    Please remove nospam to email me
    Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
    Rincon, GA.31326

    MBell72398, Jun 1, 2004

  2. MBell72398

    mark mandel Guest

    "MBell72398" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am getting the error message C:\windows\system32\config\system is

    missing or
    > corrupt on this customer's pc.
    > This is a common problem I have repaired in the past by doing MS Q307545

    where
    > you make copies of the sytem, software,sam,security and default folders.

    This
    > time, I get an error message when I try to copy the first file (system)

    saying
    > the file does not exsist. I went to the system32/config folder and system

    is
    > NOT there. The others are but not system.
    > Is there anything that can be done at this point other than re-install?

    If I
    > have to re-install, if I rename the "My Documents" folder, will that keep

    it
    > from being wiped out during a re-install?
    > Thanks, Mike
    > Please remove nospam to email me
    > Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
    > Rincon, GA.31326

    Far as I know, you could do a repair/install and wouldn't have to rename
    the "My Documents" folder. However, there may be a faster way to get back
    the file which someone else here could tell you about.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jun 1, 2004

  3. If you can get into windows, have you tried running SFC from the Run box?
    That might do it.

    If not, there is always the repair installation, which I've had great luck
    with, but... this is not neccesarily painless if you have not ordered an
    Update CD from MS. All your files and apps are generally still there, but
    downloading all those critical updates and such again can be a
    time-consuming PIA.

    Jess Fertudei, Jun 1, 2004
  4. MBell72398

    derek / nul Guest

    Hi Michael,

    On 01 Jun 2004 14:12:25 GMT, ospam (MBell72398) wrote:

    > I am getting the error message C:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or
    >corrupt on this customer's pc.
    > This is a common problem

    If you are seeing this as a common problem, then you need to look at the
    hardware, these files only get corrupted with frequent crashes.

    Derek

    derek / nul, Jun 1, 2004
  5. MBell72398

    MBell72398 Guest

    >Hi Michael,
    >
    >On 01 Jun 2004 14:12:25 GMT, ospam (MBell72398) wrote:
    >
    >> I am getting the error message C:\windows\system32\config\system is missing

    >or
    >>corrupt on this customer's pc.
    >> This is a common problem

    >If you are seeing this as a common problem, then you need to look at the
    >hardware, these files only get corrupted with frequent crashes.
    >
    >Derek
    >Thanks for replying Derek. What I meant by this being a common problem is, it

    is a common problem we see here in the shop with lots of pc's that have the XP
    software. I did not mean it is a common problem with this machine. In the past,
    I have fixed this problem by doing the fix MS recommends in the Q ref I
    referred to.
    I did re-install and did not lose the Word documents that were in the "My
    Documents" folder.
    Thanks, Mike

    MBell72398, Jun 2, 2004