    How is is it compared to ADSL2 and what isp are you using?

    Cheers
    JohnO

    JohnO, Jul 5, 2012

  2. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 5, 8:00 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 5/07/2012 2:15 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > How is is it compared to ADSL2 and what isp are you using?

    > I have a connection at work as part of a pilot from an ISP that isn't
    > yet offering it.  If you need the higher upload speed then it's great
    > however the price premium charged for it is enough to put me off it for
    > home use.

    About $30/month more than ADSL2? Not too bad. The extra speed would
    make telecommuting over RDP a bit happier.

    JohnO, Jul 5, 2012

  3. JohnO

    Me Guest

    On 5/07/2012 10:50 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    > On Jul 5, 8:00 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >> On 5/07/2012 2:15 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >>> How is is it compared to ADSL2 and what isp are you using?

    >> I have a connection at work as part of a pilot from an ISP that isn't
    >> yet offering it. If you need the higher upload speed then it's great
    >> however the price premium charged for it is enough to put me off it for
    >> home use.

    > About $30/month more than ADSL2? Not too bad. The extra speed would
    > make telecommuting over RDP a bit happier.

    Is it only $30/month more?
    Last time I looked, plans at under $100/month had very small data caps.
    There's a VDSL2 capable box at the end of our driveway. I get good
    speeds down on ADSL2+ off-peak (~14 Mb/s) but this drops to as low as
    1.5 Mb/s in the evening, probably mainly due to my ISP (Slingshot -
    which is cheap - but a little bit shit wrt on-peak performance).
    I'm a bit wary of switching to VDSL, the modems are expensive, I read
    some comments on one ISP offering VDSL that they'd only support users
    with the modem they supplied, and then I wonder what the real speeds
    will be, as there's no guarantee that d/l speed will be blistering.
    Once major ISPs (ie telecom) start rolling out VDSL, things might
    change. Telecom called me last week trying to get me to change ISP, I
    asked about VDSL, and they commented that this should be available
    "sometime next year". That's not very definite, and makes me wonder why
    they'd sit back when the hardware is in place in many areas.
    I'll wait for a while - unless someone in the neighbourhood close to us
    takes the plunge - with good results.

    Me, Jul 5, 2012
  4. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    On 7/5/2012 8:00 PM, EMB wrote:
    > On 5/07/2012 2:15 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    >> How is is it compared to ADSL2 and what isp are you using?

    > I have a connection at work as part of a pilot from an ISP that isn't
    > yet offering it. If you need the higher upload speed then it's great
    > however the price premium charged for it is enough to put me off it for
    > home use.

    $25 is hardly a premium.

    upgraded my snap connection to it. Pings have gone up to my webhost -
    8-9ms on ADSL2 up to about 20ish on VDSL but apparantly it should settle
    to a lower latency profile in a few days.

    upload speed boost is awesome. The fritz!box router they sell for dirt
    cheap is working well, Not tried its wireless at all but for routing etc
    it does the trick.

    Only problem I have had is that my downloading machine which has its
    default gateway being the router on my flatrate slingshot connection had
    ipv6 enabled, got assigned one from the router on snap and hammered my
    25 gigs in about half a day. Ooops. Disabled v6 on the torrenting
    machine now so shouldnt happen again ;)

    Richard, Jul 6, 2012
  5. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 6, 6:40 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > On 7/5/2012 8:00 PM, EMB wrote:
    >
    > > On 5/07/2012 2:15 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    > >> How is is it compared to ADSL2 and what isp are you using?

    > > I have a connection at work as part of a pilot from an ISP that isn't
    > > yet offering it. If you need the higher upload speed then it's great
    > > however the price premium charged for it is enough to put me off it for
    > > home use.

    > $25 is hardly a premium.
    >
    > upgraded my snap connection to it. Pings have gone up to my webhost -
    > 8-9ms on ADSL2 up to about 20ish on VDSL but apparantly it should settle
    > to a lower latency profile in a few days.
    >
    > upload speed boost is awesome. The fritz!box router they sell for dirt
    > cheap is working well, Not tried its wireless at all but for routing etc
    > it does the trick.
    >
    > Only problem I have had is that my downloading machine which has its
    > default gateway being the router on my flatrate slingshot connection had
    > ipv6 enabled, got assigned one from the router on snap and hammered my
    > 25 gigs in about half a day. Ooops. Disabled v6 on the torrenting
    > machine now so shouldnt happen again ;)

    Thanks Richard. Snap looks the pick of them based on price. Service ok
    and the speed doesn't suffer overly from contention?

