    old MS "Digital Image Suite 9" in its day and this
    is the sort of thing I need.
    Peter

    Peter Jason, Dec 29, 2012

  2. Peter Jason

    Rob Guest

    On 30/12/2012 11:00 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-29 14:59:51 -0800, Peter Jason said:
    >
    >> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
    >> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
    >> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
    >> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
    >> straightforward for this? I was impressed by the
    >> old MS "Digital Image Suite 9" in its day and this
    >> is the sort of thing I need.
    >> Peter

    > As far as LR being the "Best and most straightforward" everybody here
    > will have an opinion. I can only address LR and Bridge and for both, you
    > have to have some system in place that you will understand.
    >
    > The secret for making Lightroom work as a decent catalogue database is
    > to understand the application of "keywords" and "Keyword sets" along
    > with rating. Then setting up an appropriate folder & "collection"
    > hierarchy. This gives you a starting point for seaches and building
    > "smart collections" based on criteria you establish within Lightroom.
    >
    > To start LR can import to a folder labeled with the shoot date. This can
    > be renamed using that date and specifics, regarding trip &/or subject.
    >
    > So on a three day Yosemite trip I might have 2010-11-16 Yosmite,
    > 2010-11-17 Yosemite, & 2010-11-18 Yosemite.
    > Then images in those folders will have "keywords" such as; Half Dome, El
    > Capitan, Yosemite Falls, Glacier Point, Merced river, Lodge, etc.
    >
    > My LR for 2010 looks something like this:
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/LR-2010.jpg >
    >
    > Then you can use LR to rate and cull your shots. Sometimes there is
    > stuff not woth keeping
    >
    > There is always going to be some work involved in making any of these
    > useful to you.
    >
    > Then depending on which version of Photoshop you have, you have a
    > workable catalog program in Bridge. the version of bridge found in CS5
    > or CS6 is a vast improvement over the earlier editions.
    > In my non-Lightroom archive I have a main folder for each year which
    > contains 12 sub-folders for each month of the year. In the monthly
    > folders I have specific date folders which have the RAW files shot that
    > day.
    > It is a simple matter to navigate within that archive with Bridge.
    > My Bridge folder set looks something like this:
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Bridge folders.jpg >

    I have thousands of images as well and trying to understand some sort of
    method of indexing them is a daunting task. I change my mind on a
    regular basis. (Only use PShop/Bridge as my editing programme.)

    I have now tried to keep my images in camera sequence, but will keep
    making subsets of specific location visits. This is convenient as for
    now but I still need to remember heaps more to find a particular image.

    Making key words is the important bit so as to find them again. There
    are so many sub sets.

    I don't have a clue what to do either - but it will always need heaps of
    manual indexing to able searching.

    One important thing which I do is retain the original file numbering,
    and if modified add - mod - then I can find the original again. The
    modified file ends up in a separate printer folder.

    It's a worry!

    Rob, Dec 30, 2012

  3. Peter Jason

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:00:40 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : On 30/12/2012 11:00 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    : >
    :
[...]

    There's no perfect answer. I rely almost exclusively on Windows folders and
    subfolders (in two sets: one on my home computer and one on a server at work),
    organized partly by date and partly by location. This works out pretty well
    and allows me to account for the different requirement on my home and work
    pictures. At home, for example, I organize my folders so as to keep my backup
    files from getting too big; at work it's not an issue.

    Since I have a long commute, I often edit pictures on the train to and from
    work. So at any given time, I have an assortment of both home and work
    pictures on my laptop as offline files (in the Windows 7 sense). I suspect
    this would be hard to do with Lightroom, but I've never actually looked into
    it.

    I used to name my image files by date (e.g., 20121229_01, etc.) and still do
    sometimes. But more and more I've been naming them for their subject or
    location, because it gives me another possible sorting order. The Exif data
    always allow you to sort by date and time, however you name your files.

