    need the camera to be fully operable without the lens.

    Thanks,
    Jerry
    Jerry Right, Oct 19, 2009

  2. Jerry Right

    Walter Banks Guest

    Jerry Right wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a way to fool the Rebel 350D into thinking it has a lens
    > attached, so the shutter/ aperture and actuation functions are enabled? I
    > need the camera to be fully operable without the lens.

    I think it will work just fine in most of the manual modes.

    Aperture is part of the lens not the camera. All you will have control
    over is shutter speed.

    I have used my 350D to image through my telescope with just a
    Canon to T adapter (ie no electrical connections) and it worked
    without any problem.

    It my not work in auto-modes I have never tried.

    Walter..
    Walter Banks, Oct 19, 2009

  3. Jerry Right

    Matt Ion Guest

    On 19/10/2009 10:21 AM, Jerry Right wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a way to fool the Rebel 350D into thinking it has a
    > lens
    > attached, so the shutter/ aperture and actuation functions are enabled? I
    > need the camera to be fully operable without the lens.

    You should be able to adjust and trigger the shutter without a lens
    attached, but the aperture setting would require some sort of feedback
    device to "tell" the camera what aperture the phantom lens is set to.

    If we knew exactly what you're trying to do, we might have a better
    suggestion. If you're trying to use the old trick of reversing a lens
    for macro function, I've done it with my older 300D and its 18-55mm kit
    lens; it required no special setup other than using full manual mode.
    Matt Ion, Oct 19, 2009
  4. Jerry Right

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Jerry Right <> wrote:
    >Does anyone know of a way to fool the Rebel 350D into thinking it has a lens
    >attached, so the shutter/ aperture and actuation functions are enabled? I
    >need the camera to be fully operable without the lens.

    There is no aperture to control, but the shutter should work just fine
    without a lens.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Oct 20, 2009
  5. Jerry Right

    Matt Ion Guest

    On 19/10/2009 7:47 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >> On 19/10/2009 10:21 AM, Jerry Right wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a way to fool the Rebel 350D into thinking it has a
    >>> lens
    >>> attached, so the shutter/ aperture and actuation functions are
    >>> enabled? I
    >>> need the camera to be fully operable without the lens.

    >> You should be able to adjust and trigger the shutter without a lens
    >> attached, but the aperture setting would require some sort of feedback
    >> device to "tell" the camera what aperture the phantom lens is set to.
    >>
    >> If we knew exactly what you're trying to do, we might have a better
    >> suggestion. If you're trying to use the old trick of reversing a lens
    >> for macro function, I've done it with my older 300D and its 18-55mm
    >> kit lens; it required no special setup other than using full manual mode.

    > Some Nikon bodies won't meter at all without an electrical contact, I
    > don't think that's true for Canon

    Well, it will meter, but the reading will be meaningless, as the camera
    won't know what the actual aperture of the lens is.
    Matt Ion, Oct 24, 2009
  6. Jerry Right

    Paul Furman Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > On 19/10/2009 7:47 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
    >> Matt Ion wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You should be able to adjust and trigger the shutter without a lens
    >>> attached, but the aperture setting would require some sort of feedback
    >>> device to "tell" the camera what aperture the phantom lens is set to.
    >>>
    >>> If we knew exactly what you're trying to do, we might have a better
    >>> suggestion. If you're trying to use the old trick of reversing a lens
    >>> for macro function, I've done it with my older 300D and its 18-55mm
    >>> kit lens; it required no special setup other than using full manual
    >>> mode.

    >> Some Nikon bodies won't meter at all without an electrical contact, I
    >> don't think that's true for Canon

    > Well, it will meter, but the reading will be meaningless, as the camera
    > won't know what the actual aperture of the lens is.

    My understanding is it won't meter at all. I'm not sure how this
    actually expresses on the camera.

    The premise is the camera doesn't know how much vignetting is involved
    but my practical experience tells me it's not a big deal as long as you
    aren't expecting perfection; it's manageable. My actual experience is on
    a D200 which allows setting the lens data in the menu and if you don't
    set it correctly, there are indeed exposure errors but exposure is so
    subjective that it's hardly prohibitive.

    People used to add CPU chips to lenses in order to allow metering and
    while not perfect, it's certainly handy to be able to get in the
    ballpark versus having to do math in your head & shoot manual.

    Canon doesn't have this restriction which seems reasonable. I guess you
    could say Nikon is being extra careful about what they guarantee but
    more likely it's an excuse to push people towards high-end models.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Oct 25, 2009