    the camera of the year dollar for dollar. or pound for pound. But who am I
    to say?
    BuGzY
    BuGzY, Nov 14, 2003

  2. BuGzY

    Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:14:40 GMT, "BuGzY" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have their money saved up like me? I think this is going

    to be
    >the camera of the year dollar for dollar. or pound for pound. But who

    am I
    >to say?
    >BuGzY

    Today, December 25th, January 1, January 15th, it was discontinued.
    --
    Like a game of pick up stick played by fucking lunatics
    , Nov 14, 2003

  3. BuGzY

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <kr5tb.149186$9E1.751368@attbi_s52>,
    says...
    > Does anyone have their money saved up like me? I think this is going to be
    > the camera of the year dollar for dollar. or pound for pound. But who am I
    > to say?
    > BuGzY

    First of all, the model number is DSC-F828. The fact that Sony hasn't
    released any sample pictures and has delayed the camera twice aren't
    good signs. The chip is just too small to cram 8 megapixels on it. I
    predict it will be the camera FLOP of the year. Buy a Digital Rebel with
    the money you have saved and you will be happy.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Nov 14, 2003
  4. BuGzY

    BuGzY Guest

    thats strange, of all the places I have read up on it never once did anyone
    mention the chip being too small for 8 mp. Are all the pre release reviews
    bias or paid by Sony ya think? True there isnt any pictures out yet. And
    true with the Sony vs the Rebel you are stuck with the Carl Zeiss Lens. But
    from all Ive heard about the Rebel to get the real quality photos you need
    something along the lines of a 28-200 at around $340.00 so there goes the
    price difference. I do appreciate the feedback Todd. I had to take some
    second looks around. I think maybe waiting for a few months after the
    release will tell a better story for sure. But I hate waiting.
    thanks
    BuGzY

    BuGzY, Nov 14, 2003
  5. BuGzY

    BuGzY Guest

    Got a slight case of hiccups there guy? or is this your answer to a query
    about a release date? and by the way that signature, is that your school of
    life philosophy in a nutshell or just some deep poetry you were inspired to
    share with the group? Did you write it? Or pick it up at the pub?

    BuGzY, Nov 14, 2003
  6. "BuGzY" <> wrote in message
    >Does anyone have their money saved up like me? I think this is going to be
    >the camera of the year dollar for dollar. or pound for pound.

    Sony tried to start a megapixel war with this camera, but they
    are having sensor problems. I strongly suspect that it's sensor
    noise due to leakage issues with increasing the number of pixels
    on the die by going to a smaller geometry. There is no easy way
    to fix this, you can add post-processing, but this can only do so
    much.

    While the 828 specs look impressive, you are better off going with
    a Canon EOS-300, or waiting for the Canon G6. Canon seems to
    have solved the noise issues in their 6 Mpixel sensors.

    The 828 is likely to accelerate Sony's decline in the higher end
    digital cameras, and help Canon immensly. Canon could finish them
    off with an SLR-like camera, but there are no indications that
    Canon plans to enter this segment.

    The solution to the 828 issues is for Sony is to fit a Foveon
    sensor into this camera (just kidding).
    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 15, 2003
  7. BuGzY

    FOR7b Guest

    >Sony tried to start a megapixel war with this camera, but they
    >are having sensor problems. I strongly suspect that it's sensor
    >noise due to leakage issues with increasing the number of pixels
    >on the die by going to a smaller geometry. There is no easy way
    >to fix this, you can add post-processing, but this can only do so
    >much.
    >
    >While the 828 specs look impressive, you are better off going with
    >a Canon EOS-300, or waiting for the Canon G6. Canon seems to
    >have solved the noise issues in their 6 Mpixel sensors.
    >
    >The 828 is likely to accelerate Sony's decline in the higher end
    >digital cameras, and help Canon immensly. Canon could finish them
    >off with an SLR-like camera, but there are no indications that
    >Canon plans to enter this segment.
    >
    >The solution to the 828 issues is for Sony is to fit a Foveon
    >sensor into this camera (just kidding).

