Anyone tried the new MS antivirus yet?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by olfart, Oct 8, 2009.

  1. olfart

    olfart Guest

    olfart, Oct 8, 2009

  2. olfart

    gangle Guest

    "olfart" wrote

    > I have it on one of my test boxes. It doesn't seem to do an automatic
    > update. It will update manually though.
    > Any comments so far???

    If it has "Microsoft" written on it, there's a 98% chance
    it sucks donkey turds.

    The End

    gangle, Oct 8, 2009

  3. gangle wrote:

    > "olfart" wrote
    > >
    > > I have it on one of my test boxes. It doesn't seem to do an automatic
    > > update. It will update manually though.
    > > Any comments so far???

    > If it has "Microsoft" written on it, there's a 98% chance
    > it sucks donkey turds.
    >
    > The End

    What's do you have against donkey turds?

    Chicken Little, Oct 8, 2009
  4. olfart

    VanguardLH Guest

    olfart wrote:

    > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >
    > I have it on one of my test boxes. It doesn't seem to do an automatic
    > update. It will update manually though.
    > Any comments so far???

    Silent updates are a known problem with MSE. It happens on a lot of
    hosts. It happened when I trialed the product twice in a virtual
    machine. Considering that it doesn't prevent itself from termination,
    you'll probably want to find a better product.

    VanguardLH, Oct 8, 2009
  5. olfart

    housetrained Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >
    > I have it on one of my test boxes. It doesn't seem to do an automatic
    > update. It will update manually though.
    > Any comments so far???

    Yes. Updates auto using WIN7 EC
    p.s. Try to ignore the trolls
    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><

    housetrained, Oct 8, 2009
  6. olfart

    John Holmes Guest

    ~BD~ "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > installed it on my wife's laptop

    LOL, that's a nice test case, right?

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Oct 8, 2009
  7. olfart

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:35:46 -0400, "olfart" <> wrote:

    >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >
    >I have it on one of my test boxes. It doesn't seem to do an automatic
    >update. It will update manually though.
    >Any comments so far???

    I tried Windows 7 and MS Security Essentials on an OLD HP laptop model 2190,
    64 MB shared video and 704 available RAM.

    Ran like shit... used 38% of the possessor most of the time (Celeron 2.1 GHz)

    G. Morgan, Oct 8, 2009
  8. olfart

    PeeCee Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >
    > I have it on one of my test boxes. It doesn't seem to do an automatic
    > update. It will update manually though.
    > Any comments so far???

    AMD 7750, 4GB RAM, Vista etc

    Installed MSE week ago, no problems other than detecting the remote control
    software in Tight VNC. (just allowed it)

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 8, 2009
  9. olfart

    Jim S Guest

    On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:35:54 +1300, PeeCee wrote:

    > "olfart" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >>
    >> I have it on one of my test boxes. It doesn't seem to do an automatic
    >> update. It will update manually though.
    >> Any comments so far???
    >>

    > AMD 7750, 4GB RAM, Vista etc
    >
    > Installed MSE week ago, no problems other than detecting the remote control
    > software in Tight VNC. (just allowed it)
    >
    > Paul.

    Installed on XP SP3
    Uninstalled Avast and Windows Defender.
    Seems OK.
    My pc seems to open, run and close faster too.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Oct 9, 2009
  10. olfart

    John Holmes Guest

    ~BD~ "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> ~BD~ "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> installed it on my wife's laptop

    >> LOL, that's a nice test case, right?
    >>

    > Not sure what the implication is there, John ......
    >
    > It cerainly won't work on my Apple iMac!
    >
    > Dave

    The implication is that I always install new software on a test computer
    in my lab before installing it on my main machines. Just to see what it
    does.

    If I'd use my wife's laptop for testing purposes I'd have to sleep in the
    basement.

    ;-)

    --
    <snip>