AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) simple question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jersie0, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. jersie0

    jersie0 Guest

    I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to
    use it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
    "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting
    separate screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be
    using it at any one time.

    There MUST be a way to do this, right?
    jersie0, Feb 15, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. jersie0

    Who Guest

    jersie0 writes:

    > I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to use
    > it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
    > "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting separate
    > screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be using it at any
    > one time.
    >
    > There MUST be a way to do this, right?



    not neccesarily, AOL is pretty rudimentary software.
    Who, Feb 15, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. jersie0

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:05:31 -0500, "Who" <> wrote:

    >jersie0 writes:
    >
    >> I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to use
    >> it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
    >> "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting separate
    >> screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be using it at any
    >> one time.
    >>
    >> There MUST be a way to do this, right?

    >
    >
    >not neccesarily, AOL is pretty rudimentary software.


    My daughter and a friend set up AIM for both of them on my computer.
    Just use the different names and try it. I don't think there should be
    a problem. I don't even use aol but the AIM seems to be quite popular
    with the younger crowd.
    Good luck.
    joevan
    joevan, Feb 15, 2004
    #3
  4. jersie0

    WCH Guest

    If the second (third, etc) person has already established an AIM account,
    just have them sign in their user name and password, then log on. That's
    it. You don't need multiple instances of the software or anything. Does
    that answer your question?
    WC

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:05:31 -0500, "Who" <> wrote:
    >
    > >jersie0 writes:
    > >
    > >> I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to use
    > >> it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
    > >> "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting

    separate
    > >> screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be using it at

    any
    > >> one time.
    > >>
    > >> There MUST be a way to do this, right?

    > >
    > >
    > >not neccesarily, AOL is pretty rudimentary software.

    >
    > My daughter and a friend set up AIM for both of them on my computer.
    > Just use the different names and try it. I don't think there should be
    > a problem. I don't even use aol but the AIM seems to be quite popular
    > with the younger crowd.
    > Good luck.
    > joevan
    WCH, Feb 15, 2004
    #4
  5. jersie0

    jersie0 Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:06:50 GMT, "WCH"
    <> wrote:

    >If the second (third, etc) person has already established an AIM account,
    >just have them sign in their user name and password, then log on. That's
    >it. You don't need multiple instances of the software or anything. Does
    >that answer your question?
    >WC


    Yeah, thanks. Keeping the AIM crowd happy is not exactly "Priority
    One" right now for me, but at least I now have the knowledge that I
    need to have.

    As long as I'm asking questions, does AIM have a capability to log
    usage? Not necessarily what was said and with whom, but who was
    logged on at what times?
    jersie0, Feb 15, 2004
    #5
  6. jersie0

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:20:49 GMT, jersie0 <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:06:50 GMT, "WCH"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>If the second (third, etc) person has already established an AIM account,
    >>just have them sign in their user name and password, then log on. That's
    >>it. You don't need multiple instances of the software or anything. Does
    >>that answer your question?
    >>WC

    >
    >Yeah, thanks. Keeping the AIM crowd happy is not exactly "Priority
    >One" right now for me, but at least I now have the knowledge that I
    >need to have.
    >
    >As long as I'm asking questions, does AIM have a capability to log
    >usage? Not necessarily what was said and with whom, but who was
    >logged on at what times?

    If you really want to be up on everything, then use a key logger.
    HomeKeyLogger, is one. It's up to you.
    Other than that I would like to know also.
    http://www.spyarsenal.com/index.html?smp

    joevan
    joevan, Feb 15, 2004
    #6
  7. jersie0

    WCH Guest

    Not to my knowledge, it does not. Although, there may be something buried
    in "parental settings" or some such, an area I've not frequented. Still, I
    doubt it. Keystroke loggers would do the trick (and much more, if you're
    into monitoring), as another poster has noted.
    WC

    "jersie0" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:06:50 GMT, "WCH"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >If the second (third, etc) person has already established an AIM account,
    > >just have them sign in their user name and password, then log on. That's
    > >it. You don't need multiple instances of the software or anything. Does
    > >that answer your question?
    > >WC

    >
    > Yeah, thanks. Keeping the AIM crowd happy is not exactly "Priority
    > One" right now for me, but at least I now have the knowledge that I
    > need to have.
    >
    > As long as I'm asking questions, does AIM have a capability to log
    > usage? Not necessarily what was said and with whom, but who was
    > logged on at what times?
    WCH, Feb 16, 2004
    #7
  8. >As long as I'm asking questions, does AIM have a capability to log
    >usage? Not necessarily what was said and with whom, but who was
    >logged on at what times?

    In-directly it can, just get them to Instant Message you once, then
    never close the chat window. It'll then record the time logged in and
    out until you close the window....
    John H. Guillory, Feb 16, 2004
    #8
  9. jersie0

    Mike245 Guest

    jersie0 wrote:

    > I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to
    > use it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
    > "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting
    > separate screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be
    > using it at any one time.
    >
    > There MUST be a way to do this, right?

    Try alternatives like gaim and trillian.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now
    http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    Mike245, Feb 16, 2004
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Contro

    Just uninstalled AOL instant messenger, but...

    Contro, Jun 28, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    700
    Diabolic Preacher
    Jun 28, 2003
  2. Guest

    AOL Instant Messenger

    Guest, Oct 26, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    687
    Boomer
    Nov 4, 2003
  3. TJ

    AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and Audio

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    4,549
    Thund3rstruck
    Dec 7, 2003
  4. chickensnot

    AIM (aol instant messenger)

    chickensnot, Jun 20, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    557
    uh Clem
    Jun 23, 2005
  5. mistuh

    aim/aol messenger question

    mistuh, Oct 1, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    505
    mistuh
    Oct 1, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page