    these CPUs with x64 yet?

    Ta,
    Jon
    Jon Grieve, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Check out the review with XP Professional x64:
    http://www.systemsmanagementpipeline.com/163702553
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 18, 2005

  3. Jon Grieve

    Jon Grieve Guest

    Thanks Andre,

    Any thoughst on whether you think I'll have to re-install XP with the
    new CPU, or will it just spring into multi-proc. mode?

    Ta,
    Jon

    Jon Grieve, Jul 18, 2005
  4. No, it should support it out of the box without doing any additional
    configuration in XP Pro x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 18, 2005
  5. Jon Grieve

    M. Murcek Guest

    I think Andre's right. It should be just a hardware enumeration issue at
    boot time. You don't have to re-install when you add more RAM or another
    optical drive or HDD. Should be the same with the second core.

    M. Murcek, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Yes. I am running on AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+. The only difference is that I
    am using the Toledo core with 2x 1MB L2 caches. You will be using 2x 512KB
    L2 caches. You will love the responsiveness. x64 loves this chip. It
    craves it! :) Enjoy!

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 18, 2005
  7. Be sure to update the BIOS on your mobo to a version that supports dual
    core. Also, be sure to download the AMD cpu driver for your 4200+ and
    install it. Until then, x64 will run, but it will not access the second
    core.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 18, 2005
  8. Windows, XP Pro and x64, only saw one processor until I installed the
    duel-core driver on an upgrade from AMD 4000+ to 4800+.

    Bill

    Wm D. Christensen, Jul 18, 2005
  9. I guess there is more to it than I had originally thought.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 19, 2005
  10. Jon Grieve

    Jon Grieve Guest

    I think my paranoia stems from NT4 days -- I'm pretty sure you couldn't
    just switch from single- to dual-CPU with a reboot back in those days; I
    think NT4 ran a different kernel.

    Jon

    Jon Grieve, Jul 19, 2005
  11. Jon Grieve

    Jon Grieve Guest

    I have the BIOS update. Good call on the AMD driver -- that could have
    thrown me!!

    Jon

    Jon Grieve, Jul 19, 2005
  12. Jon Grieve

    Jon Grieve Guest

    Well, X2 went in last night without a hitch. As described below, XP
    (both 32- and 64-bit) detected new hardware, and I then installed the
    updated driver from AMD.

    I've not pushed the system yet, but I did run a quick Benchmark
    (PCMark2002) which showed a rather poor performance increase. I think I
    need to investigate some tweaks and driver & BIOS updates.

    Jon

    Jon Grieve, Jul 20, 2005
  13. It will depend on the software you have. A lot of packages, such as CAD,
    are not multi-core aware (much less hyperthreading aware). Over time you
    will more than get the bang for the buck. Remember you are a very early
    adopter. Ain't it wunerful?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2005
  14. I think the latest version of Adobe Creative Suite (CS2) will take advantage
    of the dual core technologies in your AMD X2, processors. Boy, these
    processors from AMD lately have me itching for a upgrade.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 20, 2005
  15. It's an itch that will take a lot of scratch. But since you have been
    lusting for an Itanium, an AMD x2 will seem cheap by comparison. My
    processor cost me $600 more or less. I hear the 4400+ copies are outselling
    the supply right now. Considering the price, I'm impressed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2005