    --

    In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
    THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

    Howard, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Howard

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:31:41 -0800, Howard wrote:

    > I am thinking about getting one.....
    > I currently have a dx4900 and satisfied with its overall usage..takes
    > excellent night pics!
    > mainly want the 10x zoom
    > any input from one owning a 6490 will be appreciated.......
    >
    > howard

    try...

    http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=kodak 6490&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF
    -8&lr=&num=100&hl=en

    Pete, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Howard

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > I am thinking about getting one.....
    > I currently have a dx4900 and satisfied with its overall usage..takes
    > excellent night pics!
    > mainly want the 10x zoom
    > any input from one owning a 6490 will be appreciated.......
    >
    > howard

    I have it and although my photography skills are very limited, I'm quickly
    learning which settings to use to get good night shots.

    I have taken some moon shots and some sunsets. I can email them to you if you like.

    (replace # with @, and & with .)

    Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - UNICO Computer Systems
    Melbourne, Australia

    relate to the official business of my employer, UNICO Computer Systems,
    shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Howard

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    In article <br5er5$6bp$>,
    "Howard" <> wrote:

    > I am thinking about getting one.....
    > I currently have a dx4900 and satisfied with its overall usage..takes
    > excellent night pics!
    > mainly want the 10x zoom
    > any input from one owning a 6490 will be appreciated.......
    >
    > howard

    Good camera. Not happy with the Easy Share (I am on a Mac with OS 9.X).

    --
    Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Howard

    Tim Lapin Guest

    In article <>,
    Rudy Garcia <> wrote:

    > In article <br5er5$6bp$>,
    > "Howard" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am thinking about getting one.....
    > > I currently have a dx4900 and satisfied with its overall usage..takes
    > > excellent night pics!
    > > mainly want the 10x zoom
    > > any input from one owning a 6490 will be appreciated.......
    > >
    > > howard

    > Good camera. Not happy with the Easy Share (I am on a Mac with OS 9.X).

    All the more reason to go to OS X, if you can. iPhoto, from what I've
    seen, does all the stuff Easyshare does and is better integrated with
    your chosen apps. I don't believe iPhoto has a classic version.

    For example, Easyshare has a nice e-mail feature from what I can tell
    from reading the reviews but it does not seem to have any way to work
    with your EXISTING e-mail package.

    Other stuff, such as "red-eye" removal, library style grouping of photos
    and such tasks are also included in iPhoto.

    I might be missing a few truly great and *UNIQUE* features of EasyShare
    on the Mac but you now have some food for thought.

    One final note: There is a recently released version of Easyshare for
    the Mac. Can anyone comment on this version? (version 3, I believe)

    I will most likely buy this camera in the next few weeks (late Christmas
    gift actually:)) and will try it with iPhoto first.

    Tim Lapin, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Howard

    Dave Guest

    In article <>,
    Rudy Garcia <> wrote:

    > In article <br5er5$6bp$>,
    > "Howard" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am thinking about getting one.....
    > > I currently have a dx4900 and satisfied with its overall usage..takes
    > > excellent night pics!
    > > mainly want the 10x zoom
    > > any input from one owning a 6490 will be appreciated.......
    > >
    > > howard

    > Good camera. Not happy with the Easy Share (I am on a Mac with OS 9.X).

    Time to upgrade to Panther and EasyShare 3.2.. Then you will be VERY
    HAPPY

    Dave, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Howard

    Trevor S Guest

    "Howard" <> wrote in news:br5er5$6bp$1
    @quark.scn.rain.com:

    > I am thinking about getting one.....
    > I currently have a dx4900 and satisfied with its overall usage..takes
    > excellent night pics!
    > mainly want the 10x zoom
    > any input from one owning a 6490 will be appreciated.......

    My wife has one, she loves it, I have used it quite a bit.

    Plus
    Ease of use, excellent
    Good Ergonomics
    Great LCD Screen
    Excellent Zoom
    Good Finish
    EVF is good (thoug a few say it's bad, I find it quite good, I mainly use
    the LCD screen though)

    Minus
    Overcompression on saved jpegs leading to excessive noise. I find this
    disconcerting and it puts me off
    Colour is a little washed out though probably with more experimentation
    this might be fixed.

    I would not buy one until/if the JPEG compression is fixed (I assume the
    noise is from overley agressive compression and not a fault per se), of
    course what else at this price point with these features then becomes the
    Question ?

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Howard

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    In article <191220031912056506%>,
    Dave <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Rudy Garcia <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <br5er5$6bp$>,
    > > "Howard" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am thinking about getting one.....
    > > > I currently have a dx4900 and satisfied with its overall usage..takes
    > > > excellent night pics!
    > > > mainly want the 10x zoom
    > > > any input from one owning a 6490 will be appreciated.......
    > > >
    > > > howard

    > > Good camera. Not happy with the Easy Share (I am on a Mac with OS 9.X).

    > Time to upgrade to Panther and EasyShare 3.2.. Then you will be VERY
    > HAPPY

    Yeah, I know, but what do I do with all the software I have tha runs on
    OS 9 ?

    --
    Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Howard

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Trevor S wrote:
    > "Howard" <> wrote in news:br5er5$6bp$1
    > @quark.scn.rain.com:
    >

    >>I am thinking about getting one.....
    >>I currently have a dx4900 and satisfied with its overall usage..takes
    >>excellent night pics!
    >>mainly want the 10x zoom
    >>any input from one owning a 6490 will be appreciated.......

    > My wife has one, she loves it, I have used it quite a bit.
    >
    > Plus
    > Ease of use, excellent
    > Good Ergonomics
    > Great LCD Screen
    > Excellent Zoom
    > Good Finish
    > EVF is good (thoug a few say it's bad, I find it quite good, I mainly use
    > the LCD screen though)
    >
    > Minus
    > Overcompression on saved jpegs leading to excessive noise. I find this
    > disconcerting and it puts me off
    > Colour is a little washed out though probably with more experimentation
    > this might be fixed.
    >
    > I would not buy one until/if the JPEG compression is fixed (I assume the
    > noise is from overley agressive compression and not a fault per se), of
    > course what else at this price point with these features then becomes the
    > Question ?

    I still have not seen the problem with the 6490 compression in the
    sample pictures in reviews. Could you email me a picture at the address
    below so that I can see what you are talking about? Don't do any
    processing to the picture, just upload it as it comes from the camera....

    Ron Hunter, Dec 20, 2003