    good or bad.
    Thanks,
    John
    John Orrett, Jan 19, 2007

  2. John Orrett

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "John Orrett" <> wrote in
    message
    news:yM2sh.96882$
    > Hi all, a friend of mine was thinking of getting Vonage
    > to replace his normal Telewest service.
    > I've done a bit of Googling, but wonder whether anyone
    > has any comments, good or bad.
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Ok if you're going to make the number of calls required to justify the
    rather high monthly charge. Otherwise there are a lot of cheaper
    alternatives.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 19, 2007

  3. John Orrett

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:25:02 GMT, John Orrett
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all, a friend of mine was thinking of getting Vonage to replace his
    >normal Telewest service.
    >I've done a bit of Googling, but wonder whether anyone has any comments,
    >good or bad.
    >Thanks,
    >John

    Vonage is nothing short of excellent John some people here will say it
    is expensive but anyone who says 28PENCE a day is expencive are tight
    wads .
    I have just closed my Vonage account and will be closing my other VOIP
    accounts shortly only because I had a BT line re connected today ,I am
    after getting shut of my Blueyonder broadband account and see no point
    in having VOIP and also a BT line .
    There are also people here who are very much anti Vonage take no
    notice of them .
    -ip.co.uk, Jan 19, 2007
  4. Thus spaketh John Orrett:
    > Hi all, a friend of mine was thinking of getting Vonage to replace his
    > normal Telewest service.
    > I've done a bit of Googling, but wonder whether anyone has any
    > comments, good or bad.
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Vonage is fine if you make enough calls, as it's not cheap,

    There are plenty of other good VoIP providers out there, that I'd
    consider first, but it all depends on the number of calls made.

    Vonage like to advertise some free features, yet most of these are
    features of VoIP and you get them free anyway.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 19, 2007
  5. John Orrett

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:17:22 GMT, -ip.co.uk wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:25:02 GMT, John Orrett
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all, a friend of mine was thinking of getting Vonage to replace his
    >>normal Telewest service.
    >>I've done a bit of Googling, but wonder whether anyone has any comments,
    >>good or bad.
    >>Thanks,
    >>John

    >Vonage is nothing short of excellent John some people here will say it
    >is expensive but anyone who says 28PENCE a day is expencive are tight
    >wads .
    >I have just closed my Vonage account and will be closing my other VOIP
    >accounts shortly only because I had a BT line re connected today ,I am
    >after getting shut of my Blueyonder broadband account and see no point
    >in having VOIP and also a BT line .
    >There are also people here who are very much anti Vonage take no
    >notice of them .

    I'm not anti-Vonage but I am anti-wasteMoney. I like to get a similar
    service for the best price I can get.
    Vonage is 799p/month.
    I pay 2p/call with the provider I use. Same cost to anywhere in Europe
    or the US.
    So, for me, I'd have to be making at least 400 calls/month to make
    Vonage viable.
    Alternatively, with voip.co.uk, there is a UK pack deal where you pay
    £2/month for inclusive UK off-peak calls and 2p/call (UK) at peak
    time.
    Having said all that, if your friend is totally non-technical then he
    may be better of with Vonage. Even so, voip.co.uk do sell ready set up
    devices that may well just need plugging in.
    ..
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jan 19, 2007
  6. John Orrett

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:36:38 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >I'm not anti-Vonage but I am anti-wasteMoney.

    It's really a matter of personal preferences Brian as to what one
    considers wasting money less than 28p a day is not worth bothering
    about, there are people who will go out tonight and swill pint after
    pint of beer down their throats costing what is now over two quid a
    pint or something , now that is what I consider to be a total waste of
    money .

    >I pay 2p/call with the provider I use. Same cost to anywhere in Europe
    >or the US.

    Are you saying I could call Belgium using my voip uk account for 2 p a
    minute ? .

    >Having said all that, if your friend is totally non-technical then he
    >may be better of with Vonage. Even so, voip.co.uk do sell ready set up
    >devices that may well just need plugging in.

    So do Vonage but I had to make a few set up alterations before it
    would work, another thing regarding Vonage they do supply everything
    regarding hardware that you need for FREE including a 4 port router .
    -ip.co.uk, Jan 19, 2007
  7. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    -ip.co.uk wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:36:38 GMT, Brian A
    > <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > So do Vonage but I had to make a few set up alterations before it
    > would work, another thing regarding Vonage they do supply everything
    > regarding hardware that you need for FREE including a 4 port router .

    Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated. I *think* at the
    moment that my friend has a package that allows free calls to any 01 or
    02 prefix etc, but pays for the rest. He would be calling Spain on the
    odd occasion also.
    At present he has a Netgear wired router anyway, which I set up for him.
    He's thinking of going wireless, but would the Vonage need a CAT5 hard
    wired to work?
    I'll also check out voip.co.uk.
    I'm fine when it comes to computers, just not on phones :)
    Regards,
    John
    John Orrett, Jan 19, 2007
  8. John Orrett

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:01:00 GMT, John Orrett
    <> wrote:

    >He's thinking of going wireless, but would the Vonage need a CAT5 hard
    >wired to work?

