Anyone tried DSE soundcard xh7847?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Hi there,

    I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
    find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
    recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
    exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.

    Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
    means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
    recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.

    So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
    not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Chris Wilkinson

    SteveM Guest

    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    > suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
    > find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
    > recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
    > exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.
    >
    > Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
    > means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
    > recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.
    >
    > So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
    > not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!
    >


    The chipset has been around for sometime and has been used in such
    cards as the leadtek 4x and 6x.

    3D Sound Surge have some reviews for CMI Chipset.

    Go to: http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?keyword=cmi8738
    for more info.

    I have purchased several of the Leadtek cards in the past (still in my
    drawer actually) mainly for the spdif in/out functionality so I could
    connect my HTPC (Home Theatre PC) to my DD/DTS receiver.

    The actual Analog performance of the cards are not that great (compared
    to, say, an Audigy) and do consume some CPU for some of the more advanced
    features of the chip (3D processing etc) but for the price...........???

    SteveM
    SteveM, Feb 6, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hi there,

    SteveM wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    >>suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
    >>find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
    >>recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
    >>exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.
    >>
    >>Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
    >>means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
    >>recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.
    >>
    >>So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
    >>not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!
    >>

    >
    >
    > The chipset has been around for sometime and has been used in such
    > cards as the leadtek 4x and 6x.
    >
    > 3D Sound Surge have some reviews for CMI Chipset.
    >
    > Go to: http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?keyword=cmi8738
    > for more info.
    >
    > I have purchased several of the Leadtek cards in the past (still in my
    > drawer actually) mainly for the spdif in/out functionality so I could
    > connect my HTPC (Home Theatre PC) to my DD/DTS receiver.
    >
    > The actual Analog performance of the cards are not that great (compared
    > to, say, an Audigy) and do consume some CPU for some of the more advanced
    > features of the chip (3D processing etc) but for the price...........???


    They're about $50. Thats cheap, but yet again I cannot find any reviews
    that talk about recording/sampling quality. When you say analog is no
    good do you mean that you've tried sampling/recording from mic/line-in,
    and found the samples to be noisy/poor clarity etc?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
    #3
  4. Chris Wilkinson

    K & S Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:06:20 GMT, SteveM
    <> wrote:

    >Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    >> suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
    >> find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
    >> recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
    >> exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.
    >>
    >> Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
    >> means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
    >> recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.
    >>
    >> So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
    >> not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!
    >>

    >
    >The chipset has been around for sometime and has been used in such
    >cards as the leadtek 4x and 6x.
    >
    >3D Sound Surge have some reviews for CMI Chipset.
    >
    >Go to: http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?keyword=cmi8738
    >for more info.
    >
    >I have purchased several of the Leadtek cards in the past (still in my
    >drawer actually) mainly for the spdif in/out functionality so I could
    >connect my HTPC (Home Theatre PC) to my DD/DTS receiver.
    >
    >The actual Analog performance of the cards are not that great (compared
    >to, say, an Audigy) and do consume some CPU for some of the more advanced
    >features of the chip (3D processing etc) but for the price...........???
    >
    >SteveM




    You can still get the SBlive 5.1 and that hardly uses the CPU, most other
    sound card use some 14-20% so can be a problem with 3D Games, the Only other
    one that is good is a Nvidia one that I think now can be got on a card..
    K & S, Feb 6, 2004
    #4
  5. Hi there,

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > In article <>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    >>suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I

    >
    > Unfortunately DSE should be the last place to go for PC parts pricewise
    > http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_15.html#g37


    Most other shops don't seem to cater for the 'middle'. They have
    $30 cheapies, or Audigy2, or nothing...

    M-Audio make the perfect cards for me, but not for my budget. They
    start at around $500...I'm not wanting to spend more than $100...

    > Perhaps you'll find a better card cheaper on trademe ( Audigy go quite
    > cheaply sometimes)
    > Even some quite old cards still sound pretty good (Diamond monster100/300)
    > Or a Esonic/SB_PCI64:good digital(Better than SB Live) & dirt cheap, see below
    > http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm
    > Just a few alternatives maybee??
    > You may want a card with toslink i/p: a good option.
    > Im looking at buying a Minidisk recorder for this sort of thing.


    My recordings will be mixed down to 16-bit 44kHz AIFF uncompressed
    stereo for maximum CD-quality, then dumped digitally to CD-R...

