    to Vista Ultimate via the Anytime Upgrade - does that include the 64-bit
    edition as recently I have found out that my machine is actually dual core.

    If not, what is the best method of getting 64bit ?

    =?Utf-8?B?aGVybzJ6ZXJv?=, May 4, 2007

  2. Dual core is does not always mean 64bit capable. The Core Duo series
    processors are 32bit. The Core 2 Duo series is 64bit. Be certain that you
    have a 64bit cpu, regardless of the number of cores. Post back your cpu
    info if you are in doubt.

    You will need a 64bit edition dvd. The Anytime Upgrade does not provide you
    a new dvd. It uses the dvd you already have, so you would need a dvd for
    64bit versions since the edition you own did not come with one. You can
    obtain a 64bit dvd from MS for a nominal fee. You can also buy the Vista
    Ultimate upgrade edition from many vendors and that will contain the dvd.

    You can use an upgrade edition to migrate from 32bit to 64bit Vista, but you
    must do a custom installation to do it (this does not retain your files,
    settings, or apps). Since the upgrade installation option will be disabled,
    you will not be able to perform an upgrade in place, so use the Windows Easy
    Transfer wizard to save your files and settings to cd, dvd, or external
    storage. After you install 64bit Vista using the custom install option you
    will need to reinstall your apps and use the WET wizard to restore your
    files and settings.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 4, 2007