    mother-in-law to the lower circles of hell where she belongs? ;)

    PS: the above is not a request for yet another bout of preaching from
    the linux users.
    Squiggle, Jan 15, 2008

  2. On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:13:32 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote
    in <news:478c5d1c$>:

    > Has anyone installed SP3 yet? Any bugs, issues or other dramas we need
    > warning about?
    >
    > Or did it make everything go ten times faster, and banish the
    > mother-in-law to the lower circles of hell where she belongs? ;)
    >
    > PS: the above is not a request for yet another bout of preaching from
    > the linux users.

    But we'll get it anyway, Squig. They just don't have the willpower to
    refrain from taking every possible chance to proselytise, however
    inapposite.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... Smart men solve problems. Wise men avoid them.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 15, 2008

  3. Squiggle

    Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:13:32 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:

    >Has anyone installed SP3 yet? Any bugs, issues or other dramas we need
    >warning about?
    >
    >Or did it make everything go ten times faster, and banish the
    >mother-in-law to the lower circles of hell where she belongs? ;)
    >
    >PS: the above is not a request for yet another bout of preaching from
    >the linux users.

    I have it installed and get many IE6 crashes, showing urlmon.dll is the problem but that is
    upto date..
    , Jan 15, 2008
  4. Squiggle

    Cima Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:07:39 +1300, wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:13:32 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone installed SP3 yet? Any bugs, issues or other dramas we need
    >>warning about?
    >>
    >>Or did it make everything go ten times faster, and banish the
    >>mother-in-law to the lower circles of hell where she belongs? ;)
    >>
    >>PS: the above is not a request for yet another bout of preaching from
    >>the linux users.

    >I have it installed and get many IE6 crashes, showing urlmon.dll is the problem but that is
    >upto date..

    It's probably more geared towards IE7.
    Cima, Jan 15, 2008
  5. Squiggle

    Tony Guest

    > I have it installed and get many IE6 crashes, showing urlmon.dll is the problem but that is
    > upto date..

    you install a beta service pack but don't update to ie7 ? weird
    Tony, Jan 15, 2008
  6. Squiggle

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >> I have it installed and get many IE6 crashes, showing urlmon.dll is
    >> the problem but that is
    >> upto date..
    >>

    > you install a beta service pack but don't update to ie7 ? weird

    That's Roger he's stuck in the past with his 3000 favourites that IE7 won't
    list properly..
    That's his reason for stickng with an old OUT of date obsolete security risk
    browser.
    Craig Sutton, Jan 15, 2008
  7. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > Has anyone installed SP3 yet? Any bugs, issues or other dramas we need
    > warning about?
    >
    > Or did it make everything go ten times faster, and banish the
    > mother-in-law to the lower circles of hell where she belongs? ;)
    >
    > PS: the above is not a request for yet another bout of preaching from
    > the linux users.

    Installed it on my arcade machines old shuttle with the xp2100 on it
    since its going to be reinstalled soon anyway.

    It was unusably slow without anything running before it was installed.
    It took over an hour to install, it still is unusably slow so whatever
    the problem is, it was not solved.

    Now to add insult to it, another update for XP came along today, not it
    wont boot into last good or safe mode at all, just rebooting again and
    again and again.

    Oh well, reinstall time. I dont know if SP3 was responsable for the
    issue or not, and cant be assed looking into whats wrong since to get
    the drive out of there is a complete PITA with the computer being
    screwed into place.
    Richard, Jan 15, 2008
  8. Squiggle

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 15, 8:13 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > Has anyone installed SP3 yet? Any bugs, issues or other dramas we need
    > warning about?
    >
    > Or did it make everything go ten times faster, and banish the
    > mother-in-law to the lower circles of hell where she belongs? ;)
    >
    > PS: the above is not a request for yet another bout of preaching from
    > the linux users.

    "You in your small corner and I in mine"

    (Last line of an old sunday school hymn perhaps sung after preaching
    about fire, brimstone and hell)
    peterwn, Jan 15, 2008
  9. On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:31:57 GMT, Tony
    <> proffered, in :

    >> I have it installed and get many IE6 crashes, showing
    >> urlmon.dll is the problem but that is upto date..
    >>

    > you install a beta service pack but don't update to ie7 ? weird

    I'm reading this thread with interest because I'm stuck with IE6. I
    have tried repeatedly to get IE7 working but there's something about my
    JRE that it doesn't like. I get the "runonce" issue after installing,
    but even after hacking the registry to fix that, I get scripting errors
    on any page using JS, the browser just locks up and turning off the
    debugger makes no difference. I'd love to move to 7, but I've tried
    half a dozen times and spent hours googling for solutions to no avail.
    So I'm very interested in knowing if SP3 will work with IE6, at least
    until I can figure out how to successfully get IE7 up an running.

    --
    noho ora mai
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Jan 15, 2008
  10. Squiggle

    impossible Guest

    "Max Quordlepleen" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:31:57 GMT, Tony
    > <> proffered, in :
    >

    >>> I have it installed and get many IE6 crashes, showing
    >>> urlmon.dll is the problem but that is upto date..
    >>>

    >> you install a beta service pack but don't update to ie7 ? weird

    > I'm reading this thread with interest because I'm stuck with IE6. I
    > have tried repeatedly to get IE7 working but there's something about my
    > JRE that it doesn't like. I get the "runonce" issue after installing,
    > but even after hacking the registry to fix that, I get scripting errors
    > on any page using JS, the browser just locks up and turning off the
    > debugger makes no difference. I'd love to move to 7, but I've tried
    > half a dozen times and spent hours googling for solutions to no avail.
    > So I'm very interested in knowing if SP3 will work with IE6, at least
    > until I can figure out how to successfully get IE7 up an running.
    >
    > --

    You've probably seen this:

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29732125/ie7-java-problems.aspx

    Unusual problem, and I have no original solutions to suggest. The most
    likely culprits seem to be anti-virus/anti-spyware programs and browser
    addins that don't play well -- but if you've been searching for answers for
    a while, then I'm sure you've heard that before.
    impossible, Jan 15, 2008
  11. On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:13:57 GMT, "impossible"
    <> proffered, in :

    > http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29732125/ie7-java-proble
    > ms.aspx
    >
    > Unusual problem, and I have no original solutions to suggest. The
    > most likely culprits seem to be anti-virus/anti-spyware programs
    > and browser addins that don't play well -- but if you've been
    > searching for answers for a while, then I'm sure you've heard that
    > before.

    Actually, I haven't come across that thread before. It gives me
    something else to try. Thanks!

    Max Quordlepleen, Jan 15, 2008
  12. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Jan 15, 8:13 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >> Has anyone installed SP3 yet? Any bugs, issues or other dramas we need
    >> warning about?
    >>
    >> Or did it make everything go ten times faster, and banish the
    >> mother-in-law to the lower circles of hell where she belongs? ;)
    >>
    >> PS: the above is not a request for yet another bout of preaching from
    >> the linux users.

    > "You in your small corner and I in mine"
    >
    > (Last line of an old sunday school hymn perhaps sung after preaching
    > about fire, brimstone and hell)

    And as usual, there is always one who has to butt in with nothing useful
    to contribute.

    Just FYI I was asking because I am about to install opensuse 10.3 to
    have a play and since i need to juggle some partitions to free up some
    space I figured now was as good a time as any to do a windows reinstall.

    So while you might be firmly entrenched in your MS is evil, Linux is
    holy corner i simply view them as tools to get jobs done and use
    whichever is better for the current job.
    Squiggle, Jan 16, 2008
  13. Squiggle

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 16, 5:35 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > > On Jan 15, 8:13 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > >> Has anyone installed SP3 yet? Any bugs, issues or other dramas we need
    > >> warning about?

    > >> Or did it make everything go ten times faster, and banish the
    > >> mother-in-law to the lower circles of hell where she belongs? ;)

    > >> PS: the above is not a request for yet another bout of preaching from
    > >> the linux users.

