    CD.

    Thanks for any answers

    James

    James.F, Feb 7, 2008

  2. All retail dvd's are identical for x86 and for x64. All editions of Vista
    are installed using the one x86 or x64 dvd. Your product key determines the
    edition you install and the dvd you use determines whether it is x86 or x64.

    You could use your friend's x64 dvd with your VHP pk to install VHP x64 but
    your pk is not free to use because you used Anytime Upgrade to upgrade to
    Vista Ultimate x86. Your VHP license for that product key is tied to your
    Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade license.

    The Anytime Upgrade can only be used for the edition of Windows currently
    installed on your computer. If you have x86 installed AU will not offer you
    an x64 upgrade. AU cannot be used to migrate from 32bit to 64bit.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 7, 2008

  3. James.F

    Mark Guest

    Not exactly, Colin.
    I could not tell from your write-up how you got to Vista Home Premium.
    I originally upgraded from XP Pro (x86) to Vista Home Premium (x86)
    Later, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate (x86) using Anytime Upgrade.

    I then decided to go to x64, but had to purchase my x64 disk for a whopping
    $7 from Microsoft.
    Purchasing WAU Ultimate does not get you a free x64 disk.

    The requirement is that the path of upgrade/install be the same as the WAU
    license you bought.
    (In my case, I bought a license to upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate.
    So, to use the WAU license for x64, the upgrade path must be the same.)

    A good review of this article is important:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/

    Basic overview of Vista Premium x32 to Vista Anything x64.
    1. Back up everything before you start.
    2. If you upgraded to Vista from XP, wipe the Vista x32 hard drive.
    If you did not upgrade, go to step 4.
    3. Install Win XP Pro(activation not required.)
    4. Change boot sequence to boot from DVD.
    5. Boot from x64 DVD. (Note: Disc must have WAU statement on label.)
    6. Use your Home Premium Product key to install the Home Premium version of
    Vista x64.
    Skip all updates and drivers... you're just going to wipe it again.
    (It may fail at 64% the first time you try. If so, just try again.)
    7. You must activate this installation for Anytime Upgrade to work.
    (This may require a phone call since your other version is less than 120
    days old.)
    8. Now, click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade license and install again to
    get to Ultimate.
    9. Finish installation and updates.

    Works just fine.

    Mark, Feb 7, 2008
  4. James.F

    James.F Guest

    So I can use my Home Premium x64 version to Anytime upgrade to Ultimate x64
    even though I purchased the Anytime Upgrade when I had the 32 bit version of
    Home premium?

    James.F, Feb 7, 2008
  5. James.F

    Mark Guest

    That would be how I did it and it is working just fine for about one year
    now.
    You purchased and installed Vista Home Premium (x86).
    You are entitled to change to x64 with the purchase of a x64 disk which can
    be obtained as "Alternate Media" through the MS website.
    Depending on which link you use, it is either $7, or $10. (Go figure that
    one out.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/2057/ordermedia/default.mspx
    The WAU license you purchased is good for either x86 or x64.

    But, your WAU license to ultimate must follow the same path of upgrade.

    You cannot go from WAU Ultimate (x86) to WAU Ultimate (x64) directly.
    While the MS KB link I provided does not spell it out as clearly as the
    steps I tried to provide, it does indicate it can be done (and I was
    successful.)

    Mark, Feb 7, 2008
  6. James.F

    James.F Guest

    Thanks thats what I needed to know. :)

    James.F, Feb 7, 2008
  7. James.F

    JABowders Guest

    I just recieved My Ultimate Anytime Upgrade and it came as a 32 bit OS only
    on the DVD, in the case there was a little note with a website
    www.windowsvista.com/1033/ordermedia
    for people wanting the 64 bit OS or the OS on CD and not DVD.

    JABowders, May 3, 2008
  8. James.F

    Theo Guest

    Vista x86 (32-bit) is normally on a DVD. The CD option is
    for those without DVD readers and only available in the
    32-bit version.

    Windows Vista Alternate Media

    Congratulations on upgrading to Windows Vista. The retail
    package product ships on DVD with 32-bit edition software,
    but two forms of alternate media are available to help meet
    your specific requirements:

    32-bit CD
    If your system features a CD drive but no DVD drive, you can
    order Windows Vista on CD-ROM. The installation files span
    multiple discs, so unattended installations are not possible.

    64-bit DVD
    If your system features a 64-bit processor, you can take
    advantage of its advanced design by ordering 64-bit software
    media. You'll get the same interface, features, and
    functions, but you'll get them in an operating system that
    takes advantage of access to vastly more memory. All
    installation files are on a single disc. Please note that
    64-bit media is included in the box with the purchase of
    Windows Vista Ultimate.

    Theo, May 3, 2008
  9. 64bits is not available on cd.

    Note: A user can only order one of the two items offerred on this page with
    the same product key. If you order the 32bit cd set you cannot also order
    the 64bit dvd. and vice versa. The second order is accepted but within a
    day or so you receive an email telling you that the order was cancelled, no
    reason given.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 3, 2008