    And you got all this information on Sony how?

    FOR7b, Nov 15, 2003
  8. BuGzY

    IK Guest

    In article <6ontb.1165$>,
    says...
    > but they are having sensor problems.

    Speculation? or...

    > I strongly suspect that it's sensor
    > noise due to leakage issues with increasing the number of pixels
    > on the die by going to a smaller geometry.

    Fact? Where did you get this information from? Did Sony announce that
    they are having sensor problems? Did you conclude this from the sparse
    photographic samples that have shown up here and there and may or may not
    represent current (pre-)production model quality?

    Maybe Sony's delay has nothing to do with the sensor's quality, but with
    production capacity, consistency of lens quality, or adjusting software
    parameters. Perhaps Sony already knew months ago that they weren't going
    to achieve a release before christmas, but decided to announce an early
    release anyway to lure in potential buyers.

    > While the 828 specs look impressive, you are better off going with
    > a Canon EOS-300, or waiting for the Canon G6. Canon seems to
    > have solved the noise issues in their 6 Mpixel sensors.

    Yet many people anticipated that Canon's D60 CMOS would have terrible
    noise compared to the D30 CMOS, because of the doubled pixel density.
    Technology advances, and boundaries are pushed. No doubt Sony was aware
    of the challenges associated with increasing pixel density. We will know
    when the independent test reports of a production 828 are in.

    Sony is a major manufacturer of image sensors. They'll want to make this
    sensor competitive with respect to quality and price in order to sell it
    to other camera manufacturers.

    > The 828 is likely to accelerate Sony's decline in the higher end
    > digital cameras, and help Canon immensly. Canon could finish them
    > off with an SLR-like camera, but there are no indications that
    > Canon plans to enter this segment.

    The fact that they haven't yet suggests that this market segment is not
    so easily conquered. There are more competitors than Sony.
    IK, Nov 15, 2003
  9. "IK" <> wrote in message

    > In article <6ontb.1165$>,
    > says...
    > > but they are having sensor problems.

    > Speculation? or...

    Partly. Also the poor sample images that were posted then taken
    down at the request of Sony. Clearly they're working on some
    problems, and everything points to sensor issues.

    > > I strongly suspect that it's sensor
    > > noise due to leakage issues with increasing the number of pixels
    > > on the die by going to a smaller geometry.

    > Fact? Where did you get this information from? Did Sony announce that
    > they are having sensor problems?

    Oh yeah, that's gonna happen!

    > Maybe Sony's delay has nothing to do with the sensor's quality, but with
    > production capacity, consistency of lens quality, or adjusting software
    > parameters.

    All of that is possible, but all the evidence points to the sensor issues.
    You probably are half-right when you mention production capacity
    because they need to produce enough low leakage sensors for
    production which is always a challenge with a new chip that pushes
    the limits.

    > > While the 828 specs look impressive, you are better off going with
    > > a Canon EOS-300, or waiting for the Canon G6. Canon seems to
    > > have solved the noise issues in their 6 Mpixel sensors.

    > The fact that they haven't yet suggests that this market segment is not
    > so easily conquered.

    Perhaps Canon thinks that conquering it with the EOS-300D is a better
    route. Then they can sell more lenses and flashes too.
    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 15, 2003
  10. BuGzY

    BuGzY Guest

    I probably would get a Rebel EOS-300 if it wasnt made out of plastic.
    BuGzY

    BuGzY, Nov 17, 2003
  11. BuGzY

    Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:14:40 GMT, "BuGzY" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have their money saved up like me? I think this is going

    to be
    >the camera of the year dollar for dollar. or pound for pound. But who

    am I
    >to say?
    >BuGzY

    F828 now available as pre-order on sonystyle.com for 999.95

    Planned ship date Dec 29, 2003
    --
    Like a game of pick up stick played by fucking lunatics
    , Nov 18, 2003