Anyone using ICONZ Ezysurf Wired Country?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I see that have a 256kbps flatrate plan for $65 a month (inc GST) with an
    $80 install fee. I know I'm in line-of-sight with Pukekohe hill because Ihug
    sent a guy around who checked it out after I made a casual query a few
    months back. (Shame they don't have a similarly-priced plan).

    http://www.ezysurf.co.nz/

    I just have to ring them to check they have reasonable newsgroup access (or
    someone here can tell me) and then I think I'm gonna cut the copper for
    good. Telecom have had all they're going to get out of me. Wired Country and
    Vodaphone will do the job I think, I'll also look into VOIP. I've had it up
    to here with Telecom's monopolistic money-grabbing, time to talk with my
    wallet.

    So, is anyone using them? What's the service like?

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I see that ICONZ have a 256kbps flatrate plan for $65 a month (inc GST)
    > with an $80 install fee. I know I'm in line-of-sight with Pukekohe
    > hill because Ihug sent a guy around (the same day) who checked it out

    after I made a
    > casual email query a few months back. (Shame they don't have a
    > similarly-priced plan). He said I could get at least up to a 2Mbps

    connection.

    > http://www.ezysurf.co.nz/
    >
    > I just have to ring them to check they have reasonable newsgroup
    > access (or maybe someone here can tell me) and then I think I'm gonna cut
    > the copper for good. Telecom have had all they're going to get out of
    > me. Wired Country and Vodafone will do the job I think, I'll also
    > look into VoIP. I've had it up to here with Telecom's monopolistic
    > money-grabbing, time to talk with my wallet.
    >
    > So, is anyone using them? What's the service like?

    Nobody using them? I'd really like some unbiased info before I disconnect
    the copper. The bastards (Telecom) charge more than I can afford to
    reconnect in if things don't work as planned. I *really* don't want to have
    anything more to do with Telecom other than one phone-call asking them to
    cancel my Xtra account and disconnect the phone.

    So, any word on ICONZ's news-server?

    Thanks all,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:52:33 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > So, any word on ICONZ's news-server?

    For a long while and probably still, Orcon was taking it's news feed from
    them.

    Recently the news feed has been pretty shit, previously it was only mostly
    shit.

    But you could READ the news groups from one of the free servers, and POST
    via the iconz one (Dialog allows you to do that).

    E.g. Iconz don't seem to have a decent news feed. IMHO it is due to their
    news admin - an unmitigated moron of an abusive type (unless they have
    thankfully replaced him).

    What you could do is leave the Telecom line connected for a few weeks AFTER
    your new set up is in place and then decide based on your own experience.

    --

    .... Brendan

    A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 10/07/2004 2:35:31 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 10, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:52:33 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> So, any word on ICONZ's news-server?

    > For a long while and probably still, Orcon was taking it's news feed
    > from them.
    >
    > Recently the news feed has been pretty shit, previously it was only
    > mostly shit.
    >
    > But you could READ the news groups from one of the free servers, and
    > POST via the iconz one (Dialog allows you to do that).
    >
    > E.g. Iconz don't seem to have a decent news feed. IMHO it is due to
    > their news admin - an unmitigated moron of an abusive type (unless
    > they have thankfully replaced him).

    Thanks for that.

    > What you could do is leave the Telecom line connected for a few weeks
    > AFTER your new set up is in place and then decide based on your own
    > experience.

    Yeah, I thought about that. *Really* tight budget though, it's touch-and-go
    me being able to afford this as it is, taking into account the loss of free
    local calls. (I'm not paying $40+ for a half-dozen local calls a month).
    Most of our few toll-calls are far enough away that calling from a cell
    isn't going to have *that* big an impact.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2004
  5. Brendan wrote:
    > E.g. Iconz don't seem to have a decent news feed. IMHO it is due to their
    > news admin - an unmitigated moron of an abusive type (unless they have
    > thankfully replaced him).

    Steve? I believe he left long ago, to work elsewhere for considerably
    more money.

    Blaming the admin for not having a decent news feed is like blaming
    DSE's crap products on the sales staff, and not the manager that decided
    to stock that product.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 10, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Blaming the admin for not having a decent news feed is like blaming
    > DSE's crap products on the sales staff, and not the manager that decided
    > to stock that product.

    Further to that, no admin would purposly make the users complain, that
    would simply mean that someone would ride their ass until the users stop.

    Steve just took exception to you saying that you could do better, even
    though you had no idea about what was involved.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 10, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:37:06 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Steve? I believe he left long ago, to work elsewhere for considerably
    > more money.

