    regret doing now)

    Any help with this would be much appreciated.

    Cheers - Den.

    Den, Sep 5, 2007

  2. Den <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    > being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    > something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
    > bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    > downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
    > which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
    > AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
    > regret doing now)
    >
    > Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers - Den.

    AOL does not provide access to NNTP Usenet servers for their
    customers so you need to either look for a free news service (e.g.
    <http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php>) or subscribe to a pay
    service such as http://www.giganews.com.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Sep 5, 2007

  3. Den

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:16:37 -0700, Den wrote:

    >Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    >being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    >something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a

    Usually yes, check other Google Groper posts.

    >bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    >downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,

    This is even worse and when you combine GG/AOL you surpass even NTL as
    the new AOL'ers.

    You are really heading downhill fast :)

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 5, 2007
  4. Den

    Den Guest

    On 5 Sep, 20:53, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:16:37 -0700, Den wrote:
    > >Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    > >being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    > >something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a

    > Usually yes, check other Google Groper posts.
    >
    > >bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    > >downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,

    > This is even worse and when you combine GG/AOL you surpass even NTL as
    > the new AOL'ers.
    >
    > You are really heading downhill fast :)
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.

    Den, Sep 5, 2007
  5. Den

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-05, Den <> wrote:
    > On 5 Sep, 20:53, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:16:37 -0700, Den wrote:
    >> >Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    >> >being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    >> >something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a

    >> Usually yes, check other Google Groper posts.
    >>
    >> >bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    >> >downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,

    >> This is even worse and when you combine GG/AOL you surpass even NTL as
    >> the new AOL'ers.
    >>
    >> You are really heading downhill fast :)
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    > Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.

    Be of good cheer, all is not lost. You can sign up with
    <http://www.individual.net/> for 10 Euros a year and get one of the best
    news-servers there is at any price. If you use that one, people won't even
    know that you're using an AOL internet connection :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 5, 2007
  6. John Wunderlich wrote:
    > Den <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    >> being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    >> something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
    >> bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    >> downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
    >> which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
    >> newsgroups.
    >>
    >> My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
    >> AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
    >> regret doing now)
    >>
    >> Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers - Den.
    >>

    > AOL does not provide access to NNTP Usenet servers for their
    > customers so you need to either look for a free news service (e.g.
    ><http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php>) or subscribe to a pay
    > service such as http://www.giganews.com.

    And of course when AOHell dropped NNTP, they emailed their users and
    recommended they become Google Gropers. Okay, their language was a bit
    less negative. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 5, 2007
  7. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-09-05, Den <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Usually yes, check other Google Groper posts.

    >>> This is even worse and when you combine GG/AOL you surpass even NTL as
    >>> the new AOL'ers.
    >>>
    >>> You are really heading downhill fast :)
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Me

    >> Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.

    > Be of good cheer, all is not lost. You can sign up with
    ><http://www.individual.net/> for 10 Euros a year and get one of the best
    > news-servers there is at any price. If you use that one, people won't even
    > know that you're using an AOL internet connection :))

    Now it's going to say, "but I don't live in Europe!" :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 5, 2007
  8. Den

    Mara Guest

    On 5 Sep 2007 22:10:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >John Wunderlich wrote:
    >> Den <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    >>> being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    >>> something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
    >>> bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    >>> downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
    >>> which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
    >>> newsgroups.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
    >>> AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
    >>> regret doing now)
    >>>
    >>> Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers - Den.
    >>>

    >> AOL does not provide access to NNTP Usenet servers for their
    >> customers so you need to either look for a free news service (e.g.
    >><http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php>) or subscribe to a pay
    >> service such as http://www.giganews.com.

    >And of course when AOHell dropped NNTP, they emailed their users and
    >recommended they become Google Gropers. Okay, their language was a bit
    >less negative. :)

    I wonder if it's called "The Eternal October" now. If not it probably should be.

    --
    I understand that Google are going to release a beta version of Google
    Fuckwit shortly. Google Fuckwit will be used alongside Google Groups

    Mara, Sep 5, 2007
  9. Den

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-05, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >>> Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.

