    Chuck Guest

    BlankMy daughter uses aol dial up.....she drops calls constantly. I installed a new Intel modem, plus the drivers that came with the modem (using (98SE), checked thru the control panel as install OK....set the modem to 56K......STILL DROPPING CONNECTIONS!!

    Any thought appreciated....
    Chuck, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Chuck

    Basket Case Guest

    Blank
    >"Chuck" <> wrote in message
    >My daughter uses aol dial up.....she drops calls constantly. I installed a

    new >Intel modem, plus the drivers that came with the modem (using (98SE),
    >checked thru the control panel as install OK....set the modem to
    >56K......STILL DROPPING CONNECTIONS!!
    >
    >Any thought appreciated....

    That is a problem with AOL. Either get used to it, or find a different ISP.

    -BC
    Basket Case, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Chuck

    Wizard Guest

    90% of lost dialup connections are the result of faulty wiring from the
    connection on the outside of your house, in through to the modem.

    Wizard, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Chuck

    Thor Guest

    "Basket Case" <> wrote in message
    > Blank
    > >"Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > >My daughter uses aol dial up.....she drops calls constantly. I installed

    > new >Intel modem, plus the drivers that came with the modem (using (98SE),
    > >checked thru the control panel as install OK....set the modem to
    > >56K......STILL DROPPING CONNECTIONS!!
    > >
    > >Any thought appreciated....

    > That is a problem with AOL. Either get used to it, or find a different

    ISP.

    Or the overall quality of their phone lines. Either can do it. In my locale,
    shitty phone lines are an exceedingly common thing, and the most comon
    reason for sropped connections in my area. I find that the best thing one
    can do is make sure you have a decent modem. US Robotics models tend to
    connect the most reliably in my experience. ActionTec and Zoom modems are
    typically very good as well.
    Thor, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Chuck

    slick Guest

    I must say I agree. The lines around me are ancient and very outdated.
    I was forced to switch to DSL because of it. Also, if your house is older
    than about seven years old, the code for wall wiring was thinner so the
    wiring can't handle 56K.

    Sorry

    slick, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Chuck

    Thor Guest

    "slick" <> wrote in message
    > I must say I agree. The lines around me are ancient and very

    outdated.
    > I was forced to switch to DSL because of it. Also, if your house is older
    > than about seven years old, the code for wall wiring was thinner so the
    > wiring can't handle 56K.

    56k problems most largely involve one or more of three possible causes.
    Either there are too many D/A conversions between you and the ISP, too much
    line noise, or modem incompatibilities between you and the ISP. I service a
    large rural area, so I deal with customers in old houses all the time, as
    well as new homes. The big factor seems to be rural phone lines, as the
    in-town people get 56K at roughly 98% of the time, and that includes some of
    the oldest homes in the county with positively ancient phone wiring. People
    who live miles outside of town have the diciest connections, and 56k is
    roughly a 50% success rate at best. So it's not the age of the homes in my
    area at least that is the main stumbling block.
    Thor, Mar 1, 2004