    preferred their DVD's with the cheap price right from the get-go.
    Is there one single person reading this who think Rental Pricing is the way
    to go for DVD's?

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Biz Guest

    Dont the rental companies potentially make better profits for business by
    the lower non-rental pricing? Since they dont have to buy a 100 copies per
    store for a popular title on relases day, but still get their couple dollars
    or so per rental? Alot of people still rent the majoirty of their titles
    like I do I would assume. I only buy certain marquee titles like Star Wars,
    or Lord of the Rings, or other personal favorites...Except for the rampant
    p2p downloading, which will only stop when people get some morals, the model
    seems to work really well for the rest of us.....

    "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    > Back in the day, when this Newsgroup was still fairly new and Norm Wilner
    > was the "DVD Guru", there were some people who "stood up" and argued that
    > DVD's need Rental Pricing, that is, the policy that a movie released on a
    > format, should be priced very high for the first few months (around
    > $60-$70.00) so that the "video rental stores" could make their bucks; if

    you
    > wanted to have the DVD right away, fine, but you would pay the high

    premium,

    Biz, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Alpha Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > Dont the rental companies potentially make better profits for business by
    > the lower non-rental pricing? Since they dont have to buy a 100 copies
    > per
    > store for a popular title on relases day, but still get their couple
    > dollars
    > or so per rental? Alot of people still rent the majoirty of their titles
    > like I do I would assume. I only buy certain marquee titles like Star
    > Wars,
    > or Lord of the Rings, or other personal favorites...Except for the rampant
    > p2p downloading, which will only stop when people get some morals, the
    > model
    > seems to work really well for the rest of us.....

    Not only that, the rental company can sell previously viewed rentals for
    probably about 65% of what they bought them for.

    Alpha, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Goro Guest

    Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    > Back in the day, when this Newsgroup was still fairly new and Norm Wilner
    > was the "DVD Guru", there were some people who "stood up" and argued that
    > DVD's need Rental Pricing, that is, the policy that a movie released on a
    > format, should be priced very high for the first few months (around
    > $60-$70.00) so that the "video rental stores" could make their bucks; if you
    > wanted to have the DVD right away, fine, but you would pay the high premium,
    > wheras if you waited a few months, it'd be $20-$25.00 or so.
    > I argued then that it was a bad idea, and that most DVD afficianados
    > preferred their DVD's with the cheap price right from the get-go.
    > Is there one single person reading this who think Rental Pricing is the way
    > to go for DVD's?

    It would prolly help the THEATRE business as well (if only
    incrementally). Of course, a rental window would probably hurt the
    initial sales of a DVD; at least, that's what I'd expect.

    An interesting thing that COULD occur: Studios could shift the SD-DVDs
    into a rental only market and then use the HD version (HD-DVD or
    BluRay) as the sell-thru media.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Rental pricing has been dead for years, I don't think it will ever come
    back.

    DVDs inherited the 'cheap pricing' structure from Laserdiscs, which
    weren't 'rental priced'. The studios
    found out that they could make tons of money on DVD sales, so there's
    no turning back.

    Even rental stores left the Rental Pricing structure. Instead of paying
    $100 a movie, the share profits and
    get the media for a nominal price. What little market is left isn't
    going to want to mess with that. Plus shipping
    $100 discs back and forth would put a crimp in Netflix and BBOnline so
    don't expect them to go for that either.

    Rental pricing sucked from a consumer standpoint. Back in the day if
    you wanted to see Ghostbusters, you
    had to goto your local rental chain or pony up $100 (in 1980s money).
    Now you can still go to your local rental
    chain and rent it, or you can go buy it for about $10. Sounds much
    better to me.

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com), Jan 11, 2006
  6. In article <wP0xf.3898$>, Joseph S. Powell, III
    <> wrote:

    >Back in the day, when this Newsgroup was still fairly new and
    >Norm Wilner was the "DVD Guru", there were some people who "stood
    >up" and argued that DVD's need Rental Pricing, that is, the
    >policy that a movie released on a format, should be priced very
    >high for the first few months (around $60-$70.00) so that the
    >"video rental stores" could make their bucks; if you wanted
    >to have the DVD right away, fine, but you would pay the high
    >premium, wheras if you waited a few months, it'd be $20-$25.00 or
    >so.

    The owners of the films released to DVD found they could make much
    much much more money by releasing DVDs direct to the end use at low
    affordable prices.

    Their only reason to exist it to make money - and selling high to
    rentals and lower months later didn't bring that much money. They
    found that out when they started pricing a vew VHS at low prices.

    The studios have no reason to help the video rental stores, which
    only existed because of the draconian policies first put in place
    by the studios because they never understtood any concept other
    than they owned the films and put them out to theatres to rent.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Jan 12, 2006