    family.

    TIA,

    -Ramon F Herrera
    Ramon F Herrera, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Ramon F Herrera

    Go OSU Pokes Guest

    I tried setting up Asterisk with a Dialogic card . It was a D/41D, and I
    spent three days messing with it, hoping that if it worked I could move up
    to a D/42D-SL. Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.

    Go OSU Pokes, Sep 12, 2005

  3. > Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.

    Somebody in this NG gave me this URL, which should be always kept
    around:

    http://www.asterisk.org/hardware

    Apparently, the non-JCT Dialogic cards are half duplex only, and
    therefore incompatible with Asterisk. But I would like to hear that
    from someone who really knows what he's talking about.

    Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for
    Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.

    Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards,
    the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary
    is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market,
    simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

    -Ramon
    Ramon F Herrera, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Ramon F Herrera

    Ian Guest

    > > Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.

    > Somebody in this NG gave me this URL, which should be always kept
    > around:
    >
    > http://www.asterisk.org/hardware
    >
    > Apparently, the non-JCT Dialogic cards are half duplex only, and
    > therefore incompatible with Asterisk. But I would like to hear that
    > from someone who really knows what he's talking about.
    >
    > Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for
    > Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.
    >
    > Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards,
    > the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary
    > is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market,
    > simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

    Well, Thats what Intel does though, Aculab will be releasing an Asterisk
    board soon and im sure others soon will.
    Remeber the boards from digium are based on the Zapata project, Clone
    TDM400s are avalible from China I believe

    Ian

    Ian
    Ian, Sep 13, 2005
  5. Ramon F Herrera

    Jack Masters Guest

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for
    > Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.

    Don't think it is a per-channel (at least in my local catalog SR6 has a
    fixed priced that translates in a few hundred dollars), but the drivers
    are certainly not free. See
    http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/telecom/software/index.htm#sr

    and look at the 'Intel Policy' small-print.

    > Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards,
    > the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary
    > is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market,
    > simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

    That is what red tape does to a smaller company :)

    Jack Masters, Sep 13, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    Ian <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Ramon F Herrera" <> wrote in message
    >> > Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.

    >> Somebody in this NG gave me this URL, which should be always kept
    >> around:
    >>
    >> http://www.asterisk.org/hardware
    >>
    >> Apparently, the non-JCT Dialogic cards are half duplex only, and
    >> therefore incompatible with Asterisk. But I would like to hear that
    >> from someone who really knows what he's talking about.
    >>
    >> Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for
    >> Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.
    >>
    >> Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards,
    >> the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary
    >> is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market,
    >> simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

    It happened before. In the 1990s the Internet hammered all the other
    data networks that didn't see it coming. In the 1980s the peecees
    hammered the minicomputers.

    Even back a hundred years ago International Harvester clung to steam
    harvesters, and got hammered. Never trust a corporate monopoly to behave
    rationally.

    After nearly 30 years dealing with vendors like this I simply ignore
    the half-breeds and the hacks, and go for the solutions that are supported
    and work. Don't be afraid that they are small, upstart companies. If they
    really serve a business need they will become household names and the
    founders will sell off and buy themself something outragous, like a
    MIG, or a fleet of competition sailing yachts.

    I have been through it with Sun, Cisco and others.

    >Well, Thats what Intel does though, Aculab will be releasing an Asterisk
    >board soon and im sure others soon will.
    >Remeber the boards from digium are based on the Zapata project, Clone
    >TDM400s are avalible from China I believe

    Sangoma also produce some great boards, although they need two
    layers of drivers. They have their own, and a shim layer driver to
    support zapata. The upside of this is better interrupt handling.
    The downside is a complicated driver setup with some not-quite-open
    drivers for teh card.

    Cheap multiport ATA's are also arriving. Or, you could get yourself
    a traditional channel bank and hook it up to a T1/E1 port. Affordable,
    IP phones are also arriving in volume now.

    -- mrr
    Morten Reistad, Sep 26, 2005