    with as many access numbers.

    Comments & suggestions welcome.

    Thanks

    Jack B. Pollack, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Jack B. Pollack

    Harrison Guest

    Most ISP's do not allow SMTP traffic through their server unless you are connected via their servers.
    The fix is to change the SMTP server to match the current connection.
    If he/she is connected through AOL, then they'll need to use the AOL SMTP server.
    They can still use the original e-mail address, but the outgoing mail server must match the current connection.

    Harrison, Feb 18, 2004

  3. As far as I know AOL does not have a SMTP server, their email system is
    proprietary. Am I not correct?

    Jack B. Pollack, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Jack B. Pollack

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:46:54 -0500, "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote:

    >As far as I know AOL does not have a SMTP server, their email system is
    >proprietary. Am I not correct?

    Probably. I'm not that familiar with AOL.
    They could talk with their regular ISP and ask if there is a way to set up to send mail through and AOL connection.
    Possibly, they would use the "SMTP server requires authentication" option.
    Otherwise, their regular ISP should have a web-based email solution they could use while traveling.

    Harrison, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Jack B. Pollack

    Dan Shea Guest

    wrote:

    >Can anyone confirm this or offer any comments:
    >(I am not a fan of AOL either, so lets not go down that road).
    >
    >Client is using AOL for travelogue Internet access to POP & SMTP hosted
    >email accounts.
    >Recently he complains that he can not send SMTP email while connected to AOL
    >(he used to be able to).
    >
    >Is AOL blocking port 25?

    As Harrison said, more likely, his ISP won't accept SMTP mail from
    users on other networks. Try asking them.

    >He travels nationally & internationally and AOL has so many local numbers.
    >
    >What are his options if AOL is now blocking port 25?
    >If he switches ISPs I think he will have a hard time finding another ISP
    >with as many access numbers.

    There are many other national and international ISPs, including
    prepaid ones. But if it's his home ISP that's not accepting external
    SMTP traffic, none of those will work to send e-mail either.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Jack B. Pollack

    Dan Shea Guest

    wrote:

    >What are his options if AOL is now blocking port 25?
    >If he switches ISPs I think he will have a hard time finding another ISP
    >with as many access numbers.

    Here's a couple ideas...

    Sign your client up for one of the many "promiscuous" mail services
    that don't care where you send your mail from and will let you use
    their SMTP servers from anywhere.

    Or install a little SMTP server directly on the laptop.
    http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html is a good one. If you go that
    route, though, you may run in to problems with AOL not forwarding the
    mail...

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Jack B. Pollack spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <>

    > Can anyone confirm this or offer any comments:
    > (I am not a fan of AOL either, so lets not go down that road).
    >
    > Client is using AOL for travelogue Internet access to POP & SMTP hosted
    > email accounts.
    > Recently he complains that he can not send SMTP email while connected to
    > AOL (he used to be able to).
    >
    > Is AOL blocking port 25?
    > He travels nationally & internationally and AOL has so many local numbers.
    >
    > What are his options if AOL is now blocking port 25?
    > If he switches ISPs I think he will have a hard time finding another ISP
    > with as many access numbers.

    Due to the many mass-mailing viruses, a lot of ISPs are blocking outgoing
    port 25, in an attempt to slow the spread...

    Only suggestion I have is to either mail from AOL, use some sort of
    webmail, or find an ISP that doesn't plan to do this...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_N0i, Feb 18, 2004
  8. Jack B. Pollack

    Adam Bailey Guest

    In article <>,
    "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote:

    > Client is using AOL for travelogue Internet access to POP & SMTP hosted
    > email accounts.
    > Recently he complains that he can not send SMTP email while connected to AOL
    > (he used to be able to).
    >
    > Is AOL blocking port 25?

    AOL will do one of two things with port 25 connections. Which depends
    on a variety of factors, including the current phase of the moon and
    the amount of pollen in the air.

    1) AOL does nothing to port 25 connections. You can connect to any
    non-local SMTP server that will let you in. Many will refuse non-local
    connections, and many will drop mail from AOL sent in this manner.

    2) AOL will redirect the connection to a local SMTP proxy that
    features heavy rate limiting and will identify the sender's AOL screen
    name in an X- header.

    --
    Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois

    Adam Bailey, Feb 20, 2004
  9. Howdy!

    "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone confirm this or offer any comments:
    > (I am not a fan of AOL either, so lets not go down that road).
    >
    > Client is using AOL for travelogue Internet access to POP & SMTP hosted
    > email accounts.
    > Recently he complains that he can not send SMTP email while connected to

    AOL
    > (he used to be able to).
    >
    > Is AOL blocking port 25?

    Yes.

    > He travels nationally & internationally and AOL has so many local numbers.
    >
    > What are his options if AOL is now blocking port 25?

    Err - use his AOL mail account?

    Use a web based email server?

    > If he switches ISPs I think he will have a hard time finding another ISP
    > with as many access numbers.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 20, 2004