    with video chat AFAICS.

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Nov 27, 2008

  2. Mike

    Nick Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:0FAXk.5143$2...
    > Trying to config both of these, but Ekiga just says registration
    > forbidden and wengophone seems to work 1 way only. Has anyone got either
    > of these to work, if so what settings are you using. Ttied Twinkle but
    > didn't like that and these two seem to be the only other linux softphones
    > with video chat AFAICS.
    >
    > --
    > Mike

    Probably not much of a help, but I did configure Ekiga
    when I ran an Ubuntu system. Unfortunately, I can't
    remember how I set it up, but do recall having to set
    something that wasn't that obvious.

    I'll look on an old HDD to see if I have it still, look
    back here tonight.

    Nick, Nov 28, 2008

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:24:33 +0000, Nick wrote:

    > I'll look on an old HDD to see if I have it still, look back here
    > tonight.

    Thanks Nick
    --
    Mike

    Mike, Nov 28, 2008
  4. Mike

    Nick Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:24:33 +0000, Nick wrote:
    >
    > > I'll look on an old HDD to see if I have it still, look back here
    > > tonight.

    > Thanks Nick
    > --
    > Mike

    OK Mike,

    I'm presuming you've entered all the required fields
    when setting up the account?

    I've looked at my settings which seem quite straight
    forward, so I think I'm confusing Ekiga will something
    else.

    From your comments on wengophone, that sort of
    issue normally comes from a firewall port being blocked
    or restricted.
    It's possible that Ekiga isn't registering for the same
    reason.

    Try disabling any firewall you have running on the
    computer and router.

    Sorry I can't offer any further help, I'm on the Linux
    learning curve also.

    Nick, Nov 28, 2008
  5. Mike

    Soruk Guest

    On 2008-11-28, Nick <> wrote:

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:24:33 +0000, Nick wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'll look on an old HDD to see if I have it still, look back here
    >> > tonight.

    >> Thanks Nick
    >> --
    >> Mike

    > OK Mike,
    >
    > I'm presuming you've entered all the required fields
    > when setting up the account?
    >
    > I've looked at my settings which seem quite straight
    > forward, so I think I'm confusing Ekiga will something
    > else.
    >
    > From your comments on wengophone, that sort of
    > issue normally comes from a firewall port being blocked
    > or restricted.
    > It's possible that Ekiga isn't registering for the same
    > reason.
    >
    > Try disabling any firewall you have running on the
    > computer and router.
    >
    > Sorry I can't offer any further help, I'm on the Linux
    > learning curve also.

    If you're behind a router, try port-forwarding in 5060 TCP/UDP and
    10000-19999 UDP to the machine running Ekiga. I've done that for my
    Asterisk box and everything works fine, and my laptop can log into it
    from remote connections too.

    Soruk, Nov 28, 2008
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:07:11 +0000, Soruk wrote:

    > On 2008-11-28, Nick <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Try disabling any firewall you have running on the computer and router.

    don't think so, other softphones work fine without doing this

    > If you're behind a router, try port-forwarding in 5060 TCP/UDP and
    > 10000-19999 UDP to the machine running Ekiga.

    ok tried this and no longer get the forbidden bit, now it says
    "Registration failed: timed out"

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Nov 28, 2008
  7. In article <lv_Xk.22745$2>,
    Mike <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:07:11 +0000, Soruk wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-28, Nick <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Try disabling any firewall you have running on the computer and router.

    >don't think so, other softphones work fine without doing this
    >
    >> If you're behind a router, try port-forwarding in 5060 TCP/UDP and
    >> 10000-19999 UDP to the machine running Ekiga.

    >ok tried this and no longer get the forbidden bit, now it says
    >"Registration failed: timed out"

    What make is the firewall/router? Some need tweaking to turn the SIP
    ALG off.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 28, 2008
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:03:42 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > What make is the firewall/router? Some need tweaking to turn the SIP ALG
    > off.

    It's a linksys wrt54gc, but this seems unlikely given I have no problem
    with using other softphones (eg. x-lite) under windows, which work
    without any changes on the router. I have also had both twinkle and x-
    lite working on ubuntu without having to do any of this.

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Nov 28, 2008
  9. In article <et%Xk.11838$%2>,
    Mike <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:03:42 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> What make is the firewall/router? Some need tweaking to turn the SIP ALG
    >> off.

    >It's a linksys wrt54gc, but this seems unlikely given I have no problem
    >with using other softphones (eg. x-lite) under windows, which work
    >without any changes on the router. I have also had both twinkle and x-
    >lite working on ubuntu without having to do any of this.

    OK. Might have missed the bit about other phones working OK earlier.

    In that case get a video phone :)

    I've been using Grandstream GXV3000's a lot recently... (Sister in-law
    in Orkney just had a baby and baby's grandparents, and us are in Devon -
    3 locations, but no 3-way video conferencing yet though!)

    http://watertower.drogon.net/notes/2008/09/internet-video-telephones/

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 29, 2008
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:36:14 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > In that case get a video phone :)

    thnx but not looking for a hardware solution, already have an ata and use
    Bria under XP for video calls, just looking for a linux alternative

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Nov 29, 2008
  11. Mike

    Guest

    On Nov 29, 11:21 am, Mike <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:36:14 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > > In that case get a video phone :)

    > thnx but not looking for a hardware solution, already have an ata and use
    > Bria under XP for video calls, just looking for a linux alternative
    >
    > --
    > Mike

    I have a sipgate account and I find that I can register on Ekiga so
    it looks like you must have something wrong. When Ekiga works it works
    well but sometimes can be troublesome. Why not use one of the Ekiga
    accounts?

    , Dec 6, 2008