  1. Just downloaded Prevx and wondering the groups thoughts and a means to test the
    functionality would be good. Any input from you guys.
    https://www.prevx.com/
    Use.Netuser.de, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Use.Netuser.de

    Vanguardx Guest

    "Use.Netuser.de" <>
    wrote in news::
    > Just downloaded Prevx and wondering the groups thoughts and a means
    > to test the functionality would be good. Any input from you guys.
    > https://www.prevx.com/

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=prevx

    Do they have a valid reason for demanding an SSL connection to their web
    site? https:// is their secured site. http://www.prevx.com uses
    meta-refresh to push you over to their https:// site. They really need
    to encrypt the communication with the potential consumer?

    Vanguardx, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Use.Netuser.de

    Vanguardx Guest

    "Vanguardx" <see_signature>
    wrote in news::
    > "Use.Netuser.de" <>
    > wrote in news::
    >> Just downloaded Prevx and wondering the groups thoughts and a means
    >> to test the functionality would be good. Any input from you guys.
    >> https://www.prevx.com/

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=prevx
    >
    > Do they have a valid reason for demanding an SSL connection to their
    > web site? https:// is their secured site. http://www.prevx.com uses
    > meta-refresh to push you over to their https:// site. They really
    > need to encrypt the communication with the potential consumer?

    Also, unless Prevx usurps the bootstrap code in the MBR (which means it
    loads AFTER the operating system loads), how would it protect against
    root kits (which would also mean that Prevx installs from bootable media
    to avoid the root kit from re-usurping the MBR)?

    From their web page at
    https://www.prevx.com/prevxenterprise/technology/technology.htm:

    "At PREVX, our research team are continually enhancing the breadth of
    our intrusion prevention capabilities and creating new attack vector
    prevention modules. With a modular framework for Host IPS at its core,
    Prevx Enterprise is designed to allow the rapid deployment of additional
    security modules as and when new attack methods emerge from the Hacker
    underground."

    So how do they block a zero-day attack for which they haven't yet
    developed a prevention module? They don't, so they are in the same boat
    as anti-virus software.

    Vanguardx, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Use.Netuser.de

    Anonymous Guest

    > So how do they block a zero-day attack for which they haven't yet
    > developed a prevention module? They don't, so they are in the same boat
    > as anti-virus software.

    The protection modules are produced for known exploits, but PrevX does not
    totally rely on these modules.
    PrevX also has a sandbox style feature which monitors file, registry and
    memory access which enables it to detect and prevent most other unknown zero
    day exploits and Buffer overflow vulnerabilities.
    Anonymous, Sep 16, 2004
  5. "Anonymous" <> wrote ...

    > > So how do they block a zero-day attack for which they haven't yet
    > > developed a prevention module? They don't, so they are in the same boat
    > > as anti-virus software.

    > The protection modules are produced for known exploits, but PrevX does not
    > totally rely on these modules.
    > PrevX also has a sandbox style feature which monitors file, registry and
    > memory access which enables it to detect and prevent most other unknown zero
    > day exploits and Buffer overflow vulnerabilities.

    Good answer thanks. Been trying it out and seems to work in terms of running local
    processes ... Now I need to click "allow" much more often than usual. I guess time
    will tell. Thanks All
    Use.Netuser.de, Sep 17, 2004