    Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    for a home entertainment unit :)

    TIA
    XPD, Sep 29, 2005

  2. XPD wrote:
    > Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    > etc)

    /me raises his hand.

    > Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....

    "ok"
    Much better once a hardware en/decoder is added.
    Supposedly there are some with Hardware de-coders on the mobo, but you
    have to use specific versions of specific codecs, and sometimes even
    specific software to view them.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 29, 2005

  3. XPD

    nospam Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    > etc)
    >
    > Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >
    > Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    > for a home entertainment unit :)

    I've had two. I tried both a ME6000 and an M10000. To be honest, I found
    them both a little too slow for my HTPC. On good day, with the wind at your
    back, they seem to be just (barely) fast enough, but in general I found
    myself continously trying to tweak to improve performance. I was never
    satisfied with them. They've also got a pretty shitty tv out.

    After about eight months of fiddling I sold the ME6000, and the M10000 is
    now a linux file server in the closet.

    Sorry, they're just too slow.
    nospam, Sep 29, 2005
  4. XPD wrote:

    > Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    > etc)
    >
    > Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >
    > Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    > for a home entertainment unit :)
    >
    > TIA

    Like The others have said, the slower ones aren't any good for what you want
    it for but I've heard good things about the later models like the SP13000,
    which have hardware MPEG2 decoding and MPEG4 "acceleration".

    http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=58&page=4

    ^ this talks about actual playback, which might interest you.
    Nigel Roberts, Sep 29, 2005
  5. XPD

    Mercury Guest

    Considered a Pentium M on an Asus mobo (EG P4P800) with an adapter CT-479.
    The P4P800 motherboards are stock standard Intel 865 chipset motherboards
    with SATA, USB, etc.etc.
    The CT-479 allows you to plug in a Pentium M into what is otherwise a P4
    motherboard - it does require a BIOS update so make sure if you get one that
    you specify this comob working.

    See:
    http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=54&l3=0&model=467&modelmenu=1

    Mercury, Sep 29, 2005
  6. XPD

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    > etc)
    >
    > Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >
    > Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    > for a home entertainment unit :)

    What about the small Shuttle systems etc?
    Rob J, Sep 29, 2005
  7. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    >> etc)
    >>
    >> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >>
    >> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    >> for a home entertainment unit :)

    > What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

    One word.
    Cost :)
    XPD, Sep 29, 2005
  8. XPD

    shannon Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    > etc)
    >
    > Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >
    > Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    > for a home entertainment unit :)
    >
    > TIA

    The ME6000 is too slow and the rest have heatsink fans so you lose the
    quiet advantage.
    Maybe consider a Shuttle SFF with the heatpipe cooling system.
    Or theres an ASUS barebones called the Spresso that looks nice but I
    haven't seen one in the flesh yet.
    shannon, Sep 29, 2005
  9. XPD wrote:
    > Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    > etc)
    >
    > Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >
    > Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    > for a home entertainment unit :)
    >
    > TIA

    I thought of one of these for an HTPC too, have a 1Ghz Neamehah at work.
    Very slow, get an Athlon with a quiet fan.
    MaximumDamage, Sep 29, 2005
  10. XPD

    Richard Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    >>etc)
    >>
    >>Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >>
    >>Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    >>for a home entertainment unit :)

    > What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

    Anything but silent. Thin aluminium doesnt block sound very well and the 80mm
    fan inside is right up against the radiator so there is a lot of wind
    turbulance, and therefore propeller whine from it. the way they get silent is to
    throttle the fan down when its cool, and up when its warm, so inevitably any
    quietness is lost about 5 mins after bootup.
    Richard, Sep 30, 2005
  11. XPD

    shannon Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Rob J wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>>Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
    >>>etc)
    >>>
    >>>Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >>>
    >>>Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
    >>>for a home entertainment unit :)

    >> What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

    > Anything but silent. Thin aluminium doesnt block sound very well and the
    > 80mm fan inside is right up against the radiator so there is a lot of wind
    > turbulance, and therefore propeller whine from it. the way they get silent
    > is to throttle the fan down when its cool, and up when its warm, so
    > inevitably any quietness is lost about 5 mins after bootup.

    Quiet seems to cost.
    There are some quiet htpcs here
    http://krome.co.nz/products/product_hushatxpvr.htm
    http://krome.co.nz/products/hfx_chassis.htm
    shannon, Sep 30, 2005
  12. XPD

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    > > Rob J wrote:
    > >> In article <>,
    > >> says...

    > >> What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

    > > Anything but silent. Thin aluminium doesnt block sound very well and the
    > > 80mm fan inside is right up against the radiator so there is a lot of wind
    > > turbulance, and therefore propeller whine from it. the way they get silent
    > > is to throttle the fan down when its cool, and up when its warm, so
    > > inevitably any quietness is lost about 5 mins after bootup.

    > Quiet seems to cost.
    > There are some quiet htpcs here
    > http://krome.co.nz/products/product_hushatxpvr.htm
    > http://krome.co.nz/products/hfx_chassis.htm

    My PC has an Enermax power supply. With the chassis fan enabled to be
    speed controlled by the motherboard it is a very quiet system. The
    problem is that the fan isn't designed to be speed controlled and often
    slows down when it's not supposed to, generating warning messages. So
    ever since I have had to set the fan to go at full speed all the time.
    Bye bye quietness :)
    Rob J, Sep 30, 2005
  13. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one
    > motherboard/cpu etc)
    >
    > Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >
    > Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little
    > bulky for a home entertainment unit :)

    Shame Malcolm moved to the US (although he reads here still, just not as
    often). He had a dedicated VIA EPIA box as a multimedia centre.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2005
  14. XPD

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 02:09:05 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > XPD wrote:
    >> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one
    >> motherboard/cpu etc)
    >>
    >> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >>
    >> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little
    >> bulky for a home entertainment unit :)

    > Shame Malcolm moved to the US (although he reads here still, just not as
    > often). He had a dedicated VIA EPIA box as a multimedia centre.

    Yup... I'm lurking

    I have the EPIA MII with 512MB RAM, along with the PVR2000, 200GB Seagate
    and a Pioneer DVD writer. I did try a TV2000XP, but was too much
    for the processor. Tried it with 2K, XP, RH9, Mandrake 10 and SuSE 9.2.
    All worked fine, never got around to trying mythtv though.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Sep 30, 2005
  15. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 02:09:05 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one
    >>> motherboard/cpu etc)
    >>>
    >>> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
    >>>
    >>> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little
    >>> bulky for a home entertainment unit :)

    >> Shame Malcolm moved to the US (although he reads here still, just
    >> not as often). He had a dedicated VIA EPIA box as a multimedia
    >> centre.

    > Yup... I'm lurking
    >
    > I have the EPIA MII with 512MB RAM, along with the PVR2000, 200GB
    > Seagate and a Pioneer DVD writer. I did try a TV2000XP, but was too
    > much
    > for the processor. Tried it with 2K, XP, RH9, Mandrake 10 and SuSE
    > 9.2. All worked fine, never got around to trying mythtv though.

    Heh! Bought you out of the woodwork. :)

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~