    >> Be of good cheer, all is not lost. You can sign up with
    >><http://www.individual.net/> for 10 Euros a year and get one of the best
    >> news-servers there is at any price. If you use that one, people won't even
    >> know that you're using an AOL internet connection :))

    > Now it's going to say, "but I don't live in Europe!" :)

    Lassen Sie uns warten und sehen ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 5, 2007
  10. Den

    Top Guest

    Den wrote:

    > Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    > being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    > something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
    > bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    > downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
    > which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
    > AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
    > regret doing now)
    >
    > Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers - Den.

    There are some free newsreaders that do quite well. Xnews is one of the
    best around. Google for "newsreaders free" and there will be a list
    many more.

    http://freeusenetnews.com/newspage.html?date=Any Date will gt a list
    of free news servers. Onething to look at while checking the list is
    posting. Some servers don't allow only downloading.

    Enjoy - Top

    Top, Sep 5, 2007
  11. Den

    Top Guest

    Den wrote:

    > Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    > being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    > something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
    > bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    > downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
    > which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
    > AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
    > regret doing now)
    >
    > Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers - Den.

    I should have asked, is AOL your only internet/usenet provider? If so
    someone else will have to answer. I don't use AOL so I'm not up to speed
    on AOL.

    Top

    Top, Sep 5, 2007
  12. Den

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:00:34 -0700, Den wrote:

    >> You are really heading downhill fast :)

    > Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.

    More correctly, it appears that you were born stupid, and are destined to
    remain so for all eternity.

    Bugger off, dimwit. Newsgroups are way over your head. Just go play in
    the corner.

    Dan C, Sep 5, 2007
  13. Mara wrote:
    > On 5 Sep 2007 22:10:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>And of course when AOHell dropped NNTP, they emailed their users and
    >>recommended they become Google Gropers. Okay, their language was a bit
    >>less negative. :)

    > I wonder if it's called "The Eternal October" now. If not it probably should be.

    I'd say something about "The Eternal Grope" but it sounds like soft
    pron. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 6, 2007
  14. Top wrote:
    > Den wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    >> being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    >> something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
    >> bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    >> downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
    >> which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
    >> newsgroups.
    >>
    >> My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
    >> AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
    >> regret doing now)
    >>
    >> Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers - Den.

    > There are some free newsreaders that do quite well. Xnews is one of
    > the best around. Google for "newsreaders free" and there will be a
    > list many more.
    >
    > http://freeusenetnews.com/newspage.html?date=Any Date will gt a list
    > of free news servers. Onething to look at while checking the list is
    > posting. Some servers don't allow only downloading.

    How come nobody ever gives him/her *my* link (new site, see sig)? :)

    I mean, if y'all finally do get the Groper using a real news client (do
    you know how much time y'all are going to have to spend getting it
    configured for him?) he's/she's going to want to filter Gropers, right?
    ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 6, 2007
  15. Den

    Mara Guest

    On 5 Sep 2007 23:10:03 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On 5 Sep 2007 22:10:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>>And of course when AOHell dropped NNTP, they emailed their users and
    >>>recommended they become Google Gropers. Okay, their language was a bit
    >>>less negative. :)

    >> I wonder if it's called "The Eternal October" now. If not it probably should be.

    >I'd say something about "The Eternal Grope" but it sounds like soft
    >pron. :)

    Yow! My head! (the two phrases spawned cognitive dissonance)

    Mara, Sep 6, 2007
  16. Den

    Vanguard Guest

    "Den" wrote in message
    > Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    > being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    > something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
    > bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    > downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
    > which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
    > AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which
    > regret doing now)

    I used aioe.org for awhile. They're free. I quit because the owner
    was playing around with their own anti-spam algorithms some of which
    violate RFCs for Usenet and some which are just plain stupid. At the
    time I used them, they limited you to 25 posts per day.

    Be careful of the freebie NSPs. Some slap spam signatures onto your
    posts, like Teranews. While you might've gotten some insults because
    of using Google Groups, you'll probably get just as slammed, or more,
    for being a spamming affiliate with your spamified posts. If using a
    freebie NSP, post to an *.test group to see what your posts end up
    looking like. You could lurk over at alt.free.newsservers to see what
    some users think of various free NSPs.

    If you want to participate in Microsoft's newsgroups
    (microsoft.public.*) then you can connect to their NNTP host at
    msnews.microsoft.com. If you have quotas at your current NSP then
    using Microsoft's will reduce your quota consumption on that other
    NSP.

