  1. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    well, 24 bucks for 3 months. What are the hook ups like ? Anyone know ?
    Troglodyte, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Troglodyte

    al Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:21:18 +1300, Troglodyte wrote:

    > well, 24 bucks for 3 months. What are the hook ups like ? Anyone know ?

    Intermittent disconnects according to a friend
    al, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Troglodyte

    al, Dec 31, 2004
  4. Troglodyte

    E. Scrooge Guest

    ?

    > Intermittent disconnects according to a friend

    One can actually get that by not setting their software options up properly.
    It doesn't mean it's caused the ISP in some cases.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Troglodyte

    E. Scrooge Guest

    E. Scrooge, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Troglodyte

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Troglodyte" <> wrote in message
    > well, 24 bucks for 3 months. What are the hook ups like ? Anyone know ?

    What have you got to lose by trying them out? I don't think they have a
    news server though.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Troglodyte

    E. Scrooge, Dec 31, 2004
  8. Troglodyte

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:21:18 +1300, Troglodyte <> had
    this to say:

    >well, 24 bucks for 3 months. What are the hook ups like ? Anyone know ?

    As with everything, you get what you pay for...
    Gurble, Dec 31, 2004
  9. Troglodyte

    Gurble, Dec 31, 2004
  10. Troglodyte

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:41:39 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    >>well, 24 bucks for 3 months. What are the hook ups like ? Anyone know ?

    > As with everything, you get what you pay for...

    Paying extra doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/01/2005 1:16:09 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jan 1, 2005
  11. Troglodyte

    Brendan, Jan 1, 2005
  12. Troglodyte

    paora Guest

    wrote:

    >well, 24 bucks for 3 months. What are the hook ups like ? Anyone know ?

    With my current service due for renewal in a few days time I decided
    to give KOL a try - I hardly notice much, if any, difference to my
    Slingshot connection and I found Slinghot delivered me a service that
    was at least the equal of any other ISP - even those that charged
    50+% more.

    I'm not sure about newsgroup access with KOL but I use
    news.individual.net anyway.
    paora, Jan 1, 2005
  13. Troglodyte

    paora Guest

    paora, Jan 1, 2005
  14. Troglodyte

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 13:34:48 +1300, Brendan <>
    had this to say:

    >On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:41:39 +1300, Gurble wrote:
    >
    >>>well, 24 bucks for 3 months. What are the hook ups like ? Anyone know ?

    >> As with everything, you get what you pay for...

    >Paying extra doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

    But paying less almost definately does.
    Gurble, Jan 1, 2005
  15. Troglodyte

    Gurble, Jan 1, 2005
  16. Troglodyte

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:10:09 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    >>> As with everything, you get what you pay for...

    >>Paying extra doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

    > But paying less almost definately does.

    Anyone here will be able to tell you of many times they paid less for
    something than someone else did, and got a better result.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/01/2005 2:47:06 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jan 1, 2005
  17. Troglodyte

    Brendan, Jan 1, 2005
  18. Troglodyte

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 14:49:32 +1300, Brendan <>
    had this to say:

    >>>Paying extra doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

    >> But paying less almost definately does.

    >Anyone here will be able to tell you of many times they paid less for
    >something than someone else did, and got a better result.

    A wise man once said to me:

    Excellent Service, Quality Product, Cheapest Price.

    Pick Any Two.

    In many cases these days (eg a certain red shed), this has become
    "pick any one". Generally, it is a tradeoff between the three. eg the
    cheaper the price, the lower the service and quality. The higher the
    quality, the more you pay (or the lower the service). Think of it as
    three numbers between one and 10 (representing the above), that can
    add up to no more than about 16 collectively. Adding up to more than
    16 usually results in a business failing - either they are too
    expensive (so people don't want them), or they are not costing things
    correctly, and losing money. Much lower than 15 or 16 has the same
    result.

    It is simply not possible for a business to offer all three and
    survive (or even a "10" in two of them), as many businesses discover
    (often too late - see the atrocious stats of business survival in NZ).

    I challenge you to name a business where this doesn't apply, that has
    been trading for more than three years (ie sustainable).
    Gurble, Jan 1, 2005
  19. Troglodyte

    Gurble, Jan 1, 2005
  20. KOL?

    Korea On Line? - The service is as bad as you get from AOL, but you
    get a little Kim Jong-Il puppet as an Online Assistant

    Kiwi On line? - Ditto, but the Goodnight Kiwi is resurrected for the
    Online Assistant task

    ka kite,
    Steve
    Bring back the animated paper-clip, I say.
    Steve Marshall, Jan 1, 2005