    experienced folk.

    What brand you using? Would you buy the same again given what you now know?

    Thanks folks.
    Me, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Me

    Brad Griffis Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    news:3ff5302b$0$1747$...
    > Just started searching around for one and am always open to advice from

    the
    > experienced folk.
    >
    > What brand you using? Would you buy the same again given what you now

    know?

    > Thanks folks.

    I've used both D-Link and Linksys routers. Both worked great. I think I
    prefer the Linksys, but if one is significantly cheaper I'd go with that.

    If you own a laptop or are thinking about getting one in the future, buy a
    router with 802.11b or 802.11g capability. This will allow you to either
    add a wireless card to an existing laptop or if you get a laptop in the
    future it will probably have wireless built into it. It's nice to be able
    to use the internet from anywhere in your house!

    Brad
    Brad Griffis, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Me

    bmoag Guest

    I have used D-link and their telephone support has been very good.
    I also have a Microsoft router: it works well but the software has problems:
    if you are not connected to the internet with an always on connection it
    will try to dial-up and establish a connection frequently no matter how you
    set the software options.
    bmoag, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks folks.

    Have a permanent ADSL connection, but am wondering if there is a great
    difference in speed when using the Router?

    Me, Jan 2, 2004
  5. I use a Linksys, seems to be a good brand. I've noticed a lot of people
    recommend these as well. Seems some of the others cause a lot of headaches.

    If you are using the internet for gaming, don't use a wireless router. They
    send packets in spurts and will cause a lot of lag and/or disconnect
    problems.

    =The Anti-n00b=, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks for that.

    No gaming, just sick of cords.

    Me, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Me

    Hardtime Guest

    Linksys for 5 years now with no issues at all. I keep up with the
    updates and love it. I do also have my network locked down through
    the router and my individual machines. Linksys was fixing to put out
    a commerial version when it was bought out by Cisco, go figure :)

    Hardtime, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks Hardtime.

    How much difference in speed/download time have you guys noticed with
    routers?

    Me, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Me

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "=The Anti-n00b=" <> wrote in

    > If you are using the internet for gaming, don't use a wireless router.
    > They send packets in spurts and will cause a lot of lag and/or
    > disconnect problems.

    I've never seen this problem with my wireless setup. I have a linksys
    router with 4 port switch, a linksys WAP11, a 5 port switch (brand escapes
    me at the moment), and a DLink wireless card. I see good (under 200 ms)
    pings in UT and Q3A, no weird latency issues, or anything. I think it just
    depends on if the equipment plays well together.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Me

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in news:3ff63a6d$0$1742$5a62ac22
    @freenews.iinet.net.au:

    > How much difference in speed/download time have you guys noticed with
    > routers?

    Unless you have enough machines behind the router to max out your internet
    connection, there will be no difference in speed.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks to all who replied.