Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Sep 30, 2009.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.

    With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's time to
    finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 as they
    were released but they were all big fails as far as I was concerned (and
    judging by the forums quite a few others agreed with me). Nowhere near the
    class of KDE3.

    Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in the
    last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a pile
    of in the first place)

    I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around as
    opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide whether to
    stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the release or just say to
    hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3 which is the default when
    installing Karmic.

    I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K programmes now
    have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their no-longer-supported
    KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated (except for the
    obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :)

    Regards
    Lodi
     
    Lodi, Sep 30, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <ha0lab$tv$-september.org>, Lodi <> wrote:
    >Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.
    >
    >With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's time to
    >finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 as they
    >were released but they were all big fails as far as I was concerned (and
    >judging by the forums quite a few others agreed with me). Nowhere near the
    >class of KDE3.
    >
    >Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in the
    >last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a pile
    >of in the first place)
    >
    >I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around as
    >opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide whether to
    >stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the release or just say to
    >hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3 which is the default when
    >installing Karmic.
    >
    >I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K programmes now
    >have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their no-longer-supported
    >KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated (except for the
    >obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :)


    I'm still using 3, so without any experience of 4 ...
    I've seen few or no reasons why 4 is a good idea (ie what does it add ?). As
    you suggest, I've seen many comments that 4 is not good (and very few that
    it has anything extra to offer). Why would you want to ? :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 1, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lodi

    John Little Guest

    While KDE 4.1 was a "disaster" (it just didn't work for me) 4.2 was
    not so bad at all, indeed I mostly fixed my broken KDE by installing
    4.2 when the developers released it. I still don't understand what
    KDE 4 plasmoids are about, but some of the compositing effects are a
    step forward.

    Regards, John
     
    John Little, Oct 1, 2009
    #3
  4. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.
    >
    > With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's
    > time to finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1
    > and 4.2 as they were released but they were all big fails as far as I
    > was concerned (and judging by the forums quite a few others agreed
    > with me). Nowhere near the class of KDE3.
    >
    > Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes
    > in the last six months (which begs the question why did they release
    > such a pile of in the first place)
    >
    > I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around
    > as opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide
    > whether to stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the
    > release or just say to hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3
    > which is the default when installing Karmic.
    >
    > I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K
    > programmes now have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their
    > no-longer-supported KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts
    > appreciated (except for the obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :)
    >

    KDE sucks.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
     
    Enkidu, Oct 1, 2009
    #4
  5. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:15:44 +1300, Lodi wrote:

    > Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in
    > the last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a
    > pile of in the first place)


    I think you'll find that each release achieved specific milestones in the development process, and that
    KDE 4.0 was the milestone where the APIs for KDE 4 were finalized.

    No I'm not using KDE 4 - still on KDE 3.5.9, but have KDE 4 installed so that I can use some of the KDE
    4 applications as they look nicer than the KDE 3 ones.

    Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Carnations, Oct 1, 2009
    #5
  6. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:18:03 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    >> I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K
    >> programmes now have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their
    >> no-longer-supported KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated
    >> (except for the obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :)
    >>

    > KDE sucks.


    Of course whether or not "sucking" is good or bad is entirely relative and context specific.


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Carnations, Oct 1, 2009
    #6
  7. Lodi

    Tony Manco Guest

    Lodi wrote:

    > Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.
    >
    > With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's time
    > to finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 as
    > they were released but they were all big fails as far as I was concerned
    > (and judging by the forums quite a few others agreed with me). Nowhere
    > near the class of KDE3.
    >
    > Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in the
    > last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a pile
    > of in the first place)
    >
    > I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around as
    > opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide whether
    > to stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the release or just say
    > to hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3 which is the default when
    > installing Karmic.
    >
    > I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K programmes
    > now have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their
    > no-longer-supported KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated
    > (except for the obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi



    I can't compare with KDE 3 since I came from the Gnome land, but I've been
    running KDE 4.3.1 for about a month and it's working pretty nicely.

    In comparison to Gnome, I like KDE 4 a lot more...

    Cheers
    --
    The UNIX Guru`s view of Sex:
    unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; sleep
     
    Tony Manco, Oct 1, 2009
    #7
  8. Lodi

    Biggless Guest

    On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:12:49 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:15:44 +1300, Lodi wrote:
    >
    >> Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in
    >> the last six months (which begs the question why did they release such
    >> a pile of in the first place)

    >
    > I think you'll find that each release achieved specific milestones in
    > the development process, and that KDE 4.0 was the milestone where the
    > APIs for KDE 4 were finalized.
    >


    Kde 4 was Just alpha code that should never have been released to any
    major distro's. Even Torvalds called kde4 a fucking disaster !

