Anytime Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Colin Barnhorst, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. For those of you still trying to decide on what sku of Vista to purchase,
    consider a few facts about Anytime Upgrade.

    It is only for upgrading from one edition of Vista to another. You cannot
    use Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from XP to Vista.

    The only upgrades possible are:
    HomeBasic to Home Premium
    Home Basic to Ultimate
    Home Premium to Ultimate
    Business to Ultimate

    Home Basic and Home Premium may not be upgraded to Business via Anytime
    Upgrade.

    (Enterprise is not available to the general public and the upgrade from
    Business to Enterprise is only available to Software Assurance customers.)

    You do not purchase the upgrade certificate from Microsoft. When you access
    the Anytime Upgrade website, Anytime Upgrade checks your present edition of
    Windows and advises you as to what options are available to you. You select
    the option and then you are redirected to a page listing participating
    Microsoft Partners (Best Buy, Amazon, etc) and you purchase the upgrade
    certificate on the Partner's site.

    You must have your Vista dvd to complete the upgrade processing.

    It is always more expensive to use Anytime Upgrade to move to a higher
    edition of Vista than it is to buy that edition in the first place. For
    example, it will cost you more to buy Vista Home Basic and upgrade to Vista
    Home Premium than to just buy Premium.

    Anytime Upgrade certificates are one-time only and are tied to the computer
    for which you purchased the certificate. Even if you purchase a retail
    edition of Vista, only that edition can be transferred to another computer.
    Example: I purchase Home Premium and install it. I buy an Anytime Upgrade
    certificate for Ultimate. Later I buy a new computer and decide to transfer
    my Vista to it. I can only transfer the original Home Premium. The upgrade
    to Ultimate will not transfer because the way the certificate works it can
    only be used on the original computer. It simply won't work on the new one.

    The only way to recover an upgraded copy of Vista is with a full system
    restore. The upgrade certificate is a one-time thing. If you have to do a
    fresh installation of Vista from the dvd the upgrade certificate will not
    work a second time.

    My advice is to make up your mind what you want before buying Vista and not
    get into this type of upgrading. When in doubt, buy up not down. If you
    think you might want Ultimate eventually, buy Ultimate up front.

    Let the flaming begin.
    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 2, 2006

  2. No flaming! This is good solid and sound advice from first to last. Thanks,
    Colin!

    It's a bit sad - the world needs creativity driven companies, but I am
    beginning to think that MS is contemplating shooting themselves in the foot
    with their licensing and upgrading labyrinths, that is a prime example of
    precisely the sort of creativity that we would do very well without.

    There is an old adage, that whichever way you turn, your rear end is behind
    you. Now, it turns out that whichever way you buy from Microsoft it will end
    up costing you more.

    A superficial glance in my crystal ball is telling me: when Vista ships it
    will be an anachronism. It will be a great seller, it may even end up
    earning Microsoft more revenue than anything else, ever. But in five years
    time not many will remember that Microsoft ever existed. Most of those who
    will remember, will not remember what it was they was doing, because greater
    things are in the works!

    I'll remember, though. And for a while, I will miss them for the really
    great things they were doing, they helped start a revolution, and over a
    short, but intensive, period of time they were the driving force of that
    revolution, and then they dissappeared like everything else in evolution.
    They have some smart people there, they know this - hence, this labyrinth.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Colin Barnhorst

    Zapper Guest

    Pass me what he is smoking!!!!!

    <DIV>&quot;Tony Sperling&quot; &lt;&gt; wrote
    in message news:...</DIV>> No flaming!

    Zapper, Sep 3, 2006
  4. O.K. - But can you argue with 'evolution'?

    Tony. . .

    (and, no snicker weed in my smoke!(not anymore))

    Tony Sperling, Sep 3, 2006
  5. Ummm....spear good! (grunt)

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 3, 2006
  6. Your post contradicts some of what I have been told and this page:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/37070041-1b90-4433-be0c-ab2855841b981033.mspx
    Among other things, there is no reason to go to a retail store since the
    necessary small file will be downloaded to your computer when upgrade is
    purchased on line directly from Microsoft.
    Additionally that file can be saved for reuse if the computer needs to be
    rebuilt.
    If desired the disk can also be ordered at time of upgrade sale.

    Also see:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/3af7e05f-4d2a-4af7-a168-9242f9093bb81033.mspx

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]