    My only advice would be to read the manual carefully with your requirements in
    mind before buying any software, so that you don't end up with something you
    don't like or can't easily use.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 30, 2012
  4. Peter Jason

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Peter Jason
    <> wrote:

    > I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
    > order via an easy-to-use database. I already
    > have photoshop, so it's the database I really
    > need. Is Lightroom the best and most
    > straightforward for this?

    yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
    seamlessly with photoshop.

    nospam, Dec 30, 2012
  5. Peter Jason

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > My only advice would be to read the manual carefully with your requirements in
    > mind before buying any software, so that you don't end up with something you
    > don't like or can't easily use.

    reading a manual doesn't tell you much of anything.

    most apps have a free trial, so the best way is to download and try
    them out.

    nospam, Dec 30, 2012
  6. Peter Jason

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:31:08 -0500, nospam <> wrote:
    : In article <>, Robert Coe
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : > My only advice would be to read the manual carefully with your requirements in
    : > mind before buying any software, so that you don't end up with something you
    : > don't like or can't easily use.
    :
    : reading a manual doesn't tell you much of anything.

    You don't say. Maybe a manual doesn't tell *you* much of anything, but I've
    been known to extract quite a bit of information from manuals. Have you
    actually read one? Maybe you'd have the same experience.

    : most apps have a free trial, so the best way is to download and try
    : them out.

    If you say so. You always seem to know pretty much everything. I don't, and
    reading manuals is one of the ways I try to compensate.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 30, 2012
  7. Peter Jason

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > : > My only advice would be to read the manual carefully with your
    > : > requirements in
    > : > mind before buying any software, so that you don't end up with something
    > : > you
    > : > don't like or can't easily use.
    > :
    > : reading a manual doesn't tell you much of anything.
    >
    > You don't say. Maybe a manual doesn't tell *you* much of anything, but I've
    > been known to extract quite a bit of information from manuals.

    not as much as actually using the software does, and in a lot less time
    too.

    > Have you
    > actually read one? Maybe you'd have the same experience.

    there is no substitute for actually using software and seeing what it
    does, how well it fits your needs, how fast or slow it is, whether it
    interoperates with other apps you use and more.

    a user manual will not tell you any of that.

    nospam, Dec 30, 2012
  8. Peter Jason

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:18:00 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:00:40 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    >: On 30/12/2012 11:00 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    >: > On 2012-12-29 14:59:51 -0800, Peter Jason said:
    >: >
    >: >> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
    >: >> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
    >: >> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
    >: >> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
    >: >> straightforward for this? I was impressed by the
    >: >> old MS "Digital Image Suite 9" in its day and this
    >: >> is the sort of thing I need.
    >: >> Peter
    >
    >My only advice would be to read the manual carefully with your requirements in
    >mind before buying any software, so that you don't end up with something you
    >don't like or can't easily use.

    What manual?

    If you want a "manual" on Lightroom, you buy a book on Lightroom.

    You can piece together a manual downloading tutorials and articles,
    but no manual comes with Lightroom.

    Scott Kelby and Martin Evening are two people who really appreciate
    the fact that Lightroom and Photoshop come via download or disk but no
    manual. They're cranking out books with each new version at about $30
    a pop.

    There was a time when software came with thick User Guides with
    instructions, but that day has passed.

    This is an instance of nospam actually being right for a change. He
    says, in another post, to download a trial version and work with it.

    The OP may have a problem, though. The only version available for
    trial download seems to be Lightroom4, and he's asking about
    Lightroom3. He can buy Lightroom3 on eBay, but he can't - as far as I
    can tell - download it for trial. Still, he can buy Lightroom3 for
    about the cost of one manual/book.

    Further, the OP hasn't mentioned what operating system he's using. If
    it's XP, he can't use Lightroom4 or run it as a trial. Lightroom3
    will run on XP.

    There's no doubt in my mind that any version of Lightroom will provide
    him with a good database. His only problem will be in deciding how
    he's going to set up that database so it will be effective for him.
    No book or manual will tell him that. He'll just have to play around
    with the program and work out his own system.

    A date sequence file name (2012-12-28-001) and keywording works for
    me, but may not work for him. The Duck's system sounds excessively
    complicated to me, but it works for him. Where he uses folders I use
    keywords within keywords.