    Yes unless he buys one of the Vonage wireless phones which are
    expensive but wireless routers do have four Ethernet ports well our
    Linksys has anyway .
    -ip.co.uk, Jan 19, 2007
  9. John Orrett

    Herman Guest

    --

    > Hi all, a friend of mine was thinking of getting Vonage to replace his
    > normal Telewest service.
    > I've done a bit of Googling, but wonder whether anyone has any comments,
    > good or bad.
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Vonage is a great service generally with good support - good for first steps
    into voip. For more technically savvy users, there are better, and cheaper
    options out there but it does depend what you want. It is an out-of-the-box
    solution that does what it says on the tin, so I won't repeat the positive
    aspects which you will find on the website (the "SimulRing" and network
    availability number features were particularly useful). My criticisms are:

    The Linksys unit I had did not reconnect if it lost the registration with
    the Vonage servers, meaning unnecessary downtime.
    Cost is not cheap in voip terms (monthly cost and international/mobile call
    costs)
    Rolling credit card authority for payment.
    Caller display not displayed correctly for forwarded calls.

    These do not really overshadow the positive points of the service, if you
    are a novice user.
    Herman, Jan 19, 2007
  10. John Orrett

    Herman Guest

    > -ip.co.uk wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:36:38 GMT, Brian A
    >> <> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> So do Vonage but I had to make a few set up alterations before it
    >> would work, another thing regarding Vonage they do supply everything
    >> regarding hardware that you need for FREE including a 4 port router .

    > Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated. I *think* at the
    > moment that my friend has a package that allows free calls to any 01 or 02
    > prefix etc, but pays for the rest. He would be calling Spain on the odd
    > occasion also.

    Something like voipcheap.com as a second service will give you good rates
    > At present he has a Netgear wired router anyway, which I set up for him.
    > He's thinking of going wireless, but would the Vonage need a CAT5 hard
    > wired to work?

    Depends on the box that comes with it. Mine needed Cat5 connection but they
    also do a WiFi phone. Don't think they do WLAN routers.
    > I'll also check out voip.co.uk.
    > I'm fine when it comes to computers, just not on phones :)

    If you are fine with principles of networking, I would suggest avoiding
    Vonage and going for a decent ATA/router and cheaper provider. I can
    recommend the FritzBox 7050 which would give you WLAN and router in one and
    also multiple inbound and outbound phone accounts for using least cost
    routing. The initial outlay is higher - first year costs can be the same as
    Vonage, but second year onwards will be cheaper. I guess you probably
    already know, but you need to ensure that voice passes as few routers on
    your internal network as possible, and avoid non-QoS routers between your
    ATA and the internet.
    Herman, Jan 19, 2007
  11. John Orrett

    Monty Guest

    wrote:

    >Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated. I *think* at the
    >moment that my friend has a package that allows free calls to any 01 or
    >02 prefix etc, but pays for the rest. He would be calling Spain on the
    >odd occasion also.

    As you may have discovered already, this newsgroup is populated by a large
    number of anti-Vonage lobbyists. I use Vonage and find it pretty good. not only
    do they offer you free (ie included in the fixed monthly charge) calls to normal
    UK landlines, they currently also offer packages which enable you to make free
    calls to some overseas countries. Depending on which country you like to call,
    you may be lucky and find it included in one of these packages:
    http://www.vonage.co.uk/specialoffers/index_uk.php

    The bottom line is that if you regularly make a reasonably number of calls to UK
    and the countries in your Vonage package, their costs are not expensive. Further
    they offer you good voicemail and a unique feature which enables you to forward
    incoming calls to any UK landline (indeed up to 5 such landlines simultaneously)
    at no cost.

    Of course I'm not saying that Vonage is the perfect solution for everyone, but
    it's well worth a more detailed look. Don't let the lobbyists here stop you
    looking at Vonage to see if it suits you.
    Monty, Jan 19, 2007
  12. John Orrett

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Monty" <> wrote in message

    > As you may have discovered already, this newsgroup is
    > populated by a large number of anti-Vonage lobbyists.

    Define "anti-Vonage lobbyists" - I have no axe to grind with them
    personally, as I have never used them, but with their very high monthly
    charge and insistence on supplying locked equipment, I'm not likely to.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 20, 2007
  13. John Orrett

    Monty Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 02:16:03 -0000, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:

    >Define "anti-Vonage lobbyists" - I have no axe to grind with them
    >personally, as I have never used them, but with their very high monthly
    >charge and insistence on supplying locked equipment, I'm not likely to.

    An anti-Vonage lobbyist is someone who says they "have no axe to grind with them
    personally, as they have never used them, but with their very high monthly
    charge and insistence on supplying locked equipment, they're not likely to."
    Monty, Jan 20, 2007
  14. John Orrett

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Monty" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 02:16:03 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Define "anti-Vonage lobbyists" - I have no axe to grind
    > > with them personally, as I have never used them, but
    > > with their very high monthly charge and insistence on
    > > supplying locked equipment, I'm not likely to.