    > When I tried PC Recording (years back) I had 3 SB16_AWE cards giving me a 6track recorder.
    > The quality even with these crappy cards was damn good compared to tape (limiting factor was
    > lack of good mic's)


    My recording software (Audacity) will allow realtime 24 track playback
    and mixdown with my AthlonXP 2500+. But the beautiful tone and clarity
    of my 30+ year old Yamaha classical acoustic guitar, strung with decent
    Martin strings, is completely wasted unless I can get a soundcard
    that only records what the guitar plays, and not added annoying digital
    scritch like my current soundcard does...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
    #5
  6. SteveM wrote:

    > Go to: http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?keyword=cmi8738
    > for more info.
    >
    > I have purchased several of the Leadtek cards in the past (still in my
    > drawer actually) mainly for the spdif in/out functionality so I could
    > connect my HTPC (Home Theatre PC) to my DD/DTS receiver.
    >
    > The actual Analog performance of the cards are not that great (compared
    > to, say, an Audigy) and do consume some CPU for some of the more advanced
    > features of the chip (3D processing etc) but for the price...........???


    Noise comes down to the codecs used and the qualiy of board design and
    construction, the actual chip doing the PCI interface will have nothing to do
    with quality unless its doing some dodgey resampling like the creative live and
    audigy do.

    That said, the noisefloor on the leadtek winfast 6x I have on playback is
    clearly cleaner then the only other card I have, which is a no-brander. I have
    not tested the recording as I have no need for analog in, only the spdif in.

    Im glad to say the leadtek does bit for bit recording, comparing the wav
    recorded from my cd player plugged into the spdif in and the one ripped with EAC
    showed them identical once the leading silance was trimmed. Cant do that on an
    audigy..

    I would get one and then plan for an external ADC, a minidisc deck or standalone
    CDR unit will do the task.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Feb 6, 2004
    #6
  7. Hi there,

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > SteveM wrote:
    >
    >> Go to: http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?keyword=cmi8738
    >> for more info.
    >>
    >> I have purchased several of the Leadtek cards in the past (still in my
    >> drawer actually) mainly for the spdif in/out functionality so I could
    >> connect my HTPC (Home Theatre PC) to my DD/DTS receiver.

    >
    > >

    >
    >> The actual Analog performance of the cards are not that great
    >> (compared to, say, an Audigy) and do consume some CPU for some of the
    >> more advanced
    >> features of the chip (3D processing etc) but for the price...........???

    >
    >
    > Noise comes down to the codecs used and the qualiy of board design and
    > construction, the actual chip doing the PCI interface will have nothing
    > to do with quality unless its doing some dodgey resampling like the
    > creative live and audigy do.


    To the best of my knowledge the CMI8738 device integrates ALL the usual
    sound ADC, DAC, codec, wavetable, pci bus, and everything into one slab.

    In theory recording could suffer from noise pickup, since the DAC/ADC
    will not be buffered/filtered and shielded, but thats theory...I'm
    after peoples practical experience with the CMI8738 based cards.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
    #7
  8. Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >> Noise comes down to the codecs used and the qualiy of board design and
    >> construction, the actual chip doing the PCI interface will have
    >> nothing to do with quality unless its doing some dodgey resampling
    >> like the creative live and audigy do.

    >
    >
    > To the best of my knowledge the CMI8738 device integrates ALL the usual
    > sound ADC, DAC, codec, wavetable, pci bus, and everything into one slab.


    Hrrm, just had another look at it and yeah, there are no other chips _at all_ on
    the card.

    I would just buy it and if it sucks take it back.. dse are good in that respect.

    > In theory recording could suffer from noise pickup, since the DAC/ADC
    > will not be buffered/filtered and shielded, but thats theory...I'm
    > after peoples practical experience with the CMI8738 based cards.


    Never tested it, and I have desoldered all the fucking 3.5mm jacks they inflict
    on you with sound cards and put shielded wire to the 6 required RCAs for the 5.1
    output..
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Feb 6, 2004
    #8
  9. Hi there,

    K & S wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:06:20 GMT, SteveM
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    >>news::
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hi there,
    >>>
    >>>I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    >>>suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
    >>>find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
    >>>recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
    >>>exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.
    >>>
    >>>Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
    >>>means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
    >>>recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.
    >>>
    >>>So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
    >>>not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!
    >>>

    >>
    >>The chipset has been around for sometime and has been used in such
    >>cards as the leadtek 4x and 6x.
    >>
    >>3D Sound Surge have some reviews for CMI Chipset.
    >>
    >>Go to: http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?keyword=cmi8738
    >>for more info.
    >>
    >>I have purchased several of the Leadtek cards in the past (still in my
    >>drawer actually) mainly for the spdif in/out functionality so I could
    >>connect my HTPC (Home Theatre PC) to my DD/DTS receiver.
    >>
    >>The actual Analog performance of the cards are not that great (compared
    >>to, say, an Audigy) and do consume some CPU for some of the more advanced
    >>features of the chip (3D processing etc) but for the price...........???