    My computer's motherboard started having mini-strokes so I bought a
    new computer. The old system had XP and the new system is Windows 7.
    So, I moved from Lightroom2 to Lightroom4. I've just started to set
    it up, but so far I haven't seen any improvement in the Library
    function. I don't do editing in Lightroom, so I don't know what's in
    that module that may be different.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Dec 30, 2012
  9. Peter Jason

    Rob Guest

    On 30/12/2012 3:18 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> [...]
    > files from getting too big; at work it's not an issue.
    >
    > Since I have a long commute, I often edit pictures on the train to and from
    > work. So at any given time, I have an assortment of both home and work
    > pictures on my laptop as offline files (in the Windows 7 sense). I suspect
    > this would be hard to do with Lightroom, but I've never actually looked into
    > it.
    >
    > I used to name my image files by date (e.g., 20121229_01, etc.) and still do
    > sometimes. But more and more I've been naming them for their subject or
    > location, because it gives me another possible sorting order. The Exif data
    > always allow you to sort by date and time, however you name your files.
    >
    > My only advice would be to read the manual carefully with your requirements in
    > mind before buying any software, so that you don't end up with something you

    At one stage (10 years ago) I used Extensis Portfolio but after about
    20,000 images that bogged down, crashed, was good for for a small number
    of images when we used film and made scans. I don't think it would keep
    up with the amount of images produced nowdays.

    Rob, Dec 30, 2012
  10. Peter Jason

    Rob Guest

    On 30/12/2012 6:04 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-29 21:47:28 -0800, nospam <> said:
    >
    >> In article <>, Robert Coe
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> : > My only advice would be to read the manual carefully with your
    >>> : > requirements in
    >>> : > mind before buying any software, so that you don't end up with
    >>> something
    >>> : > you
    >>> : > don't like or can't easily use.
    >>> :
    >>> : reading a manual doesn't tell you much of anything.
    >>>
    >>> You don't say. Maybe a manual doesn't tell *you* much of anything,
    >>> but I've
    >>> been known to extract quite a bit of information from manuals.

    >> not as much as actually using the software does, and in a lot less time
    >> too.
    >>
    >>> Have you
    >>> actually read one? Maybe you'd have the same experience.

    >> there is no substitute for actually using software and seeing what it
    >> does, how well it fits your needs, how fast or slow it is, whether it
    >> interoperates with other apps you use and more.
    >>
    >> a user manual will not tell you any of that.

    > ...or you could learn a little from somebody who knows how to wring the
    > most out of LR.
    > < http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html >

    I have never been attracted to Lightroom tried it when there was free
    pre release editions on the Adobe site. But others swear by it.

    Rob, Dec 30, 2012
  11. Peter Jason

    nospam Guest

    In article <kbosi2$hmf$>, Rob
    <> wrote:

    > I have never been attracted to Lightroom tried it when there was free
    > pre release editions on the Adobe site. But others swear by it.

    seriously? free pre-release? that was over 7 years ago.

    nevertheless, even then it was quite good. it's just that much better
    now.

    nospam, Dec 30, 2012
  12. Peter Jason

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 00:06:40 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >> A date sequence file name (2012-12-28-001) and keywording works for
    >> me, but may not work for him. The Duck's system sounds excessively
    >> complicated to me, but it works for him. Where he uses folders I use
    >> keywords within keywords.

    >Not complicated at all. When I import to LR, it creates a date labeled
    >folder with all the imports for a particular shoot. I then rename that
    >folder leaving the date intact, but adding an additional identifier. So
    >I might have two folders with the same date with different location
    >information. For example "2012-12-01 Pismo" & "2012-12-01 Morro Bay".
    >Then I get specific with keywords and sets of keywords.

    I handle it by naming all photos by date and then keywording the trip
    itself with a name and then a keyword within that one attached to the
    Morro Bay photos and another keyword for the Pismo photos if I want to
    be able to bring up only those photos for Morro Bay or Pismo.

    I don't see an advantage to either system. Yours just seemed more
    complicated when I read the post.

