    We can keep your name out if you prefer.

    Cheers,
    Reuben
    Reuben Schwarz, May 22, 2006

  2. Reuben Schwarz

    Vista Guest

    "Reuben Schwarz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm a reporter with the Dominion Post in Wellington looking for Kiwis
    > who've been hit by online bank fraud, or other online scams like
    > through Trade Me.
    >
    > It happens fairly regularly in the country but the banks obviously
    > aren't that helpful in tracking down the victims.
    >
    > If you'd like to share your story, please contact me at
    >

    > We can keep your name out if you prefer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Reuben

    I think most people in this newsgroup are pretty clued up, and wouldn't fall
    victim to that kind of thing.
    Vista, May 22, 2006

  3. Reuben Schwarz

    Daniel Guest

    Reuben Schwarz wrote:
    > I'm a reporter with the Dominion Post in Wellington looking for Kiwis
    > who've been hit by online bank fraud, or other online scams like
    > through Trade Me.
    >
    > It happens fairly regularly in the country but the banks obviously
    > aren't that helpful in tracking down the victims.
    >
    > If you'd like to share your story, please contact me at
    >

    > We can keep your name out if you prefer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Reuben

    Reuben, I would've thought finding TradeMe victims wouldn't be that hard
    actually.

    Off the top of my head:-
    1. Go to the TradeMe Community Message Board - you'll find a few
    candidates there (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/Default.aspx).
    2. Go to the auctions yourself, and have look at people's feedback -
    look for the negatives, and then follow the links. It's not that hard to
    get in contact with other TradeMe members (even though TradeMe don't
    allow emails between members unless they've been involved in a completed
    auction, unlike eBay). Just do some creative detective work :)
    Daniel, May 22, 2006
  4. Reuben Schwarz

    Guest

    , May 22, 2006
  5. Thanks for the ideas guys.

    reuben
    Reuben Schwarz, May 22, 2006
  6. Reuben Schwarz

    Matty F Guest

    Reuben Schwarz wrote:
    > I'm a reporter with the Dominion Post in Wellington looking for Kiwis
    > who've been hit by online bank fraud, or other online scams like
    > through Trade Me.

    I have 22 phishing emails pretending to be from various banks,
    such as this:

    Subject:IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION FROM BARCLAYS IBANK

    When anyone clicks anywhere in the email, it goes to an IP
    address that should be taken offline immediately by the banks.
    That is easily done by anybody sending 100 million port probes to
    that IP address. This is a DOS attack, which is usually a bad
    thing, but against phishers I think it's OK:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial_of_service

    Sadly, nobody seems to be clever enough or interested enough to
    do that and stop the problem dead in the first few minutes. No,
    it seems that the banks would rather just pay out thousands of
    dollars to their customers who fell into the trap.

    We could notify these people, but that takes too long:
    http://www.antiphishing.org/

    NZ ISPs could get together and block the offending IP address.
    But it needs to be done very quickly, in minutes.

    This is a phishing IP address from 3 weeks ago. It's in Turkey.

    81.214.191.154

    netname: TurkTelekom
    notify:
    address: Bilisim Aglari Dairesi
    address: Aydinlikevler
    address: 06103 ANKARA
    phone: +90 312 313 1950
    fax-no: +90 312 313 1949
    e-mail:
    Matty F, May 23, 2006
  7. Reuben Schwarz

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Reuben Schwarz wrote:
    > I'm a reporter with the Dominion Post in Wellington looking for Kiwis
    > who've been hit by online bank fraud, or other online scams like
    > through Trade Me.
    >
    > It happens fairly regularly in the country but the banks obviously
    > aren't that helpful in tracking down the victims.
    >
    > If you'd like to share your story, please contact me at
    >

    > We can keep your name out if you prefer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Reuben

    My flatmate got scammed by a guy on eBay, I can put you in touch with him if
    you like. I'm using a valid email address so drop me a line.
    Nik Coughlin, May 23, 2006