    >
    > You can still get the SBlive 5.1 and that hardly uses the CPU, most other
    > sound card use some 14-20% so can be a problem with 3D Games, the Only other
    > one that is good is a Nvidia one that I think now can be got on a card..


    I have no need for gaming features or 5.1 surround, since the only use
    I'm going to seriously put the card to is recording/sampling. Thats why
    I'm not that keen on Audigy/2 since they are full of kiddie-pop gaming
    features that I will be paying far too much to not use...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
    #9
  10. In article <>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >
    >I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    >suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I

    Unfortunately DSE should be the last place to go for PC parts pricewise
    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_15.html#g37

    Perhaps you'll find a better card cheaper on trademe ( Audigy go quite
    cheaply sometimes)
    Even some quite old cards still sound pretty good (Diamond monster100/300)
    Or a Esonic/SB_PCI64:good digital(Better than SB Live) & dirt cheap, see below
    http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm
    Just a few alternatives maybee??
    You may want a card with toslink i/p: a good option.
    Im looking at buying a Minidisk recorder for this sort of thing.

    When I tried PC Recording (years back) I had 3 SB16_AWE cards giving me a 6track recorder.
    The quality even with these crappy cards was damn good compared to tape (limiting factor was
    lack of good mic's)
    Steve Robertson, Feb 6, 2004
    #10
  11. Hi there,

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>> Noise comes down to the codecs used and the qualiy of board design
    >>> and construction, the actual chip doing the PCI interface will have
    >>> nothing to do with quality unless its doing some dodgey resampling
    >>> like the creative live and audigy do.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> To the best of my knowledge the CMI8738 device integrates ALL the usual
    >> sound ADC, DAC, codec, wavetable, pci bus, and everything into one slab.

    >
    >
    > Hrrm, just had another look at it and yeah, there are no other chips _at
    > all_ on the card.
    >
    > I would just buy it and if it sucks take it back.. dse are good in that
    > respect.


    I'm tempted, but have you ever tried to configure a soundcard under
    Linux? It could take weeks to get it doing what I would like it to,
    only then to discover the recording sucks! :)

    >> In theory recording could suffer from noise pickup, since the DAC/ADC
    >> will not be buffered/filtered and shielded, but thats theory...I'm
    >> after peoples practical experience with the CMI8738 based cards.

    >
    > Never tested it, and I have desoldered all the fucking 3.5mm jacks they
    > inflict on you with sound cards and put shielded wire to the 6 required
    > RCAs for the 5.1 output..


    3.5's suck bigtime. Serious gear uses RCA's. Really serious gear (I
    really mean it!) uses 6.5mm phono's or other pro-muso weirdness...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
    #11
  12. Chris Wilkinson

    RecyclerMan Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    > suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
    > find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
    > recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
    > exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.
    >
    > Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
    > means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
    > recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.
    >
    > So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
    > not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!
    >

    I am using one of these cards xh7847 they have a good cleen analog
    input. To quallify that I have used SoundBlaster cards ISA
    (16,16pnp,AWE23 &64) the Live card was Bad with out the livedrive sound
    wise it is pretty cleen, noise floor is a little shabby at arround -40db
    recording this is the noise floor I record I do not know it that is A
    weighted or unweigheted (suspect the later) tone wise seems pretty
    nutral been recording my Lp's with this card with GOOD resaults. Its Big
    Minus it the senitivitivty it a little low you need a verry Loud signal
    to get it to maximum signal ie a 0db input reads arround -12db recoded I
    use a Sansui D-705 to boost the input to the computer (it's a Three Head
    Cassette Deck) other than that it is a good card I still like my AWE64
    for playback and or the yamaha chiped sound card as well. but for the
    money its pretty good.

    DO you want to here soem samples of what it can do?

    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
    RecyclerMan, Feb 6, 2004
    #12
  13. Chris Wilkinson

    RecyclerMan Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Noise comes down to the codecs used and the qualiy of board design
    >>>> and construction, the actual chip doing the PCI interface will have
    >>>> nothing to do with quality unless its doing some dodgey resampling
    >>>> like the creative live and audigy do.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> To the best of my knowledge the CMI8738 device integrates ALL the usual
    >>> sound ADC, DAC, codec, wavetable, pci bus, and everything into one slab.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Hrrm, just had another look at it and yeah, there are no other chips
    >> _at all_ on the card.
    >>
    >> I would just buy it and if it sucks take it back.. dse are good in
    >> that respect.

    >
    >
    > I'm tempted, but have you ever tried to configure a soundcard under
    > Linux? It could take weeks to get it doing what I would like it to,
    > only then to discover the recording sucks! :)
    >
    >>> In theory recording could suffer from noise pickup, since the DAC/ADC
    >>> will not be buffered/filtered and shielded, but thats theory...I'm
    >>> after peoples practical experience with the CMI8738 based cards.

    >>
    >>
    >> Never tested it, and I have desoldered all the fucking 3.5mm jacks
    >> they inflict on you with sound cards and put shielded wire to the 6
    >> required RCAs for the 5.1 output..

    >
    >
    > 3.5's suck bigtime. Serious gear uses RCA's. Really serious gear (I
    > really mean it!) uses 6.5mm phono's or other pro-muso weirdness...
    >

    The card works in Mandrake and red hat OK it is a little bitch to get
    going after install of os but if the card is in the machine during
    instal all is sweet.

    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
    RecyclerMan, Feb 6, 2004
    #13
  14. Chris Wilkinson

    RecyclerMan Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Steve Robertson wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Chris Wilkinson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    >>> suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I

    >>
    >>
    >> Unfortunately DSE should be the last place to go for PC parts pricewise
    >> http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_15.html#g37

    >
    >
    > Most other shops don't seem to cater for the 'middle'. They have
    > $30 cheapies, or Audigy2, or nothing...
    >
    > M-Audio make the perfect cards for me, but not for my budget. They
    > start at around $500...I'm not wanting to spend more than $100...
    >
    >> Perhaps you'll find a better card cheaper on trademe ( Audigy go quite
    >> cheaply sometimes) Even some quite old cards still sound pretty good
    >> (Diamond monster100/300)
    >> Or a Esonic/SB_PCI64:good digital(Better than SB Live) & dirt cheap,
    >> see below
    >> http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm
    >> Just a few alternatives maybee??
    >> You may want a card with toslink i/p: a good option.
    >> Im looking at buying a Minidisk recorder for this sort of thing.

    >
    >
    > My recordings will be mixed down to 16-bit 44kHz AIFF uncompressed
    > stereo for maximum CD-quality, then dumped digitally to CD-R...
    >
    >> When I tried PC Recording (years back) I had 3 SB16_AWE cards giving
    >> me a 6track recorder.
    >> The quality even with these crappy cards was damn good compared to
    >> tape (limiting factor was lack of good mic's)

    >
    >
    > My recording software (Audacity) will allow realtime 24 track playback
    > and mixdown with my AthlonXP 2500+. But the beautiful tone and clarity
    > of my 30+ year old Yamaha classical acoustic guitar, strung with decent
    > Martin strings, is completely wasted unless I can get a soundcard
    > that only records what the guitar plays, and not added annoying digital
    > scritch like my current soundcard does...
    >

    It doesent add scritch like you say well not to any great extent I have
    not heard anything to compalin about and this was using Stenhiser
    headphones.

    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
    RecyclerMan, Feb 6, 2004
    #14
  15. Hi there,

    RecyclerMan wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> My recording software (Audacity) will allow realtime 24 track playback
    >> and mixdown with my AthlonXP 2500+. But the beautiful tone and clarity
    >> of my 30+ year old Yamaha classical acoustic guitar, strung with decent
    >> Martin strings, is completely wasted unless I can get a soundcard
    >> that only records what the guitar plays, and not added annoying digital
    >> scritch like my current soundcard does...
    >>

    > It doesent add scritch like you say well not to any great extent I have
    > not heard anything to compalin about and this was using Stenhiser
    > headphones.


    Cheers. I can understand it will not record as cleanly as a $500 M-Audio
    or other pro-audio card, but as long as the sampling it does is clean
    and relatively noise free I'll be happy...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
    #15
  16. Hi there,

    RecyclerMan wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
    >> suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
    >> find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
    >> recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
    >> exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.
    >>
    >> Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
    >> means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
    >> recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.
    >>
    >> So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
    >> not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!
    >>

    > I am using one of these cards xh7847 they have a good cleen analog
    > input. To quallify that I have used SoundBlaster cards ISA
    > (16,16pnp,AWE23 &64) the Live card was Bad with out the livedrive sound
    > wise it is pretty cleen, noise floor is a little shabby at arround -40db
    > recording this is the noise floor I record I do not know it that is A
    > weighted or unweigheted (suspect the later) tone wise seems pretty
    > nutral been recording my Lp's with this card with GOOD resaults. Its Big
    > Minus it the senitivitivty it a little low you need a verry Loud signal
    > to get it to maximum signal ie a 0db input reads arround -12db recoded I
    > use a Sansui D-705 to boost the input to the computer (it's a Three Head
    > Cassette Deck) other than that it is a good card I still like my AWE64
    > for playback and or the yamaha chiped sound card as well. but for the
    > money its pretty good.
    >
    > DO you want to here soem samples of what it can do?


    That would be great dude!

    The best sample I could listen to would be a recording of silence.
    You could record 5 seconds of silence from the line-in, as a 16-bit,
    44 kHz stereo wave file. That would be a 1 meg file, but you could
    crunch that using winzip to a more emailable size...

    Why silence? Because recording music over top of noise often makes
    noise hard to hear, even though the noise will lower the clarity
    of the overall sound of the music. A recording of silence has no
    musical content to disguise the sound of extraneous noise, so it
    makes it much easier to discern if extraneous noise is being picked up
    and recorded/sampled by the soundcard. I will use software to zoom in
    on the sample to see what level of noise is recorded, as well as dumping
    the raw sample onto a CD-R to be played back and carefully listened to
    on my audiophile stereo system...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
    #16
  17. Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    > Serious gear uses RCA's.


    Ha ha ha!
    Stuart Richards, Feb 7, 2004
    #17
  18. Chris Wilkinson

    harry Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > RecyclerMan wrote:
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> My recording software (Audacity) will allow realtime 24 track
    >>> playback and mixdown with my AthlonXP 2500+. But the beautiful tone
    >>> and clarity of my 30+ year old Yamaha classical acoustic guitar,
    >>> strung with decent Martin strings, is completely wasted unless I
    >>> can get a soundcard
    >>> that only records what the guitar plays, and not added annoying
    >>> digital scritch like my current soundcard does...
    >>>

    >> It doesent add scritch like you say well not to any great extent I
    >> have not heard anything to compalin about and this was using
    >> Stenhiser headphones.

    >
    > Cheers. I can understand it will not record as cleanly as a $500
    > M-Audio or other pro-audio card, but as long as the sampling it does
    > is clean and relatively noise free I'll be happy...


    You are probably best to save your pennies for an external USB 2.0 mic
    preamp DA combo like a Mbox or the various MAudio mobile interfaces, cards
    are a pain in the bum, A gain knob and some metering and accessible
    connectors is such an advantage.
    A USB box makes any current PC or laptop into a useful two track or four
    track recorder.
    And they come with nice software bundles.
    harry, Feb 7, 2004
    #18
  19. Hi there,

    harry wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>RecyclerMan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>My recording software (Audacity) will allow realtime 24 track
    >>>>playback and mixdown with my AthlonXP 2500+. But the beautiful tone
    >>>>and clarity of my 30+ year old Yamaha classical acoustic guitar,
    >>>>strung with decent Martin strings, is completely wasted unless I
    >>>>can get a soundcard
    >>>>that only records what the guitar plays, and not added annoying
    >>>>digital scritch like my current soundcard does...
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>It doesent add scritch like you say well not to any great extent I
    >>>have not heard anything to compalin about and this was using
    >>>Stenhiser headphones.

    >>
    >>Cheers. I can understand it will not record as cleanly as a $500
    >>M-Audio or other pro-audio card, but as long as the sampling it does
    >>is clean and relatively noise free I'll be happy...

    >
    > You are probably best to save your pennies for an external USB 2.0 mic
    > preamp DA combo like a Mbox or the various MAudio mobile interfaces, cards
    > are a pain in the bum, A gain knob and some metering and accessible
    > connectors is such an advantage.


    Cards are a pain in the bum as you say, but I'm prepared to put up with
    the annoyance factor in order to reduce the cost factor. An Mbox costs
    more than my entire AthlonXP 2500+ CPU box!

    > And they come with nice software bundles.


    Yes, but not for Linux...like the Audigy2 cards I would be paying for
    stuff I cannot use.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 7, 2004
    #19
  20. Hi there,

    Stuart Richards wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>Serious gear uses RCA's.

    >
    > Ha ha ha!


    Yeah, I thought it were funny too, but in what context do you
    find it so?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 8, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Malone
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    909
    Malone
    Jan 29, 2004
  2. samg
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    366
    Cheetah
    Sep 11, 2004
  3. Tony
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    793
  4. Tony
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    658
  5. Nighthawk

    Anyone tried an M-Audio 2496 soundcard?

    Nighthawk, Mar 27, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    728
    geoff
    Mar 31, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page