    they lose my place on the page and I have to scroll to find it again.

    Netscape used to be able to do that.

    , May 11, 2014

  2. Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2014 09:26:31 -0500, wrote:

    >I'm using FF ver 28 with Win XP.
    >
    >How can I keep Web pages from being refreshed? Pages that keep
    >refreshing - as if I'm too stupid to do it myself, give me a pain when
    >they lose my place on the page and I have to scroll to find it again.
    >
    >Netscape used to be able to do that.

    By the way, I meant "Any way". :eek:)

    , May 11, 2014

  3. Ralph Fox Guest

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/O4FdCN0JxEs/RNEHhBwe384J

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/Ey-TEvRMXdg/bAKvZfZcKz4J

    Ralph Fox, May 11, 2014
  4. Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2014 07:01:03 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 May 2014 09:27:28 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 May 2014 09:26:31 -0500, wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm using FF ver 28 with Win XP.
    >> >
    >> >How can I keep Web pages from being refreshed? Pages that keep
    >> >refreshing - as if I'm too stupid to do it myself, give me a pain when
    >> >they lose my place on the page and I have to scroll to find it again.
    >> >
    >> >Netscape used to be able to do that.

    >> By the way, I meant "Any way". :eek:)

    >https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/O4FdCN0JxEs/RNEHhBwe384J
    >

    >https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/Ey-TEvRMXdg/bAKvZfZcKz4J

    No, a redirect is not my problem. My problem is that certain news
    sites like Drudge have their pages automatically refresh themselves so
    the reader sees any updates that have been added to the page since the
    reader came to it. It's aggravating how often it happens while
    perusing the initial home page of a news site. I don't understand why
    Mozilla hasn't put in a way to stop this nonsense. Netscape had such
    a setting years back.

    , May 12, 2014
  5. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2014 19:49:42 -0500, wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 May 2014 07:01:03 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    > wrote:

    > >> By the way, I meant "Any way". :eek:)

    > >https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/O4FdCN0JxEs/RNEHhBwe384J
    > >

    > >https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/Ey-TEvRMXdg/bAKvZfZcKz4J
    > >

    > No, a redirect is not my problem. My problem is that certain news
    > sites like Drudge have their pages automatically refresh themselves so
    > the reader sees any updates that have been added to the page since the
    > reader came to it.

    The same Firefox setting applies to both redirects AND refreshes.
    If you read the setting, it says (my capitalization)

    Warn me when sites try to redirect OR RELOAD the page

    The "RELOAD" means refresh.

    > It's aggravating how often it happens while
    > perusing the initial home page of a news site. I don't understand why
    > Mozilla hasn't put in a way to stop this nonsense. Netscape had such
    > a setting years back.

    The setting stops both refreshes and redirects. It worked the same
    in Netscape years back.

    Redirects have a delay before the redirect, just like refreshes.
    Redirects can use the same mechanism as refreshes. The one difference
    between a refresh and a redirect using this mechanism is whether the
    target URL is the same as the page you are already on.
    Stopping this mechanism stops refreshes as well as redirects.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, May 12, 2014
  6. Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2014 13:28:32 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 May 2014 19:49:42 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 12 May 2014 07:01:03 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/O4FdCN0JxEs/RNEHhBwe384J
    >> >

    >> >https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/Ey-TEvRMXdg/bAKvZfZcKz4J
    >> >

    >> No, a redirect is not my problem. My problem is that certain news
    >> sites like Drudge have their pages automatically refresh themselves so
    >> the reader sees any updates that have been added to the page since the
    >> reader came to it.

    >The same Firefox setting applies to both redirects AND refreshes.
    >If you read the setting, it says (my capitalization)
    >
    > Warn me when sites try to redirect OR RELOAD the page
    >
    >The "RELOAD" means refresh.
    >

    >> It's aggravating how often it happens while
    >> perusing the initial home page of a news site. I don't understand why
    >> Mozilla hasn't put in a way to stop this nonsense. Netscape had such
    >> a setting years back.

    >The setting stops both refreshes and redirects. It worked the same
    >in Netscape years back.
    >
    >Redirects have a delay before the redirect, just like refreshes.
    >Redirects can use the same mechanism as refreshes. The one difference
    >between a refresh and a redirect using this mechanism is whether the
    >target URL is the same as the page you are already on.
    >Stopping this mechanism stops refreshes as well as redirects.

    Good grief, Charley Brown! How in the hell did I miss that? I guess
    I quit reading after the word "redirect"? But after all this
    time....?

    Well, what in the bleep did you expect from a mumbler?

    Thanks!

    <slinks away in utter humiliation - mumbling, of course>

    , May 12, 2014