    Also, will the Archos accept RAW images or must
    they be JPEG. ?

    Zozzer
    Zozzer, Jun 10, 2006

  2. Zozzer

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <LVwig.83795$>, Zozzer
    <> writes
    >I am looking to buy an Archos AV700 to store photos
    >on, instead of having to take the laptop on holiday.
    >
    >Does anyone know if they can download images
    >from a CF card reader or must they be downloaded
    >direct from the camera. ?
    >
    >Also, will the Archos accept RAW images or must
    >they be JPEG. ?
    >
    >Zozzer

    No experience but from:

    <http://www.archos.com/products/tv_centric/av_700/accessories.html?countr
    y=global&lang=en>

    it looks like it only downloads via USB & only JPEG or BMP.

    Regards
    --
    Neil
    Neil Pugh, Jun 10, 2006

  3. Zozzer

    Joan Guest

    There are lots of items around now that let you leave the laptop at
    home.
    Epson, Vosonic and Jobo to name three.

    --
    Joan

    :
    Joan, Jun 10, 2006
  4. Zozzer

    Mark Guest

    Mark, Jun 10, 2006
  5. Zozzer

    Kevin Agard Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > As an alternative, I came across this external usb2 drive enclosure
    > which supposedly connects directly with a camera and card reader as well
    > as pc:
    > http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/storage_device/enclosure25.html

    I just downloaded user manual and this device seems almost ideal. It has
    it's own internal battery so it is truely portable. The only question I
    have about it is if it's USB port will power an external device like a
    card reader. If it does, I'm getting acouple of them.
    Kevin Agard, Jun 10, 2006
  6. In article <REEig.2033$X02.1667@trnddc02>, Kevin Agard
    <> wrote:

    > The only question I
    > have about it is if it's USB port will power an external device like a
    > card reader. If it does, I'm getting acouple of them.

    I can't find the manual, and my interestis in the transfer speed. Did
    you find any information on CF to device and device to computer?

    Phil Stripling, Jun 11, 2006
  7. Zozzer

    Zozzer Guest

    "Zozzer" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking to buy an Archos AV700 to store photos
    > on, instead of having to take the laptop on holiday.
    >
    > Does anyone know if they can download images
    > from a CF card reader or must they be downloaded
    > direct from the camera. ?
    >
    > Also, will the Archos accept RAW images or must
    > they be JPEG. ?
    >
    > Zozzer

    Thanks everyone,

    The answer is they have their own CF reader,
    and they will store RAW images but not view
    them.

    Another reason for getting an Archos is it will
    stop my wife asking me to print out holiday photo's
    so she can show friends at work. She can take the
    Archos to show friends.

    --
    Zozzer
    Zozzer, Jun 11, 2006
  8. Zozzer

    J. Clarke Guest

    Zozzer wrote:

    > "Zozzer" <> wrote in message
    >> I am looking to buy an Archos AV700 to store photos
    >> on, instead of having to take the laptop on holiday.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if they can download images
    >> from a CF card reader or must they be downloaded
    >> direct from the camera. ?
    >>
    >> Also, will the Archos accept RAW images or must
    >> they be JPEG. ?
    >>
    >> Zozzer
    >>

    > Thanks everyone,
    >
    > The answer is they have their own CF reader,
    > and they will store RAW images but not view
    > them.
    >
    > Another reason for getting an Archos is it will
    > stop my wife asking me to print out holiday photo's
    > so she can show friends at work. She can take the
    > Archos to show friends.

    You might want to look at the PMA400/430 rather than the AV700. Storage
    capacity is smaller but being a Linux box there's a chance that it can be
    persuaded to display RAW, or at least do the conversion to jpeg.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Jun 11, 2006
  9. Zozzer

    Kevin Agard Guest

    Phil Stripling wrote:
    > In article <REEig.2033$X02.1667@trnddc02>, Kevin Agard
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>The only question I
    >>have about it is if it's USB port will power an external device like a
    >>card reader. If it does, I'm getting acouple of them.

    > I can't find the manual, and my interestis in the transfer speed. Did
    > you find any information on CF to device and device to computer?

    I haven't reread the whole thing yet but the manual is located here:

    http://www.macally.com/techsupport/manual/phr250otg_generic_manual.zip
    Kevin Agard, Jun 11, 2006
  10. Zozzer

    Joan Guest

    The documentation says it has a rechargable Li-ion battery that will
    last for 1 to 2 hours. I can't see the battery in the picture of the
    open enclosure.

    For my money the Epson units and Vosonic Xs drives are better value.
    They have 4 hour batteries, card readers and screens.

    --
    Joan

    "Kevin Agard" <> wrote in message
    : Phil Stripling wrote: