    Software's DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering how easy it is to use, and
    if it's free of spyware and such. I'd be open to any opinions.

    -Doc
    docdude316, Apr 5, 2005

  2. docdude316

    damnfine Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" wrote:
    >> Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried InterVocative
    >> Software's DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering how easy it is to use, and if
    >> it's free of spyware and such. I'd be open to any opinions.

    > Use it and love it.

    Do you have your collection viewable online? I'd be interested to take a
    look.

    --
    /^\damnfine/^\
    "Where is Richard Nixon when we finally need him?"
    damnfine, Apr 5, 2005

  3. docdude316

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "docdude316" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried InterVocative Software's
    > DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering how easy it is to use, and if it's free
    > of spyware and such. I'd be open to any opinions.
    >
    > -Doc

    Highly recommended.
    Jay Stewart, Apr 5, 2005
  4. docdude316

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried InterVocative
    > Software's DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering how easy it is to use, and
    > if it's free of spyware and such. I'd be open to any opinions.

    Use it and love it.

    There's a free version. Try it out. If you don't like it, don't pay for
    the upgrade to the premium service.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 5, 2005
  5. docdude316 wrote:
    > Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried InterVocative
    > Software's DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering how easy it is to use, and
    > if it's free of spyware and such. I'd be open to any opinions.

    It has no spyware. Free trial, lifetime ownership if you decide to pay for
    it, and a reasonably easy-to-use interface (with, admittedly, a couple of
    quirks and a bit less customiseability than I'd like).

    If you just want to have a good archival list of what DVDs you own, it's
    fantastic. If (like me) you can't resist the urge to tinker with the
    user-created disc profiles - unifying all your Criterion discs under one
    studio label, rather than "Criterion", "Criterion Collection", "The
    Criterion Collection", etc. - you'll still appreciate it, but you'll run up
    against its interface limitations a bit more often.

    Still, I've seen nothing else that (IMHO) competes effectively with it.

    HTH,

    doug

    --
    "Everything is good these days, but all of my friends are dying..."
    --Magnapop
    Douglas Bailey, Apr 5, 2005
  6. docdude316

    AceoHearts Guest

    AceoHearts, Apr 5, 2005
  7. docdude316

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    docdude316 wrote:
    > Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried InterVocative
    > Software's DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering how easy it is to use, and
    > if it's free of spyware and such. I'd be open to any opinions.
    >
    > -Doc

    It's free of spyware. It's good enough that I paid the 25 dollars to
    encourage the developers. There are a few things that I don't like such
    as when you add a series of new dvd's the data automatically defaults to
    today instead of defaulting for the second,third... disks to the date
    for the first entry. I also wish you could take the XML file that the
    program exports and import it back into the program.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Apr 5, 2005
  8. docdude316

    Dan Guest

    docdude316 wrote:
    > Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried InterVocative
    > Software's DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering how easy it is to use, and
    > if it's free of spyware and such. I'd be open to any opinions.
    >
    > -Doc

    I use the free version. It's a good program, although one of my DVD's
    that was released in January still isn't in their database.
    If ayone has Whiteboyz, please add it. I'm not familiar with how to do
    it. I've tried adding one before, but I think it only showed up in my
    collection and not publically.
    My profile can be found at:
    http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Dango727

    --
    Dan
    http://www.dango727.com
    Dan, Apr 5, 2005
  9. docdude316

    FAQmeister Guest

    AceoHearts wrote:
    > I got the free version and liked it so much that I upgraded to the
    > premium set. It is easy to use and makes life a lot easier,
    > especially if you have a large collection. Here is the link to my
    > collection online:
    > http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/aceohearts
    > AceoHearts

    Wow. 1445 titles!
    And I thought I had a problem. :)
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Apr 5, 2005
  10. docdude316

    Ed Kim Guest

    docdude316 wrote:
    > Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried InterVocative
    > Software's DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering how easy it is to use,

    and
    > if it's free of spyware and such. I'd be open to any opinions.
    >
    > -Doc

    i use it. it's good. It's pretty cool if you have a color laser
    printer. i keep all my dvds in a bookshelf (2deep) in the other room
    and have a binder with the dvdlist (with cover images) in the main room
    as the "Menu".

    i get a weird error whenever i try to use "TAGS", though. and i wish
    there were a few user-customizable elements, like Genre, etc.

    i'm waiting for the new Beta to go Final as to whether i'll pay for it.

    here's my collection:

    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Goro216

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Apr 5, 2005
  11. docdude316

    AceoHearts Guest

    > Wow. 1445 titles!
    > And I thought I had a problem. :)
    > --
    > Buford T. Justice

    And those are titles. One thing that bugs me about DVD Profiler is that if
    you buy a boxed set, The Complete Nightmare Collection, it counts it as one
    title even though there are 7 movies in it. You can get around this by
    adding each one individually, but sometimes the profile isn't the same. It
    shows 1445, but I actually have 1503 titles, actually more since I just went
    to Best Buy and ordered a ton at Deep Discount.

    AceoHearts
    AceoHearts, Apr 5, 2005
  12. docdude316

    Lithurge Guest

    Dan <> wrote in

    I've tried adding one
    > before, but I think it only showed up in my collection and
    > not publically.

    The easy way is to double click the globe icon that appears in
    the top right of the main profile window.

    If the globe is not showing there go to the top menu bar and
    select:

    Online > Contribute DVD Profile > Click yes (if it says the dvd
    has locks)

    You'll need to complete the guidelines by clicking the link that
    appears if that is not already ticked, then Contribute.

