    however, once set up, seem to work fine.

    Anyone else using these? Your opinions?

    Greg

    GAH, Jan 15, 2004

  2. GAH

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year). Use it
    for backups. Now that you mention it, it was not formated but formating was no
    problem. Older drives make some more noise that the newer ones but the clicking
    sound that you hear worries me a bit.
    I had an internal drive (make unknown) that all of a sudden stopped working and
    just made a clicking sound. It got replaced by the manufacturer.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jan 15, 2004

  3. GAH

    Toni Guest

    El dia 15 Jan 2004 10:18:29 GMT, en et (HRosita)
    va escriure:

    >Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year). Use it
    >for backups.

    Hi Rosita,

    Think twice before using a HD or any other non read-only media as
    backup: if you get a virus, by the time you notice it and update
    your antivirus you may have lost it all. Also don't exclude human
    error; you (or anybody) could accidentally erase all.

    Toni

    Toni, Jan 15, 2004
  4. On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:02:34 +0100, Toni wrote:

    > El dia 15 Jan 2004 10:18:29 GMT, en et (HRosita) va
    > escriure:
    >
    >>Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year).
    >>Use it for backups.

    > Hi Rosita,
    >
    > Think twice before using a HD or any other non read-only media as backup:
    > if you get a virus, by the time you notice it and update your antivirus
    > you may have lost it all. Also don't exclude human error; you (or anybody)
    > could accidentally erase all.

    Read only media aren't immune to human error - you can accidentally sit on
    them!

    The key to backups is simple - more than one copy. Using an external hard
    disk is better than no backup. Using an external hard disk, and burning
    multiple CD/DVDs each month which you store in a different location is
    better... That's why tape is still so popular - media cost is very low,
    and reliability is high.

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Jan 15, 2004
  5. GAH

    Jack Guest

    In article <>, in
    rec.photo.digital, says...
    > El dia 15 Jan 2004 10:18:29 GMT, en et (HRosita)
    > va escriure:
    >
    > >Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year). Use it
    > >for backups.

    > Hi Rosita,
    >
    > Think twice before using a HD or any other non read-only media as
    > backup: if you get a virus, by the time you notice it and update
    > your antivirus you may have lost it all. Also don't exclude human
    > error; you (or anybody) could accidentally erase all.
    >
    > Toni

    So how does one backup then? Read-only media, which is what you seem to
    be talking about using Toni, will not allow you to backup to it.
    Frankly, someone doing backup is already likely to have and USE anti-
    virus software.
    --
    de Jack N2MPU FN20
    Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N

    Jack, Jan 15, 2004
  6. GAH

    Joe B. Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:18:29 +0000, HRosita wrote
    (in message <>):

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year). Use it
    > for backups. Now that you mention it, it was not formated but formating was
    > no
    > problem. Older drives make some more noise that the newer ones but the
    > clicking
    > sound that you hear worries me a bit.
    > I had an internal drive (make unknown) that all of a sudden stopped working
    > and
    > just made a clicking sound. It got replaced by the manufacturer.
    > Rosita

    I've had the 160GB external Lacie for a couple of years and had no problems
    at all. It makes some clicking sounds when first powered up- and at no other
    time- otherwise it just makes a very quiet purring when in use, and no sounds
    at all when not in use.

    I also had an internal drive that stated making odd clicking sounds and
    pausing, as if trying to find the right part of the disk- this got worse
    gradually over a few months. It eventually stopped working altogether and was
    replaced.

    --
    Joe B. (remove composer for email)

    Joe B., Jan 19, 2004