    The point is that either of us can quickly find a particular set of
    photos if we follow the system we've set up.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Dec 30, 2012
  13. Peter Jason

    Rob Guest

    On 30/12/2012 7:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-30 00:04:15 -0800, Rob <> said:

    >>> ...or you could learn a little from somebody who knows how to wring the
    >>> most out of LR.
    >>> < http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html >
    >>>

    >> I have never been attracted to Lightroom tried it when there was free
    >> pre release editions on the Adobe site. But others swear by it.

    > LR4 is a very different beast to the LR-beta.
    > It is well worth exploring for reasons beyond its cataloging strengths.
    >
    > ...and there is a trial version of LR4.

    Had a scratch around and found a PDF and eBook on the web.

    Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 by Stephen Laskevitch

    Reading some of the contents has given me some understanding. Bit of an
    eye opener you could say.

    5. Organizing & Archiving Images
    > Rating systems and methods
    > keywords & other Metadate
    > labels: Workflow Landmarks
    > File Management

    So now if I can get my head around that, my images may get into some
    sort of organised chaos.

    Rob, Dec 30, 2012
  14. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:30:58 -0500, nospam
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Peter Jason
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
    >> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
    >> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
    >> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
    >> straightforward for this?

    >yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
    >seamlessly with photoshop.

    Thanks for all replies. I'll start on this.

    Peter Jason, Dec 30, 2012
  15. Peter Jason skrev 2012-12-29 23:59:
    > I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
    > order via an easy-to-use database. I already
    > have photoshop, so it's the database I really
    > need. Is Lightroom the best and most
    > straightforward for this? I was impressed by the
    > old MS "Digital Image Suite 9" in its day and this
    > is the sort of thing I need.
    > Peter

    "The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers" by Peter
    Krogh is a book very well worth reading. It covers most everything with
    respect to workflows, methods and tools for managing digital photos. One
    of the tools covered is Adobe Lightroom.

    Bror Johansson, Dec 31, 2012
  16. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:18:57 +0100, Bror Johansson
    <> wrote:

    >Peter Jason skrev 2012-12-29 23:59:
    >> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
    >> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
    >> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
    >> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
    >> straightforward for this? I was impressed by the
    >> old MS "Digital Image Suite 9" in its day and this
    >> is the sort of thing I need.
    >> Peter
    >>

    >"The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers" by Peter
    >Krogh is a book very well worth reading. It covers most everything with
    >respect to workflows, methods and tools for managing digital photos. One
    >of the tools covered is Adobe Lightroom.

    Thanks, I'm downloading a copy now.

    Peter Jason, Dec 31, 2012
  17. Peter Jason

    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Peter Jason
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
    >> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
    >> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
    >> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
    >> straightforward for this?

    >yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
    >seamlessly with photoshop.

    Lightroom is looking good. I have downloaded it
    and keyworded many photos with the "keyword
    painter" which works great, but I can't find the
    boolean thing that allows selection "and", "or",
    "andnot" etc. to allow more detailed selection
    after keywording, like when seeking an individual
    when associated with another in a certain decade
    etc. I need something like the Google
    search-entry fields.

    Peter Jason, Jan 1, 2013
  18. Peter Jason

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:18:37 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-12-31 20:14:38 -0800, Peter Jason <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:30:58 -0500, nospam
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
    >>> seamlessly with photoshop.

    >> Lightroom is looking good. I have downloaded it
    >> and keyworded many photos with the "keyword
    >> painter" which works great, but I can't find the
    >> boolean thing that allows selection "and", "or",
    >> "andnot" etc. to allow more detailed selection
    >> after keywording, like when seeking an individual
    >> when associated with another in a certain decade
    >> etc. I need something like the Google
    >> search-entry fields.

    >OK!
    >In Lightroom, go to the menu; Library-->Find (command-F on Mac or
    >Control-F Windows) This will Open a text search/find line.
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_102.jpg >
    >
    >Go to the first drop down menu on that line and select "keywords":
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_105.jpg >
    >
    >Then go to the next drop down, and select the control criteria for your
    >search and enter keyword or keywords separated by back-slashes. For
    >example: family/Thanksgiving_2011/Aunt Martha's.
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_104.jpg >
    >
    >I hope that helps some.

    A couple of points, Duck...you've written back-slash but used
    forward-slash. I don't know if that makes a difference or not on a
    Mac.