    JohnO, Jul 6, 2012
  6. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    On 7/6/2012 9:22 PM, JohnO wrote:
    > On Jul 6, 6:40 pm, Richard<> wrote:

    >>> I have a connection at work as part of a pilot from an ISP that isn't
    >>> yet offering it. If you need the higher upload speed then it's great
    >>> however the price premium charged for it is enough to put me off it for
    >>> home use.

    >> $25 is hardly a premium.
    >>
    >> upgraded my snap connection to it. Pings have gone up to my webhost -
    >> 8-9ms on ADSL2 up to about 20ish on VDSL but apparantly it should settle
    >> to a lower latency profile in a few days.
    >>
    >> upload speed boost is awesome. The fritz!box router they sell for dirt
    >> cheap is working well, Not tried its wireless at all but for routing etc
    >> it does the trick.
    >>
    >> Only problem I have had is that my downloading machine which has its
    >> default gateway being the router on my flatrate slingshot connection had
    >> ipv6 enabled, got assigned one from the router on snap and hammered my
    >> 25 gigs in about half a day. Ooops. Disabled v6 on the torrenting
    >> machine now so shouldnt happen again ;)

    > Thanks Richard. Snap looks the pick of them based on price. Service ok
    > and the speed doesn't suffer overly from contention?

    My line is hardly representitive of it as there is clearly something
    wrong with it, but its nice to not have things choke up to unusable just
    because I have chucked a few files into my dropbox or something.

    Everytime I have called they have answered quite quickly and there is no
    ESL first tier script reading bullshit like you get from other ISPs.

    Im shaped to 64k at the moment so pushing everything out my slingshot
    connection which is noticibly different to use, due to them having the
    cache.

    Once I am certain I wont have anything go out the snap connection during
    the non offpeak times I will chuck some more data onto it. Its quite
    cheap now, and snap seem to let you change you data block during the
    month to a larger one vs adding more blocks on which saves a bit

    Richard, Jul 6, 2012
  7. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-07-06, JohnO <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > Thanks Richard. Snap looks the pick of them based on price. Service ok
    > and the speed doesn't suffer overly from contention?

    Let history show that Snap has gotten good reviews in this ng in the past
    and no "I would never use them again" ones.

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2012
  8. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-07-06, Richard <> wrote:
    > On 7/6/2012 9:22 PM, JohnO wrote:

    >>> $25 is hardly a premium.
    >>>
    >>> upgraded my snap connection to it. Pings have gone up to my webhost -
    >>> 8-9ms on ADSL2 up to about 20ish on VDSL but apparantly it should settle
    >>> to a lower latency profile in a few days.
    >>>
    >>> upload speed boost is awesome. The fritz!box router they sell for dirt
    >>> cheap is working well, Not tried its wireless at all but for routing etc
    >>> it does the trick.
    >>>
    >>> Only problem I have had is that my downloading machine which has its
    >>> default gateway being the router on my flatrate slingshot connection had
    >>> ipv6 enabled, got assigned one from the router on snap and hammered my
    >>> 25 gigs in about half a day. Ooops. Disabled v6 on the torrenting
    >>> machine now so shouldnt happen again ;)

    >> Thanks Richard. Snap looks the pick of them based on price. Service ok
    >> and the speed doesn't suffer overly from contention?

    > My line is hardly representitive of it as there is clearly something
    > wrong with it, but its nice to not have things choke up to unusable just
    > because I have chucked a few files into my dropbox or something.

    Ah, ha. We still have the everyone downloads idea in force. Rather than a
    high way has traffic going in both directions.

    Still it is ending.

    > Everytime I have called they have answered quite quickly and there is no
    > ESL first tier script reading bullshit like you get from other ISPs.