    That makes it sound more difficult than it is in practice
    Lithurge, Apr 5, 2005
  13. docdude316

    Lithurge Guest

    Dick Sidbury <> wrote in

    > docdude316 wrote:
    >> Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried
    >> InterVocative Software's DVD Profiler? I'm just wondering
    >> how easy it is to use, and if it's free of spyware and
    >> such. I'd be open to any opinions.
    >>
    >> -Doc

    > It's free of spyware. It's good enough that I paid the 25
    > dollars to encourage the developers.

    Just a heads up it's $30 now. Still worth it though.
    Lithurge, Apr 5, 2005
  14. docdude316

    FAQmeister Guest

    AceoHearts wrote:
    >> Wow. 1445 titles!
    >> And I thought I had a problem. :)
    >> --
    >> Buford T. Justice

    > And those are titles. One thing that bugs me about DVD Profiler is
    > that if you buy a boxed set, The Complete Nightmare Collection, it
    > counts it as one title even though there are 7 movies in it. You can
    > get around this by adding each one individually, but sometimes the
    > profile isn't the same. It shows 1445, but I actually have 1503
    > titles, actually more since I just went to Best Buy and ordered a ton
    > at Deep Discount.
    > AceoHearts

    How do you store all of those? Binders?
    FAQmeister, Apr 5, 2005
  15. docdude316

    AceoHearts Guest

    > How do you store all of those? Binders?
    > --

    Actually up until yesterday they were in several very large bookcases,
    alphabetically of course, but I had a friend build me custom shelves in mmy
    living room. He still needs to build a corner section for the shelves, but
    at least I got rid of the 3 big book cases. I have 3 smaller racks, 1 with
    the end of the collection, 1 with boxed sets, and one with anime. I also
    have a video cabinet that has all my anime boxed sets. My parents have a
    collection that is bigger than mine by about 300 and they converted a
    walk-in closet to DVD storage room. I can post pix if anyone is interested.
    I almost forgot, I have a black standing rack that holds all the Bear in the
    Big Blue House, Dora, Wiggles, and other kids shows.

    AceoHearts
    AceoHearts, Apr 6, 2005
  16. docdude316

    Dan Guest

    Lithurge wrote:
    > Dan <> wrote in
    >

    > I've tried adding one
    >
    >>before, but I think it only showed up in my collection and
    >>not publically.

    > The easy way is to double click the globe icon that appears in
    > the top right of the main profile window.
    >
    > If the globe is not showing there go to the top menu bar and
    > select:
    >
    > Online > Contribute DVD Profile > Click yes (if it says the dvd
    > has locks)
    >
    > You'll need to complete the guidelines by clicking the link that
    > appears if that is not already ticked, then Contribute.
    >
    > That makes it sound more difficult than it is in practice

    OK, I tried submitting a title and everything seemed to work, but it's
    not showing my name as a contributor. Will that happen in time or did I
    miss a step somewhere?

    --
    Dan
    http://www.dango727.com
    Dan, Apr 6, 2005
  17. docdude316

    AceoHearts Guest

    > OK, I tried submitting a title and everything seemed to work, but it's not
    > showing my name as a contributor. Will that happen in time or did I miss a
    > step somewhere?

    You have to wait a fe wdays. I am not sure if they review the submissions
    or not, but it seems like every few days there are updated profiles. And I
    know that ones I have done from scratch, added cover scans too, or filled in
    missing information won't list me as a contributer until I download the
    update and that is usually a few days later.

    AceoHearts
    AceoHearts, Apr 6, 2005
  18. docdude316

    Galley Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:23:06 GMT, "AceoHearts" <> spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >> Wow. 1445 titles!
    >> And I thought I had a problem. :)
    >> --
    >> Buford T. Justice

    >And those are titles. One thing that bugs me about DVD Profiler is that if
    >you buy a boxed set, The Complete Nightmare Collection, it counts it as one
    >title even though there are 7 movies in it. You can get around this by
    >adding each one individually, but sometimes the profile isn't the same. It
    >shows 1445, but I actually have 1503 titles, actually more since I just went
    >to Best Buy and ordered a ton at Deep Discount.
    >
    >AceoHearts

    The latest version supports boxed sets.

    Galley
    Galley, Apr 6, 2005
  19. docdude316

    Lithurge Guest

    Dan <> wrote in

    > Lithurge wrote:
    >>

    > OK, I tried submitting a title and everything seemed to
    > work, but it's not showing my name as a contributor. Will
    > that happen in time or did I miss a step somewhere?

    Things get a bit more complicated when they hit IVS these days.

    There's a voting and acceptance system in place, where the other
    users get to vote on changes to a profile and an IVS checker
    then actually accepts or rejects the update. (They can accept or
    reject against the votes). In theory stuff should be
    accepted/rejected in two days, however there is a beta update
    going on so it's closer to 10 days at the moment.

    There is a weekly database update release every wednesday. That
    contains profiles that have been released.

    When the beta is finished and the new version is released they
    will be removing the name field from Profiler so nobody's name
    will show there.

    Having said that if you want to see how people are voting &
    whether or not your update is accepted, you can do that from the
    Profiler website, by locking into 'My Profiler' and going to the
    contributions page.

    Start here:

    http://www.intervocative.com/MyProfiler.aspx
    Lithurge, Apr 6, 2005
  20. docdude316

    Lithurge Guest

    "AceoHearts" <> wrote in

    > You have to wait a fe wdays. I am not sure if they review
    > the submissions or not, but it seems like every few days
    > there are updated profiles.

    Yes, log into My Profiler on the website & go to the
    contributions page. You'll see the status of your contributions
    there.
    Lithurge, Apr 6, 2005