    I'm not sure the point, but I just thought I'd let everyone know that AIM
    now attempts to install spyware/malware and also hogs poor dialup users
    bandwith by playing video advertisments.

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 20, 2004

  2. DeMoN LaG

    colin Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns94D1F3E64837Wobbly@208.42.66.156...
    > I normally use Trillian for my chatting needs, but still have a copy of

    AIM
    > on one of my machines (I guess too lazy to install Trillian and uninstall
    > AIM). Four times in the past hour those stupid ads that AOL displays in
    > AIM have actually prompted me to install what I would consider to be
    > malicious programs. Stuff that is described as "Free cool games internet
    > chat search tools fun suff" from no company. WTF is up with that?
    > Honestly, I'm all about advertising supported software. I use the free
    > version of Eudora that is advertising supported, and I don't mind ads in
    > AIM, but they are getting far to invasive. Attempts to install software,
    > and the fact they now waste my bandwith by downloading movies to play as
    > advertisments is just getting to be too much. My girlfriend has found

    they
    > don't discriminate based on bandwith, as she is on dialup and still gets
    > stuck with movie ads. It's bad enough that she switched to using GAIM

    (GNU
    > AIM) instead of AIM.
    >
    > I'm not sure the point, but I just thought I'd let everyone know that AIM
    > now attempts to install spyware/malware and also hogs poor dialup users
    > bandwith by playing video advertisments.

    There`s some ad removals at the following website.
    http://www.etplanet.com/download/aim.shtm
    Can`t verify their usefulness though, as I`m not an aol im user.

    colin, Apr 20, 2004

  3. DeMoN LaG

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > I normally use Trillian for my chatting needs, but still have a copy of

    AIM
    > on one of my machines (I guess too lazy to install Trillian and uninstall
    > AIM). Four times in the past hour those stupid ads that AOL displays in
    > AIM have actually prompted me to install what I would consider to be
    > malicious programs. Stuff that is described as "Free cool games internet
    > chat search tools fun suff" from no company. WTF is up with that?
    > Honestly, I'm all about advertising supported software. I use the free
    > version of Eudora that is advertising supported, and I don't mind ads in
    > AIM, but they are getting far to invasive. Attempts to install software,
    > and the fact they now waste my bandwith by downloading movies to play as
    > advertisments is just getting to be too much. My girlfriend has found

    they
    > don't discriminate based on bandwith, as she is on dialup and still gets
    > stuck with movie ads. It's bad enough that she switched to using GAIM

    (GNU
    > AIM) instead of AIM.
    >
    > I'm not sure the point, but I just thought I'd let everyone know that AIM
    > now attempts to install spyware/malware and also hogs poor dialup users
    > bandwith by playing video advertisments.

    I've stuck to usingg AIM as opposed to Trillian, but I'm still using one of
    the older versions. A number of my friends have complained about the
    software and movie downloads as well. The only reason I haven't moved
    over to Trillian is inertia. One day when I'm bored...

    Adam Steiner, Apr 20, 2004
  4. DeMoN LaG

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message
    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > > I normally use Trillian for my chatting needs, but still have a copy of

    > AIM
    > > on one of my machines (I guess too lazy to install Trillian and

    uninstall
    > > AIM).

    xxxxxxxx snip xxxxxxxx
    > I've stuck to usingg AIM as opposed to Trillian, but I'm still using one

    of
    > the older versions. A number of my friends have complained about the
    > software and movie downloads as well. The only reason I haven't moved
    > over to Trillian is inertia. One day when I'm bored...

    Geezzzz,,,,,, both of you guys could have installed and configured Trillian
    in the time it took to complain about being too lazy to do so.
    http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    Pepperoni, Apr 20, 2004