    Plasma TV @ $4999. Does anybody know how they do it?? I mean, even
    MorningStar is selling them @ $6150+gst!

    , Sep 14, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Hi I've just learnt that Stereo World in Auckland is selling 50" AOC
    > Plasma TV @ $4999. Does anybody know how they do it?? I mean, even
    > MorningStar is selling them @ $6150+gst!

    check the model numbers, same?
    I've seen some panasonic plasmas for sale "real cheap" but they don't
    support HDTV(I know we don't have it), and a few other things along the
    "higher quality" lines...

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi I've just learnt that Stereo World in Auckland is selling 50" AOC
    > > Plasma TV @ $4999. Does anybody know how they do it?? I mean, even
    > > MorningStar is selling them @ $6150+gst!

    > check the model numbers, same?
    > I've seen some panasonic plasmas for sale "real cheap" but they don't
    > support HDTV(I know we don't have it), and a few other things along the
    > "higher quality" lines...

    I just emailed them to confirm the model number (PD5084).

    I also did a quick google and couldn't find anywhere IN THE WORLD that
    sells a 50" Plasma (any brand) at that price!! Scam? Second hand being
    sold as new?

    , Sep 14, 2005
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Hi I've just learnt that Stereo World in Auckland is selling 50" AOC
    > Plasma TV @ $4999. Does anybody know how they do it?? I mean, even
    > MorningStar is selling them @ $6150+gst!

    if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Harry Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi I've just learnt that Stereo World in Auckland is selling 50" AOC
    > Plasma TV @ $4999. Does anybody know how they do it?? I mean, even
    > MorningStar is selling them @ $6150+gst!

    What is the resolution?
    It makes an enormous difference. A 127cm plasma with resolution
    of say, 852 x 480, would be cheap compared to a proper resolution
    of 1280 x 768.

    Harry, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi I've just learnt that Stereo World in Auckland is selling 50" AOC
    > > Plasma TV @ $4999. Does anybody know how they do it?? I mean, even
    > > MorningStar is selling them @ $6150+gst!

    > What is the resolution?
    > It makes an enormous difference. A 127cm plasma with resolution
    > of say, 852 x 480, would be cheap compared to a proper resolution
    > of 1280 x 768.

    So far all I'm sure of is that it's 50". I'm still waiting for their
    reply to confirm that it's the same model (PD5084), though from AOC's
    website I only see one 50" model. Is it possible for 2 plasmas to have
    the same official model number but different specs?

    , Sep 14, 2005
  7. Daver Guest

    Not so surprising they were selling 42 HD Panasonic with E50 recorder for
    $5800 when many others were still trying for $6999 without recorder.
    Probably bulk buy just prior to new model as was the case with the
    Panasonic.

    Daver, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Guest

    Daver wrote:
    > Not so surprising they were selling 42 HD Panasonic with E50 recorder for
    > $5800 when many others were still trying for $6999 without recorder.
    > Probably bulk buy just prior to new model as was the case with the
    > Panasonic.

    Problem is they could've priced them at $1000 more and still be the
    cheapest in NZ!! They can't survive making $50 per sale can they?

    , Sep 14, 2005
  9. Daver Guest

    Ratio's not too different to the Panasonic comparision ~$5000 if you leave
    out recorder compared to $6999 at another store.
    AOC was a price breakthrough when the 42inch frst came out.
    Have a read of this:-
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10345681

    Daver, Sep 15, 2005
  10. daemon9 Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:55:05 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi I've just learnt that Stereo World in Auckland is selling 50" AOC
    >> Plasma TV @ $4999. Does anybody know how they do it?? I mean, even
    >> MorningStar is selling them @ $6150+gst!

    > but they don't support HDTV(I know we don't have it), and a few other things
    > along the "higher quality" lines...

    What about dvd players with HDMI output?

    d9

    daemon9, Sep 15, 2005
  11. daemon9 wrote:
    >>>Hi I've just learnt that Stereo World in Auckland is selling 50" AOC
    >>>Plasma TV @ $4999. Does anybody know how they do it?? I mean, even
    >>>MorningStar is selling them @ $6150+gst!

    >>but they don't support HDTV(I know we don't have it), and a few other things
    >>along the "higher quality" lines...

    > What about dvd players with HDMI output?

    no idea, never come across HDMI, so I don't know what it is... also, at
    that point I stopped looking at them.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2005