    engineering final yesterday and haven't had a chance to follow the group.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
    > walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
    > labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
    > (again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's". I
    > thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
    > long do you people expect DVD's to last? My estimate is about 10 years
    > before the next media is popular enough to outsell the standard
    > DVD-Video format of today. I apologize if this was brought up recently,
    > closer to when the episode aired, but I just finished my last
    > engineering final yesterday and haven't had a chance to follow the group.
    >
    > Adios,
    > ~Nick

    Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it
    showed a lack of knowledge. Who would trash their LD collection? There
    are plenty of LDs that haven't gotten DVDs yet, or ones that aren't as
    good, such as the Frighteners 4-disc set.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Nicholas Andrade

    Justin Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT]:
    > Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it

    LASER should be all caps too, really.

    Light And Sound Emitting Ray

    Justin, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Nicholas Andrade

    Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it
    > showed a lack of knowledge. Who would trash their LD collection? There
    > are plenty of LDs that haven't gotten DVDs yet, or ones that aren't as
    > good, such as the Frighteners 4-disc set.

    Wow, you must be the life of parties with that sense of humor.
    --
    "Never before has the beauty of the sexual act been so crassly
    exploited!"

    Now playing: the radio

    Tarkus, Dec 11, 2003
  5. in article 2go.com, Justin at
    wrote on 12/10/03 6:16 PM:

    > Grand Inquisitor wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT]:
    >> Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it

    > LASER should be all caps too, really.
    >
    > Light And Sound Emitting Ray

    What's with this group and acronyms?

    LASER stands for:
    Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation

    While it was an acronym, it's become an accepted word in common usage, thus
    "laser" is appropriate.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Nicholas Andrade

    Zodiac Guest

    Zodiac, Dec 11, 2003
  7. >LASER should be all caps too, really.

    "Stop posting in caps. That's shouting in usenet". ;)

    Well, that's what some people get told when they use all capital acronymns in
    usenet.

    not meant towards you. It was an example.

    Waterperson77, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Nicholas Andrade

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <rfLBb.36661$>,
    Nicholas Andrade <> wrote:

    > In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
    > walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
    > labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
    > (again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's".

    *sigh* The third sign should have been labled VHS. No wonder they can
    only get one season of The Simpsons out a year. The shows producers must
    have some pathetic anti-DVD stance.

    > I thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
    > long do you people expect DVD's to last? My estimate is about 10 years
    > before the next media is popular enough to outsell the standard
    > DVD-Video format of today. I apologize if this was brought up recently,
    > closer to when the episode aired, but I just finished my last
    > engineering final yesterday and haven't had a chance to follow the group.

    I would say more like 15 to 20 years. Let me ask you something. How long
    did it take for a format to outsell VHS? Over 20 years according to my
    sources. How about the CD? It's been around for well over 10 years now
    and there has yet to be a format that can put a dent in it's
    dominance(only the mp3 has hurt it, if you can even call that a format).
    I can't help but feel all these "How long will DVD last?" posts are
    generated by bitter nitwits who are still VHSing it in the year 2003 and
    can't accept that their piece of crap archaic format has finally bit the
    dust thanks to DVD. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but just
    in general...

    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Nicholas Andrade

    Doonie Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:31:21 -0600, Black Locust wrote:

    >How about the CD? It's been around for well over 10 years now ..

    "10"? Ten years would only be 1993!

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Dec 11, 2003
  10. Nicholas Andrade

    Eric R. Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message

    > Who would trash their LD collection?

    I've thrown away quite a few myself. There are very few LD titles I
    have left which aren't already out on DVD in equal or improved form.
    And many of the ones I've replaced aren't worth the trouble of trying
    to sell. So I've tossed them.

    Maybe they should start some sort of charity for abandoned LD's.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Dec 11, 2003
  11. Nicholas Andrade

    Eric R. Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote in message

    > I would say more like 15 to 20 years.

    Only if you're counting HD-DVD in that.

    Personally, I'd give regular DVD another 5 years.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Dec 11, 2003
  12. Zodiac wrote:

    > Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation. !!!!

    Yes! Thank you! Light and sound emitting ray, tcha.... What sound?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 11, 2003
  13. Tarkus wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >

    >>Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it
    >>showed a lack of knowledge. Who would trash their LD collection? There
    >>are plenty of LDs that haven't gotten DVDs yet, or ones that aren't as
    >>good, such as the Frighteners 4-disc set.

    > Wow, you must be the life of parties with that sense of humor.