    > No I'm not using KDE 4 - still on KDE 3.5.9, but have KDE 4 installed so
    > that I can use some of the KDE 4 applications as they look nicer than
    > the KDE 3 ones.
    >
    > Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.


    KDE3 is dead regarding your precious opensuse , well come November it
    will be... so much for freedom of choice that Linux gives you ..

    You also claimed kde4.4 would be orgasmic bliss lennier ... the world is
    still waiting on your stupid claims..


    Biggles..
     
    Biggless, Oct 1, 2009
    #8
  9. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-10-01, Biggless <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:12:49 +0000, Carnations wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:15:44 +1300, Lodi wrote:
    >>
    >>> Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in
    >>> the last six months (which begs the question why did they release such
    >>> a pile of in the first place)

    >>
    >> I think you'll find that each release achieved specific milestones in
    >> the development process, and that KDE 4.0 was the milestone where the
    >> APIs for KDE 4 were finalized.
    >>

    >
    > Kde 4 was Just alpha code that should never have been released to any
    > major distro's. Even Torvalds called kde4 a fucking disaster !


    So, lets give it a test drive and report back. People have.


    >
    >> No I'm not using KDE 4 - still on KDE 3.5.9, but have KDE 4 installed so
    >> that I can use some of the KDE 4 applications as they look nicer than
    >> the KDE 3 ones.
    >>
    >> Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.

    >
    > KDE3 is dead regarding your precious opensuse , well come November it
    > will be... so much for freedom of choice that Linux gives you ..


    FFS, what part of open source do you not understand?

    Also what part of development do you not understand, eg Vista out of Micro
    Soft
     
    Gordon, Oct 2, 2009
    #9
  10. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-10-01, Carnations <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:18:03 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>> I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K
    >>> programmes now have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their
    >>> no-longer-supported KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated
    >>> (except for the obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :)
    >>>

    >> KDE sucks.

    >
    > Of course whether or not "sucking" is good or bad is entirely relative and context specific.
    >
    >

    As in blow job
     
    Gordon, Oct 2, 2009
    #10
  11. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:53:56 +0000, Biggless wrote:

    > Kde 4 was Just alpha code


    Yes - that was true prior to the official release.

    But, post releasing 4.0 it was not only not alpha code, but also not beta code. It was an official release.

    While Microsoft code might be alpha quality when it sells a new major version release [WIN95A,
    WinNT5.0 (2000), WinNT6.0 (Vi$ta)] I'm not convinced that the same can be said for any of the
    mainstream OSS projects. They tend to cut releases when they're ready.


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Carnations, Oct 3, 2009
    #11
  12. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:53:56 +0000, Biggless wrote:

    >> Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.

    >
    > KDE3 is dead regarding your precious opensuse


    You seem to be very belligerent and antagonistic when I was merely politely saying what version of
    KDE I was presently using and what I was likely to do when I next upgrade the distro I'm using on this
    computer.

    Do you have a fundamental problem with people stating actual real world facts about what they're
    actually using and what they're thinking they move on to use next?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Carnations, Oct 3, 2009
    #12
  13. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 05:11:29 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    >>> KDE sucks.

    >>
    >> Of course whether or not "sucking" is good or bad is entirely relative
    >> and context specific.

    >
    > As in blow job


    Of course whether or not "sucking" is good or bad is entirely relative and context specific.

    That may be your thinking on the matter, but I was not wanting to pull the thread down in that
    direction, ;o)


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Carnations, Oct 3, 2009
    #13
  14. Lodi

    Biggless Guest

    On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 05:10:34 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2009-10-01, Biggless <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:12:49 +0000, Carnations wrote:
    >>


    >>>

    >> Kde 4 was Just alpha code that should never have been released to any
    >> major distro's. Even Torvalds called kde4 a fucking disaster !

    >
    > So, lets give it a test drive and report back. People have .


    Yep Torvalds abandoned kde and switched to gnome, and its no secret with
    how much he hated gnome over the years.

    >>
    >> KDE3 is dead regarding your precious opensuse , well come November it
    >> will be... so much for freedom of choice that Linux gives you ..

    >
    > FFS, what part of open source do you not understand?


    FFS ... What part of the opensuse are dropping kde3.5 do you not
    understand ... Mz_Penquin.

