anyone knows about the ricoh caplio gx?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Henley, May 20, 2004.

  1. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    Mike Henley, May 20, 2004

  2. Mike Henley

    Prognathous Guest

    The Caplio G3 is already the best camera at its price point, but it
    does have some annoying limitations. With the new GX, Ricoh solved
    them all:

    * 28mm wide angle instead of 35mm
    * 5 MP instead of 3 MP
    * Manual and Aperture Priority
    * Rugged metal body
    * Large, high resolution LCD (1.8"/130,000 pixels instead of
    1.5"/80,000)
    * Live histogram
    * Hotshoe
    * TIFF (the G3 only supported this format in Text mode)
    * Dedicated manual White-Balance button

    The quick responsivnes of the G3/G4/RX remains, making the Caplios and
    the new GX very unique among the slew of laggy digicams. The fixed LCD
    is the only missing feature that prevents it from being a
    5060/G5/5700-killer.

    I had a G3 for a while and liked it a lot (see
    http://snipurl.com/caplio_g3). The GX looks very tempting indeed, too
    bad I got a nice-but-sluggish 5060 last month...

    Prog.

    Prognathous, May 20, 2004

  3. Mike Henley

    Prognathous Guest

    Prognathous, May 24, 2004
  4. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    Mike Henley, May 24, 2004
  5. Mike Henley

    Prognathous Guest

    The GX is not going to become a G5-killer, for two reasons:

    1. Ricoh doesn't have the reputation that Canon enjoys in the field of
    digital cameras.
    2. The camera doesn't have a flip-out & twist LCD screen.

    Personally, I would pick the GX any day over the G5. The 28mm lens,
    the shorter shutter lag and the compact dimensions simply make for a
    more attractive camera, especially for a carry-anywhere one. The
    Olympus C5060 is a nice compromise between the two, albeit at a higher
    price.

    Prog.

    Prognathous, May 25, 2004