Anyone know wireless networks?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Night_Seer, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its been used
    only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I am having
    trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the ssid broadcast
    through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and tried to input the
    information manually into the laptop, but it would not recognize the
    network. I also have WEP enabled, and input the key properly on the laptop.
    The only way I could get it to work was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works
    ok now. Problem is, There are a couple other wireless networks in our area
    as I have noticed, and for some reason, our network disconnects every now
    and then, and then it tries to connect to one of the others. I would like
    the laptop to just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to be a
    way to do this. Could this just be interference or something? We have
    NEVER had a problem with our wireless print server and it is constantly
    connected and printing, with no interference, but this laptop will just not
    work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if it is necessary, but I thought
    I'd check with you guys first, thanks.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Night_Seer

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
    > been used
    > only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I am
    > having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the ssid
    > broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and tried to
    > input the information manually into the laptop, but it would not
    > recognize the network. I also have WEP enabled, and input the key
    > properly on the laptop. The only way I could get it to work was if I
    > broadcast the SSID, so it works ok now. Problem is, There are a
    > couple other wireless networks in our area as I have noticed, and for
    > some reason, our network disconnects every now and then, and then it
    > tries to connect to one of the others. I would like the laptop to
    > just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to be a way to
    > do this. Could this just be interference or something? We have NEVER
    > had a problem with our wireless print server and it is constantly
    > connected and printing, with no interference, but this laptop will
    > just not work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if it is
    > necessary, but I thought I'd check with you guys first, thanks.

    You have other channels you can try that are not used by the other
    wireless devices in the area. What's the brand name of the wireless
    devices?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
    >> been used
    >> only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I am
    >> having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the
    >> ssid broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and
    >> tried to input the information manually into the laptop, but it
    >> would not recognize the network. I also have WEP enabled, and input
    >> the key properly on the laptop. The only way I could get it to work
    >> was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works ok now. Problem is, There
    >> are a couple other wireless networks in our area as I have noticed,
    >> and for some reason, our network disconnects every now and then, and
    >> then it tries to connect to one of the others. I would like the
    >> laptop to just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to
    >> be a way to do this. Could this just be interference or something?
    >> We have NEVER had a problem with our wireless print server and it is
    >> constantly connected and printing, with no interference, but this
    >> laptop will just not work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if
    >> it is necessary, but I thought I'd check with you guys first, thanks.
    >>

    > You have other channels you can try that are not used by the other
    > wireless devices in the area. What's the brand name of the wireless
    > devices?
    >
    > Duane :)

    The access point is a Link sys, and it is set up on a specific channel,
    but I could not find where to et it for the laptop...doe sit automatically
    find the right channel? I am afraid to change too many things because it
    might mess up a perfectly working print server. The laptop has a toshiba
    wireless lan mini pci card, on a brand new toshiba laptop. I am seriously
    thinking about the channels bit, but i'll have to change ot on the print
    server too, but I need to know how to change it on the laptop.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Night_Seer

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
    >>> been used
    >>> only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I
    >>> am having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the
    >>> ssid broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and
    >>> tried to input the information manually into the laptop, but it
    >>> would not recognize the network. I also have WEP enabled, and input
    >>> the key properly on the laptop. The only way I could get it to work
    >>> was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works ok now. Problem is, There
    >>> are a couple other wireless networks in our area as I have noticed,
    >>> and for some reason, our network disconnects every now and then, and
    >>> then it tries to connect to one of the others. I would like the
    >>> laptop to just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to
    >>> be a way to do this. Could this just be interference or something?
    >>> We have NEVER had a problem with our wireless print server and it is
    >>> constantly connected and printing, with no interference, but this
    >>> laptop will just not work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if
    >>> it is necessary, but I thought I'd check with you guys first,
    >>> thanks.
    >>>

    >> You have other channels you can try that are not used by the other
    >> wireless devices in the area. What's the brand name of the wireless
    >> devices?
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > The access point is a Link sys, and it is set up on a specific
    > channel,
    > but I could not find where to et it for the laptop...doe sit
    > automatically find the right channel? I am afraid to change too many
    > things because it might mess up a perfectly working print server. The
    > laptop has a toshiba wireless lan mini pci card, on a brand new
    > toshiba laptop. I am seriously thinking about the channels bit, but
    > i'll have to change ot on the print server too, but I need to know how
    > to change it on the laptop.

    All the wireless stuff including the card should have a driver program
    that allows the channels to be changed, if the driver for the card was
    installed. I don't see how changing the channel on the two devices is
    going adversely affect them. You can always change them back.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Night_Seer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote in

    > All the wireless stuff including the card should have a driver program
    > that allows the channels to be changed, if the driver for the card was
    > installed. I don't see how changing the channel on the two devices is
    > going adversely affect them. You can always change them back.