    Vanguard, Sep 6, 2007
  17. Den

    Den Guest

    On 5 Sep, 23:58, Dan C <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:00:34 -0700, Den wrote:
    > >> You are really heading downhill fast :)

    > > Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.

    > More correctly, it appears that you were born stupid, and are destined to
    > remain so for all eternity.
    >
    > Bugger off, dimwit. Newsgroups are way over your head. Just go play in
    > the corner.
    >
    > --
    > "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin pleaded to be spanked again.

    You are being a real prick,do you realise that? I may not know
    everything there is about computers mate, but I can spot people like
    you a mile off.

    You obviously have a problem with yourself, if you feel the need to
    write insults like you do from behind the safety of your keyboard,
    with no apparent provocation. Bullied in School were we? I wonder if
    you say stuff like this to peoples faces in real life, but somehow I
    seriously doubt it.

    I feel sorry for you mate.

    If anyone else reads this, then thanks a lot for the positive posts.
    Maybe you should give some advice to 'Dan C' as to how to treat people
    (online, of course - I'm almost certain he would not do it in a real
    life situation), and also maybe post some links which may help him
    increase his self esteem.

    Cheers - Den.

    Den, Sep 6, 2007
  18. Den

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:14:57 -0700, Den wrote:

    >> Bugger off, dimwit. Newsgroups are way over your head. Just go play in
    >> the corner.

    > You are being a real prick,do you realise that? I may not know
    > everything there is about computers mate, but I can spot people like
    > you a mile off.

    Bugger off, you ignorant little AOL/Google Groper loser. Just run along.

    Dan C, Sep 6, 2007
  19. Den

    Den Guest

    On 6 Sep, 18:17, Dan C <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:14:57 -0700, Den wrote:
    > >> Bugger off, dimwit. Newsgroups are way over your head. Just go play in
    > >> the corner.

    > > You are being a real prick,do you realise that? I may not know
    > > everything there is about computers mate, but I can spot people like
    > > you a mile off.

    > Bugger off, you ignorant little AOL/Google Groper loser. Just run along.
    >
    > --
    > "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin pleaded to be spanked again.

    I meant what I said - you should seek some help for your attitude
    problem. Try and follow the example of the nice, reasonable people who
    realise that not everyone is an expert on everything.

    I would imagine that someone as incredibly clever as you must be
    hugely financially wealthy (not unlike the creators of AOL and Google,
    I would imagine). Just goes to show eh, money does not make you happy!

    Den, Sep 6, 2007
  20. Den

    Den Guest

    On 6 Sep, 00:13, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Top wrote:
    > > Den wrote:

    > >> Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
    > >> being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
    > >> something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
    > >> bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
    > >> downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
    > >> which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
    > >> newsgroups.

    > >> My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
    > >> AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
    > >> regret doing now)

    > >> Any help with this would be much appreciated.

    > >> Cheers - Den.

    > > There are some free newsreaders that do quite well. Xnews is one of
    > > the best around. Google for "newsreaders free" and there will be a
    > > list many more.

    > >http://freeusenetnews.com/newspage.html?date=Any Datewill gt a list
    > > of free news servers. Onething to look at while checking the list is
    > > posting. Some servers don't allow only downloading.

    > How come nobody ever gives him/her *my* link (new site, see sig)? :)
    >
    > I mean, if y'all finally do get the Groper using a real news client (do
    > you know how much time y'all are going to have to spend getting it
    > configured for him?) he's/she's going to want to filter Gropers, right?
    > ;)
    >
    > --
    > Blinky RLU 297263
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28- Hide quoted text -

    'Groper' speaking. I had a look at your site and it's very impressive.
    Not unlike the type of site I would like to make! Sadly, I now realise
    that unless I spend years trying to learn how to do it, it is unlikely
    to happen. I obviously underestimated how much is involved!

    Clearly, lots of people have a total downer on people who use Google
    as a way of posting messages. I am pretty much a novice at this type
    of stuff, and I am really surprised at the importance you place on
    this. I'm genuinely curious about why this is - surely, providing the
    message appears in the newsgroup, it does not matter how it got there!

    Come on Blinky, I know we got off to a bad start, but enlighten me,
    you are obviously clued up about this. Is there a genuine reason for
    hating 'Gropers', or is it just a bit of snobbery on the part of
    Computer experts?

    Den, Sep 6, 2007