    circular vignetting
    of the sensor area?
    -Rich

    Rich, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Rich

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Rich" <> writes:
    > The DSLR lenses designed for 1.5-1.6 sensors or the Olympus 2x lenses.
    > How much coverage do they really provide?

    They vary.

    > Also, it says you can't use them on FF DSLRs, owing to coverage, but
    > is that the only thing preventing them from being used, or could
    > they still function, albeit with a circular vignetting of the sensor
    > area?

    I saw a review of the Nikon 12-24mm which indicates that it covers the
    full 35mm frame when zoomed to above 16mm or so.

    http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_01.html#AFS12-24DX
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/AFS12-24DX_rev00.html

    Paul Rubin, Jan 21, 2006

  3. Rich

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote:

    >The DSLR lenses designed for 1.5-1.6 sensors or the Olympus 2x lenses.
    >How much coverage do they really provide? Also, it says you can't
    >use them on FF DSLRs, owing to coverage, but is that the only thing
    >preventing them from being used, or could they still function, albeit
    >with a circular vignetting of the sensor area?

    This will vary a lot from lens to lens. Telephotos are likely to fare
    better than wide angle lenses. (Canon 1D users will also want to know
    how well small-image-circle lenses cover the 1.3 crop.)

    I know people who have tested the Pentax DA 40/2.8 and found it to
    provide complete coverage over the full frame of film (it's probably
    just a refinement of the design of the original 40mm "pancake" lens).
    There was some light fall-off in the corners when wide open, but not
    more than many lenses that were designed for film.

    The Pentax DA 16-45 covers full-frame down to around 24mm IIRC, and
    vignettes progressively more as you approach 16mm.

    Again, you're going to find a lot of variation when you look at
    different lenses and different manufacturers so there isn't going to be
    a single answer other than "try it and see".

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Jan 21, 2006