    Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
    condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
    holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

    banjo, Feb 25, 2007

  2. banjo

    Rutger Guest

    " banjo" <_no> schreef in bericht
    news:mlkEh.25496$...
    > anyone knows if this is anygood?
    > i have been offered one for £135gbp
    >
    > Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
    > condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
    > holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

    Mirrors are never really sharp, never as sharp as a lens.
    Furthermore it's a quite slow lens, will only perform under very bright
    light.

    But why don't ask the seller to try the mirror for a couple of hours?
    Then you will know enough, i guess.

    For the money it could be a nice gadget.

    Rutger

    --
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager

    Rutger, Feb 25, 2007

  3. banjo

    Mike Russell Guest

    >" banjo" <_no> schreef in bericht
    >> anyone knows if this is anygood?
    >> i have been offered one for £135gbp
    >>
    >> Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
    >> condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
    >> holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

    Could be a fine lens for certain purposes - may get you otherwise impossible
    shots of wildlife in daylight for example. Mirrors are lightweight and
    compact compared a similar refractor. I'd be concerned whether it could be
    focused or not. Try using DOF preview with one of your longer current
    lenses, and see if you can focus down to f13.5. That lens will need to be
    manually focused even for infinity.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Feb 25, 2007
  4. In article <9emEh.506$>, Mike Russell
    <-MOVE> wrote:

    > Try using DOF preview with one of your longer current
    > lenses, and see if you can focus down to f13.5. That lens will need to be
    > manually focused even for infinity.

    Also remember that there's no stopping mirrors down to cover minor
    focusing errors.

    Years back, I had a Celestron 1000mm. Best results were with a Nikon F3
    body with a matte screen, and eyepiece magnifier, and a big Bogen
    crutch-leg tripod. The screens in current AF bodies will be brighter
    but harder to focus, IMHO.

    The number of days where it was both bright enough, and the air clear
    enough, for decent pictures were very few. These days I use a Tamron
    200-400 with much better results. If I need a closer view I use my
    Volkswagen accessory.

    In other words, the practical limitations far outweigh any optical
    quality issues. If you can afford the money for a toy, it'll keep you
    occupied a while; otherwise...nah.

    Scott Schuckert, Feb 25, 2007
  5. banjo

    M-M Guest

    In article <mlkEh.25496$>,
    " banjo" <_no> wrote:

    > Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto

    These lenses will turn the out-of-focus areas into little circles, or
    donuts. Can be distracting.

    --
    m-m

    M-M, Feb 25, 2007
  6. banjo

    Toby Guest

    " banjo" <_no> wrote in message
    > anyone knows if this is anygood?
    > i have been offered one for £135gbp
    >
    > Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
    > condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
    > holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

    This is awfully slow. Both the Nikon and the MTO Russian 1000 mirrors have a
    nominal f-stop of 11, which becomes effectively something around 13-14 when
    you factor in transmission losses. Your lens would probably in reality be in
    the neighborhood of f16. You'd better think about what you could shoot with
    that. I have an 1000/11 MTO that I bought for next to nothing ($200), and
    have found that it is not very useful in reality. The lens is big and heavy,
    and you need a good tripod (big and heavy) to use it in anything but the
    brightest sunlight at a relativley high ISO. It is a pain to lug around, and
    I'll bet that you won't unless you have specific shots that require such a
    long focal length.

    But to answer your question, I don't know this lens specifically. I am
    guessing that it is an older lens, and while there are quite a few good
    newer Sigmas a lot of the older ones are terrible, if not worse. This lens
    date from the 1980s, so caveat emptor...

    Toby

    Toby, Feb 26, 2007
  7. banjo

    banjo Guest

    "Toby" <> wrote in message

    > " banjo" <_no> wrote in message
    >> anyone knows if this is anygood?
    >> i have been offered one for £135gbp
    >>
    >> Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
    >> condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
    >> holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

    > This is awfully slow. Both the Nikon and the MTO Russian 1000 mirrors have
    > a nominal f-stop of 11, which becomes effectively something around 13-14
    > when you factor in transmission losses. Your lens would probably in
    > reality be in the neighborhood of f16. You'd better think about what you
    > could shoot with that. I have an 1000/11 MTO that I bought for next to
    > nothing ($200), and have found that it is not very useful in reality. The
    > lens is big and heavy, and you need a good tripod (big and heavy) to use
    > it in anything but the brightest sunlight at a relativley high ISO. It is
    > a pain to lug around, and I'll bet that you won't unless you have specific
    > shots that require such a long focal length.
    >
    > But to answer your question, I don't know this lens specifically. I am
    > guessing that it is an older lens, and while there are quite a few good
    > newer Sigmas a lot of the older ones are terrible, if not worse. This lens
    > date from the 1980s, so caveat emptor...
    >
    > Toby

    thank you for that toby.
    after reading what others have said, i have decided to give this lens a
    miss.

    banjo, Feb 26, 2007
  8. " banjo" <_no> wrote in message news:KzwEh.14501$...

    > after reading what others have said, i have decided to give this lens a miss.

    A surprisingly good smallish/lightish long lens is the older-version
    Nikkor 500mm f8 combined with the TC14 or TC14B (you need
    to remove the rear filter on the mirror to mount the converter).
    F11 (slower in practice) 700mm (1050mm equivalent on digital),
    but good enough for some purposes and easy to carry.
    --
    David Ruether

    www.donferrario.com/ruether/
    (note the address change)