    Small, is good with ISP's. For they know that one customers can do a great
    deal of damage % wise if they do not get good service. They also have the
    attitude that there are people who they are adding value to their lives, not
    trying to use them to add to their ( The ISP's) profit only.

    Capitalism says that you must grow you company other wise others will take
    over yours. Once again it is wrong. A small business can work very well for
    those who do not wish to take over the universe.

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2012
  9. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-07-06, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 5/07/2012 10:50 p.m., JohnO wrote:

    >>> I have a connection at work as part of a pilot from an ISP that isn't
    >>> yet offering it. If you need the higher upload speed then it's great
    >>> however the price premium charged for it is enough to put me off it for
    >>> home use.

    >> About $30/month more than ADSL2? Not too bad. The extra speed would
    >> make telecommuting over RDP a bit happier.

    > I don't have a problem with RDP over ADSL2 - anything over 200kb/s up is
    > fine. I'd rather spend the $30 on more data than extra speed.

    Oh yes! Let the machince do the work while I do something it can not help me
    with. Thinking as a case in point.

    Read, while data caps are in place, almost any speed can blow them out of
    the water, or the ads person's spin.

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2012
  10. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 6, 10:59 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 5/07/2012 10:50 p.m., JohnO wrote:

    > >> I have a connection at work as part of a pilot from an ISP that isn't
    > >> yet offering it.  If you need the higher upload speed then it's great
    > >> however the price premium charged for it is enough to put me off it for
    > >> home use.

    > > About $30/month more than ADSL2? Not too bad. The extra speed would
    > > make telecommuting over RDP a bit happier.

    > I don't have a problem with RDP over ADSL2 - anything over 200kb/s up is
    > fine.  I'd rather spend the $30 on more data than extra speed.

    I find GUI developer tools get laggy if the speed in *both* directions
    isn't fast. That $1 a day extra soon becomes insignificant if there's
    even a small drop in productivity.

    JohnO, Jul 7, 2012
  11. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 6, 11:04 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > On 7/6/2012 9:22 PM, JohnO wrote:

    > >> $25 is hardly a premium.

    > >> upgraded my snap connection to it. Pings have gone up to my webhost -
    > >> 8-9ms on ADSL2 up to about 20ish on VDSL but apparantly it should settle
    > >> to a lower latency profile in a few days.

    > >> upload speed boost is awesome. The fritz!box router they sell for dirt
    > >> cheap is working well, Not tried its wireless at all but for routing etc
    > >> it does the trick.

    > >> Only problem I have had is that my downloading machine which has its
    > >> default gateway being the router on my flatrate slingshot connection had
    > >> ipv6 enabled, got assigned one from the router on snap and hammered my
    > >> 25 gigs in about half a day. Ooops. Disabled v6 on the torrenting
    > >> machine now so shouldnt happen again ;)

    > > Thanks Richard. Snap looks the pick of them based on price. Service ok
    > > and the speed doesn't suffer overly from contention?

    > My line is hardly representitive of it as there is clearly something
    > wrong with it, but its nice to not have things choke up to unusable just
    > because I have chucked a few files into my dropbox or something.
    >
    > Everytime I have called they have answered quite quickly and there is no
    > ESL first tier script reading bullshit like you get from other ISPs.
    >
    > Im shaped to 64k at the moment so pushing everything out my slingshot
    > connection which is noticibly different to use, due to them having the
    > cache.
    >
    > Once I am certain I wont have anything go out the snap connection during
    > the non offpeak times I will chuck some more data onto it. Its quite
    > cheap now, and snap seem to let you change you data block during the
    > month to a larger one vs adding more blocks on which saves a bit

    Do snap allow a static IP?

    JohnO, Jul 7, 2012
  12. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    On 7/7/2012 5:08 PM, JohnO wrote:

    >> Once I am certain I wont have anything go out the snap connection during
    >> the non offpeak times I will chuck some more data onto it. Its quite
    >> cheap now, and snap seem to let you change you data block during the
    >> month to a larger one vs adding more blocks on which saves a bit

    > Do snap allow a static IP?

    I read that they only allow it on v4 at the moment, the v6 prefix will
    always change at the moment.

    I dont have any need for one so havent bothered.

    Richard, Jul 8, 2012