    do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
    somthing quite durable.

    --
    James, Aug 12, 2004

  2. James

    Thomas Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    news:aUPSc.745$...
    > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
    > somthing quite durable.

    Any old Nikon. Both my F301 and FM2 have survived 15 foot drops onto
    concrete with only minor damage. My F90 has only been dropped from 4 foot
    before but that also was fine. Lens was a bit buggered though.
    Thomas, Aug 12, 2004

  3. James

    Jim Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
    > somthing quite durable.

    F1, F2, and F3 which are all metal. My F3 with MD4 survived a drop from
    waist level to concrete. The only damage was a very small chip in the paint
    of the MD4.
    Jim
    Jim, Aug 12, 2004
  4. James

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    James <> wrote:

    > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
    > somthing quite durable.

    Pro-level Nikons, especially film ones. My old SLR survived a 1.5-story drop
    onto pavement -- I picked it up and kept right on shooting. You can smack
    them into rocks, use them as defensive weapons, etc.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Aug 12, 2004
  5. James

    Matt Ion Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
    > somthing quite durable.

    My 1953-vintage Argus C-3 "brick" (see the top pic at
    http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/argus.html)

    Pretty f'n near indestructable. Pretty easy to repair/mod/tweak, too.
    Matt Ion, Aug 13, 2004
  6. James

    Apteryx Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking

    for
    > somthing quite durable.

    In the 70's there was the story of the climber in the Himalayas who
    dropped his Nikon F over a 10,000 foot cliff, and wrote a letter of
    complaint to Nikon that when recovered, the camera would function on
    only one shutter speed.

    Presumably apocryphal, but underlining the point that old Nikons were
    expected to take a fair amount of damage. If I dropped my Nikon F2 onto
    my concrete path, I might worry a bit about the lens, but I would also
    worry about the concrete.

    --
    Apteryx
    Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.
    Apteryx, Aug 13, 2004
  7. James

    DigiFilm Guest

    I dropped my D60 2 weeks ago from waist lever. Landed on the canon lens hood
    and bounced on the neckstrap bracked. It still works fine.

    --
    www.Digifilm.info

    DigiFilm, Aug 13, 2004
  8. James wrote:
    > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
    > somthing quite durable.

    How about the one they used on the Mars Rover project. They seem to
    handle a really long drop.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 13, 2004
  9. James

    wayne Guest

    http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000489.html

    This should work for you

    Wayne

    wayne, Aug 13, 2004
  10. James wrote:
    > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
    > somthing quite durable.

    Ah! I get it! "Withstand" drops!

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Aug 13, 2004
  11. James

    James Guest

    thats awsome but its not out yet it doesn't seem.

    James, Aug 13, 2004
  12. James

    James Guest

    thats crazy, sorry guys i should have mentioned that i want a digital one.

    James, Aug 13, 2004
  13. James

    E. Le Phant Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > thats crazy, sorry guys i should have mentioned that i want a digital one.

    Even I worked that out, since you posted to rec.photo.digital.
    Pity all the idiots suggesting old Nikons couldn't work it out.
    E. Le Phant, Aug 13, 2004
  14. James

    Baron Sloan Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im

    looking for
    > somthing quite durable.

    The Canon S30/S40/S50 PowerShot series are very durable.

    My old S30 has survived many drops onto concrete, rocks and tarmac
    without any ill effect. Two weeks after buying it I fell while rock
    climbing, and landed right on top of it (it was in my pocket).
    Baron Sloan, Aug 13, 2004
  15. James

    Guest

    Thomas <> wrote:

    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
    >> somthing quite durable.

    > Any old Nikon. Both my F301 and FM2 have survived 15 foot drops onto
    > concrete with only minor damage. My F90 has only been dropped from 4 foot
    > before but that also was fine. Lens was a bit buggered though.

    That depends. If the camera has a lens fitted and takes the impact on
    the front of the lens, sometimes the shock will transfer into the body
    and bend things.

    Parts replaced:

    Camera:

    Front plate
    Grip rubber
    Lower rubber
    c/f rubber
    Small parts
    Rear casting

    Lens:

    Lens bayonet
    Small parts (rollers)

    The lens was OK, except for the bayonet -- the camera took the impact!
    If the camera had fallen on its back it would have been fine.

    Andrew.
    , Aug 13, 2004
  16. James

    wayne Guest

    weird since the reviews came out in March

    found this one lower quality though!

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/casio/gv10-review/

    and this Kodak

    http://www.poweredmarket.com/page/ing_1766740.htm

    Wayne

    wayne, Aug 13, 2004
  17. The only camera I would ever drop and not worry about is a Fuji cardboard
    box multishot, you know the kind, they sell them at the checkout counter at
    the supermarket.

    I once, and have never again, lent my Nikon F to a friend. I got it back
    from Nikon repairs, they indicated that they had used the last film gate in
    North America fixing it.

    My advice is, carry your camera in a bag, wrap the strap around your wrist
    upon removal and then place the strap around your neck immediately. Any
    dropped camera will suffer some damage, such as loosened optics, lens and
    body misalignment problems, and al kinds of other nasties.

    Richard Tomkins, Aug 16, 2004
  18. James

    I hate spam Guest

    Try a Nikonos, III, IV, They are the toughest that I know of !

    I hate spam, Aug 16, 2004
  19. James

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Wayne,

    The DC5000 is the only camera that was built to do what you noted. Great
    camera but technology has moved on since it was offered. If you only need
    to capture images in a work place and keep the camera free of dust and dirt
    as well as moisture, check out eBay to see if you can find one.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Aug 20, 2004