    > > "You in your small corner and I in mine"

    > > (Last line of an old sunday school hymn perhaps sung after preaching
    > > about fire, brimstone and hell)

    > And as usual, there is always one who has to butt in with nothing useful
    > to contribute.
    >
    > Just FYI I was asking because I am about to install opensuse 10.3 to
    > have a play and since i need to juggle some partitions to free up some
    > space I figured now was as good a time as any to do a windows reinstall.
    >
    > So while you might be firmly entrenched in your MS is evil, Linux is
    > holy corner i simply view them as tools to get jobs done and use
    > whichever is better for the current job.

    You trolled for a comment, and you got it. So what is the problem?
    If it were not for that comment I would not have bitten.

    BTW where do you get sp3 from? Similar to sp2?
    peterwn, Jan 16, 2008
  14. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Jan 16, 5:35 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >> peterwn wrote:
    >>> "You in your small corner and I in mine"
    >>> (Last line of an old sunday school hymn perhaps sung after preaching
    >>> about fire, brimstone and hell)

    >> And as usual, there is always one who has to butt in with nothing useful
    >> to contribute.
    >>
    >> Just FYI I was asking because I am about to install opensuse 10.3 to
    >> have a play and since i need to juggle some partitions to free up some
    >> space I figured now was as good a time as any to do a windows reinstall.
    >>
    >> So while you might be firmly entrenched in your MS is evil, Linux is
    >> holy corner i simply view them as tools to get jobs done and use
    >> whichever is better for the current job.

    > You trolled for a comment, and you got it. So what is the problem?
    > If it were not for that comment I would not have bitten.

    That was not a troll, it was simply a statement to say that myself (and
    i am reasonably confident a lot of the readers in here) are bored to
    death with Lawrence, Lennier, yourself and others bashing windows/MS at
    every possible opportunity.

    > BTW where do you get sp3 from? Similar to sp2?

    Its at the RC stage, and can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4c-8423-4386-ad98-36b124a720aa&displaylang=en

    or I beleive there is a registry modification you can do to enable it to
    be downloaded as part of the automatic update process.
    Squiggle, Jan 16, 2008
  15. Squiggle

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 16, 6:11 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > >> And as usual, there is always one who has to butt in with nothing useful
    > >> to contribute.

    > >> Just FYI I was asking because I am about to install opensuse 10.3 to
    > >> have a play and since i need to juggle some partitions to free up some
    > >> space I figured now was as good a time as any to do a windows reinstall.

    > >> So while you might be firmly entrenched in your MS is evil, Linux is
    > >> holy corner i simply view them as tools to get jobs done and use
    > >> whichever is better for the current job.

    > > You trolled for a comment, and you got it. So what is the problem?
    > > If it were not for that comment I would not have bitten.

    > That was not a troll, it was simply a statement to say that myself (and
    > i am reasonably confident a lot of the readers in here) are bored to
    > death with Lawrence, Lennier, yourself and others bashing windows/MS at
    > every possible opportunity.

    For a host of reasons, MS is 'fair game' for comments criticising its
    business methods. For example MS in NZ quite happily bashed Open
    Source via a shill lawyer at the GOVIS conference several years ago,
    and then fed the State Services Commission what appeared to be an
    'impartial' paper on the 'perils' of Open Source which was just
    Microsoft FUD.

    I do not see why I should be forced into purchasing expensive
    propietary software to interact in society when Open Source commodity
    software is perfectly adequate.

    Nor do I see that people should believe that it is as natural for new
    PC's to be loaded with Windows as it is for the sun to rise each
    morning. Try and presrent a different piint of view and you get
    slapped around the ears and are called 'discredited' by Microsoft
    shills such as 'impossible'.

    So there you have it.
    peterwn, Jan 16, 2008
  16. In article <478d91f3$>, Squiggle did write:

    > Its at the RC stage...

    Do you have to wait one hour after deinstalling a previous version?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 16, 2008
  17. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > For a host of reasons, MS is 'fair game' for comments criticising its
    > business methods. For example MS in NZ quite happily bashed Open
    > Source via a shill lawyer at the GOVIS conference several years ago,
    > and then fed the State Services Commission what appeared to be an
    > 'impartial' paper on the 'perils' of Open Source which was just
    > Microsoft FUD.