    As far as I know, the card's software is the only way to set up a wireless
    network like you want. I've never been able to get Windows XP on my laptop
    to find my wireless access point since it doesn't run on the default
    channel of 6, and doesn't broadcast the SSID. Windows XP is great for the
    "plug everything in and turn it all on" approach, but for everything else
    the card's software is a must.

    Untick the box to let Windows configure the network, install/run the card's
    own software and set the network up that way. You should be able to tell
    it to connect /only/ to the network you have set up, and not to connect to
    anything it finds.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote in
    >

    >>All the wireless stuff including the card should have a driver program
    >>that allows the channels to be changed, if the driver for the card was
    >>installed. I don't see how changing the channel on the two devices is
    >>going adversely affect them. You can always change them back.

    > As far as I know, the card's software is the only way to set up a wireless
    > network like you want. I've never been able to get Windows XP on my laptop
    > to find my wireless access point since it doesn't run on the default
    > channel of 6, and doesn't broadcast the SSID. Windows XP is great for the
    > "plug everything in and turn it all on" approach, but for everything else
    > the card's software is a must.
    >
    > Untick the box to let Windows configure the network, install/run the card's
    > own software and set the network up that way. You should be able to tell
    > it to connect /only/ to the network you have set up, and not to connect to
    > anything it finds.

    The cards software seems to be just as bad and not at all helpful. I
    will look through it so maybe I can figure it out, thanks for the help.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Night_Seer

    dennis Guest

    Hi Night_Seer...
    I realize this ng is great for bouncing ideas and I do learn alot from
    reading the posts. But have you called linksys support yet? I have found
    them to be very professional and helpful. Also usually have been able to
    talk to a support person within a couple of minutes. I think on a saturday
    once I had to wait 30 minutes... but called them 3 or 4 times for some
    problem installations and had my problem fixed within several minutes.

    oh btw... fwiw, I keep my wireless networks all one vendor (linksys) so to
    avoid finger pointing.

    let us know what you find to resolve your issue.

    Dennis Meissner

    dennis, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    dennis wrote:
    > Hi Night_Seer...
    > I realize this ng is great for bouncing ideas and I do learn alot from
    > reading the posts. But have you called linksys support yet? I have
    > found them to be very professional and helpful. Also usually have
    > been able to talk to a support person within a couple of minutes. I
    > think on a saturday once I had to wait 30 minutes... but called them
    > 3 or 4 times for some problem installations and had my problem fixed
    > within several minutes.
    >
    > oh btw... fwiw, I keep my wireless networks all one vendor (linksys)
    > so to avoid finger pointing.
    >
    > let us know what you find to resolve your issue.
    >
    > Dennis Meissner
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
    >> been used only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a
    >> laptop, and I am having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I
    >> did not want the ssid broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it
    >> turned off, and tried to input the information manually into the
    >> laptop, but it would not recognize the network. I also have WEP
    >> enabled, and input the key properly on the laptop. The only way I
    >> could get it to work was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works ok
    >> now. Problem is, There are a couple other wireless networks in our
    >> area as I have noticed, and for some reason, our network disconnects
    >> every now and then, and then it tries to connect to one of the
    >> others. I would like the laptop to just ignore the other networks,
    >> but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Could this just be
    >> interference or something? We have NEVER had a problem with our
    >> wireless print server and it is constantly connected and printing,
    >> with no interference, but this laptop will just not work properly.
    >> I'll go to a networking NG if it is necessary, but I thought I'd
    >> check with you guys first, thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer

    That's a great idea which I might get down to, but I think the problem
    is with the toshiba laptop, as the linksys access point and print server
    communicate perfectly, and have never given me problems. THanks.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Night_Seer

    dennis Guest

    Hi Night_Seer,

    The last problem I had was with a Sony Vaio laptop. The problem was a
    configuration problem with the laptop itself with existing network adapters
    (intel pro100 and IEEE 1394 were setup for bridging I believe). The linksys
    support guy walked me through it. fwiw...

    Dennis

    dennis, Oct 23, 2003
  10. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    dennis wrote:
    > Hi Night_Seer,
    >
    > The last problem I had was with a Sony Vaio laptop. The problem was a
    > configuration problem with the laptop itself with existing network
    > adapters (intel pro100 and IEEE 1394 were setup for bridging I
    > believe). The linksys support guy walked me through it. fwiw...
    >
    > Dennis
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> dennis wrote:
    >>> Hi Night_Seer...
    >>> I realize this ng is great for bouncing ideas and I do learn alot
    >>> from reading the posts. But have you called linksys support yet?
    >>> I have found them to be very professional and helpful. Also
    >>> usually have been able to talk to a support person within a couple
    >>> of minutes. I think on a saturday once I had to wait 30 minutes...
    >>> but called them 3 or 4 times for some problem installations and
    >>> had my problem fixed within several minutes.
    >>>
    >>> oh btw... fwiw, I keep my wireless networks all one vendor (linksys)
    >>> so to avoid finger pointing.
    >>>
    >>> let us know what you find to resolve your issue.
    >>>
    >>> Dennis Meissner
    >>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >> That's a great idea which I might get down to, but I think the
    >> problem is with the toshiba laptop, as the linksys access point and
    >> print server communicate perfectly, and have never given me
    >> problems. THanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer

    ok thanks..i'll give them a try.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  11. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    Night_Seer wrote:
    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    >
    >> Duane Arnold <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> All the wireless stuff including the card should have a driver
    >>> program that allows the channels to be changed, if the driver for
    >>> the card was installed. I don't see how changing the channel on the
    >>> two devices is going adversely affect them. You can always change
    >>> them back.

    >> As far as I know, the card's software is the only way to set up a
    >> wireless network like you want. I've never been able to get Windows
    >> XP on my laptop to find my wireless access point since it doesn't
    >> run on the default channel of 6, and doesn't broadcast the SSID.
    >> Windows XP is great for the "plug everything in and turn it all on"
    >> approach, but for everything else the card's software is a must.
    >>
    >> Untick the box to let Windows configure the network, install/run the
    >> card's own software and set the network up that way. You should be
    >> able to tell it to connect /only/ to the network you have set up,
    >> and not to connect to anything it finds.
    >>

    > The cards software seems to be just as bad and not at all helpful. I
    > will look through it so maybe I can figure it out, thanks for the
    > help.

    Ok I found the channel selactor under the wireless cards hardware, and set
    them all the same...I tried several different ones, and it seems to work a
    little better, but it still disconnects after a few minutes, then I just
    click on connect again, and it connects fine, says it has an excellent
    connection....why does it keep disconnecting?

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  12. Night_Seer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    > Ok I found the channel selactor under the wireless cards hardware, and
    > set them all the same...I tried several different ones, and it seems
    > to work a little better, but it still disconnects after a few minutes,
    > then I just click on connect again, and it connects fine, says it has
    > an excellent connection....why does it keep disconnecting?

    Check your wireless access point's firmware. What model card do you have?
    What model access point? Sometimes they don't always like to play nice,
    but new drivers/firmware for you card can fix that, and new firmware for
    the access point can fix it as well.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> Ok I found the channel selactor under the wireless cards hardware,
    >> and set them all the same...I tried several different ones, and it
    >> seems to work a little better, but it still disconnects after a few
    >> minutes, then I just click on connect again, and it connects fine,
    >> says it has an excellent connection....why does it keep
    >> disconnecting?

    > Check your wireless access point's firmware. What model card do you
    > have? What model access point? Sometimes they don't always like to
    > play nice, but new drivers/firmware for you card can fix that, and
    > new firmware for the access point can fix it as well.

    I changed the firmware when I first got it, because the wired part of it
    was messed up. After that it worked fine, and I had the latest firmware
    (the access point is about a month or two old).

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Night_Seer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    > I changed the firmware when I first got it, because the wired part
    > of it
    > was messed up. After that it worked fine, and I had the latest
    > firmware (the access point is about a month or two old).

    Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for the wireless card? And
    what models are you talking about here? I got /very/ frequent disconnects
    and reconnects when my wireless network was a DLink router and wireless
    card. The router died, and I replaced it with a Linksys WAP11 v2.6 (it
    cost $10 more for a new access point than shipping both ways to replace the
    dead one...), and I've not seen one random disconnect since. I find this
    odd as I had "matching" parts before and I don't now, thought it'd be the
    other way around.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 24, 2003
  15. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> I changed the firmware when I first got it, because the wired
    >> part of it
    >> was messed up. After that it worked fine, and I had the latest
    >> firmware (the access point is about a month or two old).

    > Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for the wireless card?
    > And what models are you talking about here? I got /very/ frequent
    > disconnects and reconnects when my wireless network was a DLink
    > router and wireless card. The router died, and I replaced it with a
    > Linksys WAP11 v2.6 (it cost $10 more for a new access point than
    > shipping both ways to replace the dead one...), and I've not seen one
    > random disconnect since. I find this odd as I had "matching" parts
    > before and I don't now, thought it'd be the other way around.

    Yup its a linksys, that's all I buy, and I got the latest firmware, and it
    has no drivers. I checked the laptop and it seems up to date, it is brand
    new. I am at a loss here, i might just call linksys as another person
    suggested. Thanks.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 24, 2003
  16. Night_Seer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    > Yup its a linksys, that's all I buy, and I got the latest firmware,
    > and it has no drivers. I checked the laptop and it seems up to date,
    > it is brand new. I am at a loss here, i might just call linksys as
    > another person suggested. Thanks.

    Calling linksys would be good, but you still haven't given me any model
    numbers to work with. Linksys makes like 5 different wireless access
    points and probably just as many wireless cards.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 24, 2003