    > An anti-Vonage lobbyist is someone who says they "have no
    > axe to grind with them personally, as they have never
    > used them, but with their very high monthly charge and
    > insistence on supplying locked equipment, they're not
    > likely to."

    Ah. You obviously haven't looked up "lobbyist" in the dictionary then.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 20, 2007
  15. John Orrett

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:56:26 GMT, -ip.co.uk wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:36:38 GMT, Brian A
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm not anti-Vonage but I am anti-wasteMoney.

    >It's really a matter of personal preferences Brian as to what one
    >considers wasting money less than 28p a day is not worth bothering
    >about, there are people who will go out tonight and swill pint after
    >pint of beer down their throats costing what is now over two quid a
    >pint or something , now that is what I consider to be a total waste of
    >money .
    >
    >>I pay 2p/call with the provider I use. Same cost to anywhere in Europe
    >>or the US.

    >Are you saying I could call Belgium using my voip uk account for 2 p a
    >minute ? .

    No, I use Vyke. I still have credit with voip.co.uk but, as my acount
    was so mucked up, and at the time I had no idea when, if ever, it
    would be sorted, I decided to make the switch to Vyke.co.uk and give
    it a try. So far no problems. The connection is slower, there is an
    announcement, but that is no problem.
    2p/call to Europe and the US.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jan 20, 2007
  16. John Orrett

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Monty" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> As you may have discovered already, this newsgroup is
    >> populated by a large number of anti-Vonage lobbyists.

    >Define "anti-Vonage lobbyists" - I have no axe to grind with them
    >personally, as I have never used them, but with their very high monthly
    >charge and insistence on supplying locked equipment, I'm not likely to.
    >
    >Ivor

    Rubbish Ivor Vonage IS NOT expensive and the supplied equipment is
    supplied FREE of charge unlike the equipment Sipgate are supplying at
    an exorbitant cost to the consumer with an extremely poor service to
    go with it .

    -ip.co.uk, Jan 21, 2007
  17. John Orrett

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:15:37 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >>Are you saying I could call Belgium using my voip uk account for 2 p a
    >>minute ? .

    >No, I use Vyke. I still have credit with voip.co.uk but, as my acount
    >was so mucked up, and at the time I had no idea when, if ever, it
    >would be sorted, I decided to make the switch to Vyke.co.uk and give
    >it a try. So far no problems. The connection is slower, there is an
    >announcement, but that is no problem.
    >2p/call to Europe and the US.

    I have found that I can use voipuk a 2p to Europe your post has raised
    another quiestion Brian can you set up Vyke on an ATA or is it soley
    for softphone use ?.

    -ip.co.uk, Jan 21, 2007
  18. John Orrett

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:34:32 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Vonage is fine if you make enough calls, as it's not cheap,

    Compared with who ? I think Vonage is very cheap at less than 28p a
    day a customer gets a lot with Vonage compared with BT at 37p PLUS
    calls ok there are cheaper but they do not give the same quality of
    service.
    Take voip.co.uk for instance with who I have two lines and have just
    had my two Vonage numbers ported over one line is perfect the other is
    rubbish every time I make a call using it the connection drops after
    one minute or less . Support has known about this problem for nearly a
    week now long BEFORE the remaining Vonage number was ported over to it
    which only came across on Friday but nothing seems to being done about
    it.

    >Vonage like to advertise some free features, yet most of these are
    >features of VoIP and you get them free anyway.

    But they do not work as efficiently though look at the totally crap
    voicemail that Sipgate provide for instance and can you call support
    24/7 with any of them except Vonage hell you cannot even call Sipgate
    support.
    And on a different note Telewest news servers have been down all
    weekend yet another useless outfit they really do remind me of
    Sipgate.

    -ip.co.uk, Jan 21, 2007
  19. John Orrett

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Rubbish Ivor Vonage IS NOT expensive and the supplied
    > equipment is supplied FREE of charge unlike the equipment
    > Sipgate are supplying at an exorbitant cost to the
    > consumer with an extremely poor service to go with it .

    It's expensive if you don't make the volume of calls to cover the cost.
    Just as it would be expensive to buy a Rolls Royce to do the shopping in,
    even if you could afford it.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 21, 2007
  20. John Orrett

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:39:44 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> Rubbish Ivor Vonage IS NOT expensive and the supplied
    >> equipment is supplied FREE of charge unlike the equipment
    >> Sipgate are supplying at an exorbitant cost to the
    >> consumer with an extremely poor service to go with it .

    >It's expensive if you don't make the volume of calls to cover the cost.
    >Just as it would be expensive to buy a Rolls Royce to do the shopping in,
    >even if you could afford it.

    I don''t think many people make enough calls to cover the cost of a BT
    or Telewest line to cover the cost for that matter Ivor but they still
    have them .
    -ip.co.uk, Jan 21, 2007