    a DHCP server, and set the computer(s) behind the router to accept the IP
    address? If there's an FAQ on this type of a setup, let me know!!

    Thanks in advance - Steve

    Stephen Granger, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Stephen  Granger

    Drifter Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:08:24 GMT, "Stephen Granger"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >In a few days, I'm heading up to the brother-in-law's house to re-format his
    >hard drive and re-install windows... He currently connects to the internet
    >with AOL for Broadband, via Time-Warner cable (in NY). I'm not familiar
    >with how AOL is used as an ISP. I think they had some special software or
    >something that ran on their computer whenever they started the computer up.
    >
    >Question: with AOL and an ISP, do you really need the "AOL for broadband"
    >software? Or can you just set the machine up to "accept an IP address
    >automatically" from whatever DHCP server there is upstream? I've got
    >time-warner cable with Earthlink as an ISP....and while Earthlink sends you
    >software you can use, you really don't need it. Just wanted to see if AOL
    >was the same way.
    >
    >Also, if we were to install a Linksys BEFSR41 router in an AOL setup, do you
    >just let the router accept the DHCP-assigned address, set the Linksys to be
    >a DHCP server, and set the computer(s) behind the router to accept the IP
    >address? If there's an FAQ on this type of a setup, let me know!!
    >
    >Thanks in advance - Steve

    Why don't you call AOL and ask them?

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Stephen  Granger

    Todd Howard Guest

    Ya, cause AOHell is just gonna say "ya go ahead and dump our bloatware, you
    dont really need it...."....
    TH

    Todd Howard, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Stephen  Granger

    Todd Howard Guest

    Sorry that last comment was meant for "Drifter".....I dont use AOL, but I
    sure someone will be able to help out the OP in here...
    TH

    Todd Howard, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Stephen  Granger

    Night_Seer Guest

    Stephen Granger wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > In a few days, I'm heading up to the brother-in-law's house to
    > re-format his hard drive and re-install windows... He currently
    > connects to the internet with AOL for Broadband, via Time-Warner
    > cable (in NY). I'm not familiar with how AOL is used as an ISP. I
    > think they had some special software or something that ran on their
    > computer whenever they started the computer up.
    >
    > Question: with AOL and an ISP, do you really need the "AOL for
    > broadband" software? Or can you just set the machine up to "accept
    > an IP address automatically" from whatever DHCP server there is
    > upstream? I've got time-warner cable with Earthlink as an ISP....and
    > while Earthlink sends you software you can use, you really don't need
    > it. Just wanted to see if AOL was the same way.
    >
    > Also, if we were to install a Linksys BEFSR41 router in an AOL setup,
    > do you just let the router accept the DHCP-assigned address, set the
    > Linksys to be a DHCP server, and set the computer(s) behind the
    > router to accept the IP address? If there's an FAQ on this type of a
    > setup, let me know!!
    >
    > Thanks in advance - Steve

    I'm pretty sure AOL for Broadband is just an addon package that isn't
    really needed. The real ISP is Time-Warner Cable, and he pays extra for
    AOL. But, and a big but it is, you have to have the software running to
    use their email services (that or go to www.aol.com and check your email
    there). I am not totally positive, so I would dowble check the ISP, and
    possibly call AOL (they will most likely want you to install the
    software.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Feb 18, 2004