    However, a slash going either direction doesn't work. What does work
    is a space between the words. (Maybe Macs are special. I use
    Windows)

    What does work for me using your example is:

    Thanksgiving 2011 Aunt Martha's (or just "Aunt" unless there's more
    than one Aunt in which case you could just use "Martha's".

    Here's the Help page for this. The space rule, not a slash, is under
    "Contains All".

    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WSAB7B303E-081D-4617-BF47-B4B8D3D49CC3.html

    What is also helpful if you keyword within keywords is excluding a
    sub-keyword's images.

    For example, if you have the keyword of 2011 and Thanksgiving, Easter,
    and Christmas as keywords within the keyword 2011, then

    Opening 2011 brings up all images keyworded 2011, but searching for
    2011 !Easter brings up all 2011 images except the Easter images.
    Putting ! before a word excludes it.

    I use this because of my particular breakdown of "street" shots.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 1, 2013
  19. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:18:37 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-12-31 20:14:38 -0800, Peter Jason <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:30:58 -0500, nospam
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
    >>> seamlessly with photoshop.

    >> Lightroom is looking good. I have downloaded it
    >> and keyworded many photos with the "keyword
    >> painter" which works great, but I can't find the
    >> boolean thing that allows selection "and", "or",
    >> "andnot" etc. to allow more detailed selection
    >> after keywording, like when seeking an individual
    >> when associated with another in a certain decade
    >> etc. I need something like the Google
    >> search-entry fields.

    >OK!
    >In Lightroom, go to the menu; Library-->Find (command-F on Mac or
    >Control-F Windows) This will Open a text search/find line.
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_102.jpg >
    >
    >Go to the first drop down menu on that line and select "keywords":
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_105.jpg >
    >
    >Then go to the next drop down, and select the control criteria for your
    >search and enter keyword or keywords separated by back-slashes. For
    >example: family/Thanksgiving_2011/Aunt Martha's.
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_104.jpg >
    >
    >I hope that helps some.

    I have a PC, and I found a way.

    In the library mode at the top there are four
    selections: Text/Attribute/Metadata/None.

    Then press "Metadata".

    A Keyword column appears and this can be
    duplicated by clicking on the serrations to
    produce an adjacent identical column, and so on
    for several columns.

    Ctrl clicking one or more keywords in the first
    column gives the Boolean "OR".

    Ctrl clicking one or more keywords one in each of
    the several identical columns gives the Boolean
    "AND".

    Or so it seems so far...

    I'll check out your way now.

    Peter Jason, Jan 1, 2013
  20. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 16:11:16 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-01-01 15:46:18 -0800, Peter Jason <> said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:18:37 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> OK!
    >>> In Lightroom, go to the menu; Library-->Find (command-F on Mac or
    >>> Control-F Windows) This will Open a text search/find line.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_102.jpg >
    >>>
    >>> Go to the first drop down menu on that line and select "keywords":
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_105.jpg >
    >>>
    >>> Then go to the next drop down, and select the control criteria for your
    >>> search and enter keyword or keywords separated by back-slashes. For
    >>> example: family/Thanksgiving_2011/Aunt Martha's.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_104.jpg >
    >>>
    >>> I hope that helps some.

    >> I have a PC, and I found a way.
    >>
    >> In the library mode at the top there are four
    >> selections: Text/Attribute/Metadata/None.
    >>
    >> Then press "Metadata".
    >>
    >> A Keyword column appears and this can be
    >> duplicated by clicking on the serrations to
    >> produce an adjacent identical column, and so on
    >> for several columns.
    >>
    >> Ctrl clicking one or more keywords in the first
    >> column gives the Boolean "OR".
    >>
    >> Ctrl clicking one or more keywords one in each of
    >> the several identical columns gives the Boolean
    >> "AND".
    >>
    >> Or so it seems so far...
    >>
    >> I'll check out your way now.

    >Yup! All legitimate methods to the same end in Lightroom.

    Regarding the keywords, is it advisable to have
    one for "unknown" for anonymous photos?

    Peter Jason, Jan 3, 2013