    I didn't make a joke, so how can you give an opinion about my sense of
    humor?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 11, 2003
  14. Nicholas Andrade

    buzzing Guest

    > Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it
    > showed a lack of knowledge. Who would trash their LD collection? There
    > are plenty of LDs that haven't gotten DVDs yet, or ones that aren't as
    > good, such as the Frighteners 4-disc set.

    You mean I should have held onto my orinigal Star Wars: The Definitive
    Collection Box Set because the original Star Wars will never be released on
    DVD. Lucas! The only LDs that I have thrown out of my collection are ones
    with really bad laser rot.

    buzzing, Dec 11, 2003
  15. Nicholas Andrade

    Justin Guest

    Black Locust wrote on [Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:31:21 -0600]:
    > I would say more like 15 to 20 years. Let me ask you something. How long
    > did it take for a format to outsell VHS? Over 20 years according to my
    > sources. How about the CD? It's been around for well over 10 years now

    20

    > and there has yet to be a format that can put a dent in it's
    > dominance(only the mp3 has hurt it, if you can even call that a format).

    MP3 hasn't really hurt CD sales. Crappy music has. MP3 helps sales

    Justin, Dec 11, 2003
  16. "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Black Locust wrote on [Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:31:21 -0600]:
    > > I would say more like 15 to 20 years. Let me ask you something. How long
    > > did it take for a format to outsell VHS? Over 20 years according to my
    > > sources. How about the CD? It's been around for well over 10 years now

    > 20
    >
    > > and there has yet to be a format that can put a dent in it's
    > > dominance(only the mp3 has hurt it, if you can even call that a format).

    > MP3 hasn't really hurt CD sales. Crappy music has. MP3 helps sales

    MP3 is just an audio compression format.

    MP3 *piracy* (i.e., ripping and uploading of copyrighted RIAA artist music)
    has measurably impacted CD sales, while crappy music has futher deterred CD
    purchases.

    MP3 doesn't help sales--if the CD is ripped to MP3 and uploaded, the MP3
    files can be downloaded, converted to WAV, and burned to a CD-R, thus no
    need to purchase the actual CD.

    Monetary harm is done to the artist and to the recording company--the
    recording company doesn't get the money for every downloaded CD, and so the
    artist loses royalties on every downloaded CD. The users who rip, upload,
    and download CD's are, at the minimum, serving as illegal distributors and
    recipients of copyrighted music. If the artist and recording company can put
    a measurable amount of currency on their losses, then illegal MP3 trading
    has hurt CD sales.

    Now, if a rare individual wants the cover art, liner notes, and other
    content that may be included in the CD booklet, they might buy the CD. Most
    of the time, though, the tired argument that MP3 helps sales is just a
    distraction in hopes that the RIAA will look the other way. Thankfully, they
    have gone to battle full force and they have an advantage (for example,
    Kazaa Lite K++ recently shut down)!

    And creating a MP3's and CD's of your *own* music, now that's perfectly
    legal, of course. You wrote it, you recorded it, and so you own the
    copyright.

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Dec 11, 2003
  17. Nicholas Andrade

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Nicholas Andrade <> wrote in message news:<rfLBb.36661$>...
    > In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
    > walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
    > labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
    > (again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's". I
    > thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
    > long do you people expect DVD's to last?

    When you consider that DVD is the most popular format since CDs came
    out but people are STILL buying crappy VHS tapes and players I'd say
    that we have a long, long time before anything supplants DVD.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Dec 11, 2003
  18. Nicholas Andrade

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Justin, says...
    > Light And Sound Emitting Ray

    Nope. Guess again.

    Mark Spatny, Dec 11, 2003
  19. Nicholas Andrade

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Doonie <> wrote:

    > "10"? Ten years would only be 1993!

    Uhh. I said WELL OVER 10 years now in responce to his predictions that
    DVD will die off in 10 years.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Dec 11, 2003
  20. Jordan Lund wrote:

    > Nicholas Andrade <> wrote in message news:<rfLBb.36661$>...
    >
    >>In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
    >>walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
    >>labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
    >>(again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's". I
    >>thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
    >>long do you people expect DVD's to last?

    > When you consider that DVD is the most popular format since CDs came
    > out but people are STILL buying crappy VHS tapes and players I'd say
    > that we have a long, long time before anything supplants DVD.
    >
    > - Jordan

    Perhaps dead would be too strong of a word. By dead I meant, virtually
    replaced by the masses. Basically when annual DVD sales surpassed VHS,
    it truely meant the decline of VHS is in full swing.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 12, 2003