    from others who use it.

    Thanks
    , Feb 12, 2011

  2. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:54:02 -0600, in message <>
    wrote:

    > Besides Firefox, I am using the K-Meleon browser. It's an excellent
    > browser, but the online help is useless if not worse. I can not figure
    > out how to install plugins or other addons. Can someone please help.

    Which Firefox add-ons you can install in K-Meleon depends on
    which type of add-on it is...

    Firefox's "Tools >> Add-ons" has tabs for three different
    types of add-ons

    A. "Extensions" = your Firefox add-ons listed at Tools >> Add-ons >> Extensions

    K-Meleon does not support Firefox extensions.

    The K-Meleon Extension Setup pages at http://extensions.geckozone.org/K-MeleonEn
    has a lot of extensions which have been ported to K-Meleon.

    K-Meleon Extensions Central http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ is the place
    to find many Firefox extensions that have been ported to K-Meleon

    B. "Themes" = your Firefox add-ons listed at Tools >> Add-ons >> Themes

    K-Meleon does not support Firefox themes.

    K-Meleon has its own themes and skins.
    See http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/K-MeleonThemes15
    and http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/SkinsAndThrobbers#skins
    and http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/SkinsAndThrobbers#backs

    C. "Plugins" = your Firefox add-ons listed at Tools >> Add-ons >> Plugins

    K-Meleon supports Firefox plugins.
    So long as they are actual plugins, not extensions or themes.

    If you have an plugin which is installed in Firefox but not
    in K-Meleon, here is how to install it in K-Meleon.

    1. In Firefox, enter
    about:config
    in the URL location bar.

    Scroll down to find the setting
    plugin.expose_full_path

    If the value of "plugin.expose_full_path" is false,
    change it to true by double-clicking it.

    2. In Firefox, enter
    about:plugins
    in the URL location bar.

    Scroll down to find the plugin which you want.
    If you cannot find it then either it is not a plugin (it is
    an extension or a theme), or it is not installed in your
    Firefox.

    Immediately below the name of the plugin and above all the
    other details of the plugin, look for a line something like
    this:
    File: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\browser\nppdf32.dll

    If you don't see the full path to the .dll file, go back and
    do step 1.

    3. Now open K-Meleon. In K-Meleon, enter
    about:plugins
    in the URL location bar.

    Scroll down to look for the plugin which you want.

    If the plugin is listed, then it is already installed in
    K-Meleon.

    If the plugin is not listed. then to install it in K-Meleon

    3.1 Copy the .dll file shown in #2 and put the copy into
    the "plugins" folder which is inside the K-Meleon
    program folder. The destination folder will normally
    be either
    C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon\plugins
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon\plugins
    3.2 Close K-Meleon and re-start it.

    > If you dont know this browser, it uses a Mozilla engine (Gecko).

    I know this browser.

    K-Meleon uses the Gecko rendering engine, but K-Meleon's user interface
    uses native Windows controls instead of Mozilla's XUL.
    • That is why K-Meleon runs better than Firefox on older hardware.
    • That is also why K-Meleon does not support Firefox themes and
    extensions.

    > There dont appear to be any newsgroup for this browser either.

    K-Meleon has web forums instead.
    To visit the forums, use the K-Meleon menu "Help >> K-Meleon Forums"

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Feb 13, 2011