    Fine, so start a thread called MS business methods are corrupt so myself
    and the rest of us who can't be arsed with the endless raving can ignore
    the thread.

    Do not hijack threads where people ask for help with using MS products,
    or comments on MS products to bash MS. It doesn't do your cause any
    good. A good salesman promotes his own product instead of bashing the
    competitors product, it leaves the customer thinking of you/your product
    in positive terms as opposed to having them remember you in a negative
    way because everything you said had a negative tone to it.

    And do you really think lobbying the people in here is going to acheive
    much? Lobby the people that need to know, eg the State services
    commission in your example above. Present them with the evidence that
    they are being played like fools and let human nature take it's course.

    > I do not see why I should be forced into purchasing expensive
    > propietary software to interact in society when Open Source commodity
    > software is perfectly adequate.

    You are not forced into it, there are PC builders that will happily sell
    you a PC with no OS installed, and a smaller number that will sell you
    one with Linux installed. And as the number of people using Linux
    increases there will be an increase in the number of shops that want to
    cater to that niche. Support them, it might cost a few dollars more for
    the hardware but you'll get better service and help out your cause.

    > Nor do I see that people should believe that it is as natural for new
    > PC's to be loaded with Windows as it is for the sun to rise each
    > morning.

    Agreed, it is much nicer to have the choice, but if a PC shop doesn't
    offer you a choice, take your business elsewhere and tell them why, they
    will get the message if enough people do it.
    The harsh truth of it is that at the moment 95% of PC buyers do want
    windows because thats:
    1) all they know.
    2) what their hardware/software supports.
    3) Its easier to use.
    4) Its what their cousin jimmy knows how to fix for them. (follows on
    from #1 & #3)

    So do something positive to address those first three problems and then
    tell/show the users it.

    Got a protocol anaylser of some sort? work on figuring out the protocol
    for some unsupported device then write a driver.
    Programming knowledge? choose a worthwhile app and add a useful feature
    or find and fix a bug.
    Cant do either of those but have spare time? Offer to install (or donate
    a live CD) Linux for somebody and help them learn how it works. Or write
    a user guide in good plain easy to understand language for something
    that has appalling documentation (theres plenty of software to choose from)

    >Try and presrent a different piint of view and you get
    > slapped around the ears and are called 'discredited' by Microsoft
    > shills such as 'impossible'.

    There are raving zealots on both sides of this arguement, but labelling
    somebody a shill is once again a negative move (more so if you don't
    have the proof to back it up). Argue the points, provide credible
    evidence and let the people decide for themselves.

    > So there you have it.

    And now you have my views. Do with them what you like :)
    Squiggle, Jan 16, 2008
  18. In <fmk8iv$urr$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <478d91f3$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> Its at the RC stage...

    > Do you have to wait one hour after deinstalling a previous version?

    No, that's just an old wive's tale.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Jan 16, 2008
  19. In article <>, Roger Johnstone did
    write:

    > In <fmk8iv$urr$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <478d91f3$>, Squiggle did write:
    >>
    >>> Its at the RC stage...

    >> Do you have to wait one hour after deinstalling a previous version?

    > No...

    Not like Visaster
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=529d992a-d69e-4c73-9213-7a7f3852c0ca&displaylang=en&tm>,
    then:

    Please wait one hour after uninstalling a previous version of Windows
    Vista SP1 before installing Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh. The installer
    service needs to clean up and complete the uninstall prior to installing
    the RC. Failing to do this can result in installation errors when
    installing the RC version.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 17, 2008
  20. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Squiggle" typed:

    > That was not a troll, it was simply a statement to say that myself
    > (and i am reasonably confident a lot of the readers in here) are
    > bored to death with Lawrence, Lennier, yourself and others bashing
    > windows/MS at every possible opportunity.

    Which is why all I ever see of them is when people like yourself reply to
    them!
    --

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 17, 2008