    >
    > Also what part of development do you not understand, eg Vista out of
    > Micro Soft


    If your claim is vista was somehow in the same league as opensuse11
    kde4 / pulse-audio crap then your clearly as delusional as Lennier and
    LDO ..

    Bigglesssss ..
     
    Biggless, Oct 4, 2009
    #14
  15. Lodi

    Biggless Guest

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:43:07 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:53:56 +0000, Biggless wrote:
    >
    >>> Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.

    >>
    >> KDE3 is dead regarding your precious opensuse

    >
    > You seem to be very belligerent and antagonistic when I was merely
    > politely saying what version of KDE I was presently using and what I was
    > likely to do when I next upgrade the distro I'm using on this computer.
    >


    Well the next SUSe release wont have kde3 so that decision has already
    been made for you ... its great the freedom of choice isnt it.
    Also if you cant handle my antagonistic linux comments you dont have to
    read them..................

    > Do you have a fundamental problem with people stating actual real world
    > facts about what they're actually using and what they're thinking they
    > move on to use next?


    Im still waiting for the orgasmic bliss you claimed kde4.4 would bring to
    the world ..ie some real world facts.Just turned out to be more linux
    vaporware several years on .. cough cough.


    Bigggles ..
     
    Biggless, Oct 4, 2009
    #15
  16. Lodi

    Biggless Guest

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:33:59 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:53:56 +0000, Biggless wrote:
    >
    >> Kde 4 was Just alpha code

    >
    > Yes - that was true prior to the official release.
    >
    > But, post releasing 4.0 it was not only not alpha code, but also not
    > beta code. It was an official release.


    Yep officially released & little more than alpha code ...

    > While Microsoft code might be alpha quality when it sells a new major
    > version release [WIN95A, WinNT5.0 (2000), WinNT6.0 (Vi$ta)]


    When has MS have ever sold software similar to the pulse audio / kde4...
    kde4.2xxx crap ! Your still in windows98 lalala land lennier.

    Regarding EXt4 & after reading the dev's comment that all desktop users
    using ext4 & 60 second commit times & must be using a UPS . It's clear
    that linux is out of touch with reality with the desktop market.. period

    > I'm not> convinced that the same can be said for any of the mainstream

    OSS projects. They tend to cut releases when they're ready.

    By ready ... you mean when they released opensuse 11 ... & recent
    Fedora's / Ubuntu's.

    And the fsck / file system time stamp issue that's survived all the way
    into milestone m7 / m8's, that doesn't give me much faith in 11.2 code
    quality. But I sure as hell would luv to get rid of the ext3 from 11.1

    Quote: Torvalds .. kde4 was a disaster ...


    Biggles ......
     
    Biggless, Oct 4, 2009
    #16
  17. Lodi

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    Den 2009-10-04 skrev Biggless <>:
    > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:43:07 +0000, Carnations wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:53:56 +0000, Biggless wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.
    >>>
    >>> KDE3 is dead regarding your precious opensuse

    >>
    >> You seem to be very belligerent and antagonistic when I was merely
    >> politely saying what version of KDE I was presently using and what I was
    >> likely to do when I next upgrade the distro I'm using on this computer.
    >>

    >
    > Well the next SUSe release wont have kde3 so that decision has already
    > been made for you ...


    But you can still install KDE 3.x or any other window manager.

    > its great the freedom of choice isnt it.


    It sure is.
     
    Gunnar Gren, Oct 5, 2009
    #17
  18. Lodi

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Gunnar Gren wrote:
    > Den 2009-10-04 skrev Biggless <>:
    >> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:43:07 +0000, Carnations wrote:
    >>
    >> Well the next SUSe release wont have kde3 so that decision has already
    >> been made for you ...

    >
    > But you can still install KDE 3.x or any other window manager.
    >
    >> its great the freedom of choice isnt it.

    >
    > It sure is.


    I've been waiting for someone to point that out.
     
    Sailor Sam, Oct 5, 2009
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. newsguy

    change KDE desktop area?

    newsguy, Apr 24, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    680
    Parko
    Apr 24, 2004
  2. ANC
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    427
    Whatevernevermind
    May 6, 2006
  3. nick
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    961
    Ed Ruf
    Nov 22, 2003
  4. Lucas Tam

    Which is better KDE or Gnome

    Lucas Tam, Apr 13, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    524
    The Ghost In The Machine
    Apr 20, 2004
  5. Imhotep

    Brazil Starts Deployment of Low-Cost KDE Computers

    Imhotep, Nov 9, 2005, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    491
    Imhotep
    Nov 9, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page