    What would you say if I said I heard differently ?

    What if you were told that his abrasive and uncooperative behaviour was
    legend and that it eventually caught up with him ?

    Regardless of wether he DID get the job or not.

    > Blaming the admin for not having a decent news feed is like blaming
    > DSE's crap products on the sales staff, and not the manager that decided
    > to stock that product.

    Your mate Steve could not even configure his news server so it WOULD NOT
    continually zero the message counters. Given his then position of admin in
    a major ISP and his arrogance in refusing to look at the problem, the man
    is simply inappropriate in any position of responsibility.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The melancholy truth was that his glorious golden head had nothing in it." -- Cecil Woodham Smith

    Note: All my comments are copyright 10/07/2004 8:51:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 10, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:43:51 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Further to that, no admin would purposly make the users complain, that
    > would simply mean that someone would ride their ass until the users stop.

    The fact this one did exactly what you state above proves by your OWN logic
    the man was incompetent.

    > Steve just took exception to you saying that you could do better, even
    > though you had no idea about what was involved.

    1. I do not recall saying I could do better; indeed, I recall stating
    clearly that I could not comment on my abilities in that area.

    2. You cannot say what I may or may not be able to do unless I tell you as
    much.

    3. I demonstrated conclusively in those threads I *DID* have 'an idea' of
    what is required; I recall even YOU were satisfied by my estimations at
    that time.

    4. My problem with that moron was not that he had fucked up the news
    server. It was that he:
    ¡E refused to acknowledge the problem DESPITE that the ISP he was feeding
    had repeatedly reported it AND that dozens of users in widly varied
    locations ALSO reported it.
    ¡E FURTHER antagonised the situation by blaming the users and specifically
    abusing me.
    ¡E Decided to pick a fight with me, which I initially ignored but later
    decided the man deserved a lesson in humility.

    5. Apparently some OTHER admins and staff had been having trouble with this
    burk for some time and were encouraging me behind the scenes: inter company
    politics disallowed them to do it in person. Some even phoned me to that
    effect - e.g. SPENT MONEY.

    I think Dave, that you should either retract your ignorant comments on the
    matter or provide solid evidence on all of your vaguely stated claims.

    N.B. I have carefully listed the above because you obviously need to be
    walked through the facts in small steps.

    --

    .... Brendan

    ADORE, v.t. To venerate expectantly. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 10/07/2004 8:56:11 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 10, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:18:20 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> What you could do is leave the Telecom line connected for a few weeks
    >> AFTER your new set up is in place and then decide based on your own
    >> experience.

    > Yeah, I thought about that. *Really* tight budget though, it's touch-and-go
    > me being able to afford this as it is, taking into account the loss of free
    > local calls. (I'm not paying $40+ for a half-dozen local calls a month).
    > Most of our few toll-calls are far enough away that calling from a cell
    > isn't going to have *that* big an impact.

    Perhaps if you changed the Telecom line to the $20 line rental + 20c per
    call; you could change it back afterwards if it all went to custard.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "If little else, the brain is an educational toy." -- Tom Robbins

    Note: All my comments are copyright 10/07/2004 8:50:53 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 10, 2004
  10. Brendan wrote:
    judo snip
    > I think Dave, that you should either retract your ignorant comments on the
    > matter or provide solid evidence on all of your vaguely stated claims.

    Im working from memory, and what I have heard from others in the
    industry, if it differs from what appears to have happened from your
    point of view, so be it. shit happens.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 10, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:18:20 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> What you could do is leave the Telecom line connected for a few
    >>> weeks AFTER your new set up is in place and then decide based on
    >>> your own experience.

    >> Yeah, I thought about that. *Really* tight budget though, it's
    >> touch-and-go me being able to afford this as it is, taking into
    >> account the loss of free local calls. (I'm not paying $40+ for a
    >> half-dozen local calls a month). Most of our few toll-calls are far
    >> enough away that calling from a cell isn't going to have *that* big
    >> an impact.

    > Perhaps if you changed the Telecom line to the $20 line rental + 20c
    > per call; you could change it back afterwards if it all went to
    > custard.

    Ok, thanks. Showing my ignorance now, I didn't know that was an option.
    Might be a good idea. I was already thinking of keeping the account with
    Xtra open with their $5 month/2 hour plan in case I need to access the net
    from elsewhere. (Such as when my girlfriend went to stay at her sisters for
    two weeks to baby-sit and took her PC, she needed net access so we arranged
    for her to be on when I was off. Didn't get it right though, still had
    $30-odd in overlapping charges.

    Thanks Brendan,
    --
    ~misfit~