -SOLVED

    I tried connecting again last night and could not. So, I brought up the task manager and started
    killing some Applications one at a time. As soon as I stopped raservices, AIM connected. I am not
    sure what raservices is. I will assume it has something to do with Real Audio but I am no sure as of
    this point in time,

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Tony

    Tony, Apr 22, 2004