anyone know an easy free Yenc decoder?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trax, May 20, 2006.

  1. Trax

    Trax Guest

    Trax, May 20, 2006

  2. Trax

    Quiz Time Guest

    easy to set up too?
    Quiz Time, May 20, 2006

  3. Trax

    Vanguard Guest

    "Quiz Time" <> wrote in message
    news:s%Gbg.4699$...
    > easy to set up too?

    So why not head over to yenc.org and see what they think is the cat's
    meow for supporting their hacked format?
    Vanguard, May 20, 2006
  4. Trax

    Mike Easter Guest

    Quiz Time wrote:
    Subject: anyone know an easy free Yenc decoder?
    > easy to set up too?

    Put your entire question in the body of your message, not essential
    parts only in the subject, so that the person who is answering will have
    an appropriate context to answer without having to paste part of your
    question down in here.

    If you are going to be using OE to dl yEncodings, I think it is best and
    simplest to use yProxy.

    Otherwise you have to dl and then decode as a separate operation. There
    are plenty of free yDecoders and yProxy has both pay and free versions.
    I think someone has to buy the pay version to reward their work.

    http://www.yproxy.com/

    Works with any newsreader
    Speeds up your downloads
    Graphical status bars
    Supports up to 20 connections
    The easiest way to yDecode
    Wizard for Outlook Express
    Supports SSL connections
    Protects your privacy

    Alternatively, there are free newsreaders which handle yDecoding
    natively and don't require a separate program or operation.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 20, 2006
  5. Today, with great enthusiasm and quite emphatic, Quiz Time laid
    this spiel on an innocent readership

    > easy to set up too?

    Xnews, Google for it. Works great, fast, efficient, supports both
    Uuencode and yEnc, supports one-step decode of multi-part binaries,
    the list compared to outhouse depressed is too long to include
    here. Plus, it has the benefit of being exactly what you and many
    others - like me - want - it is FREE.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" - Ralph Waldo
    Emerson
    All Things Mopar, May 20, 2006
  6. Today, with great enthusiasm and quite emphatic, Vanguard laid
    this spiel on an innocent readership

    > So why not head over to yenc.org and see what they think is
    > the cat's meow for supporting their hacked format?

    I give, what does "hacked format" mean? Why not see what the author
    of the standard has to say:

    http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yenc.html

    All Things Mopar, May 20, 2006
  7. Trax

    Mike Easter Guest

    All Things Mopar wrote:

    > I give, what does "hacked format" mean? Why not see what the author
    > of the standard has to say:
    >
    > http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yenc.html

    Jeremy & citations sez: Why yEnc is bad for Usenet -- I still think
    yEnc was the wrong way to do it -- it preserves everything that is wrong
    with uuencoding - relies on searching for "magic strings" in the
    message body - you really want is something reliably machine-readable
    and precisely specified.- filename specification is horribly
    imprecise - no method to specify a filename which happens to contain
    quotes -

    Jeremy also has another page:
    http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yencmyths.html yEnc Myths and
    Misconceptions - Debunking widely-held misconceptions about yEnc

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 20, 2006
  8. Trax

    DTDoyle Guest

    Quiz Time wrote:
    > easy to set up too?

    UUD32
    DTDoyle, May 20, 2006
  9. Today, with great enthusiasm and quite emphatic, Mike Easter
    laid this spiel on an innocent readership

    > All Things Mopar wrote:
    >
    >> I give, what does "hacked format" mean? Why not see what the
    >> author of the standard has to say:
    >>
    >> http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yenc.html

    > Jeremy & citations sez: Why yEnc is bad for Usenet -- I still
    > think yEnc was the wrong way to do it -- it preserves
    > everything that is wrong with uuencoding - relies on
    > searching for "magic strings" in the message body - you really
    > want is something reliably machine-readable and precisely
    > specified.- filename specification is horribly imprecise - no
    > method to specify a filename which happens to contain quotes -
    >
    > Jeremy also has another page:
    > http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yencmyths.html yEnc Myths
    > and Misconceptions - Debunking widely-held misconceptions
    > about yEnc

    Thanks for the link, I didn't have that one. Jeremy could be
    pretty critical of himself and sarcastic at the same time, so
    when I "read between the lines", I think - and this is just what
    I think - that Jeremy did believe lo these 5 years ago that he
    was doing something good for humanity by taking unnecessary
    encoding overhead out, whether his math was up to snuff or not.

    Anyway, the yEnc debate crops up seemingly monthly on many of the
    binary NGs I visit. Being that there are easy-to-use and
    inexpensive/free solutions, I cannot fathom the vehement dislike
    that yEnc engenders in so many people. I originally switched from
    outhouse depressed to News Express for the usual reasons, and
    then to Xnews because it did what the OP of this thread wants -
    it decoded yEnc seamlessly and the price was right.

    Jeremy gets involved occasionally on the two digital photography
    NGs I subscribe to. His knowledge and experience is incredible!
    But, you can't get him to talk about yEnc no matter how slyly you
    try. For whatever reasons, that are his alone, he wants the world
    to decide whether his "creation" is good, bad, or indifferent.

    All Things Mopar, May 20, 2006
  10. Trax

    snoopy Guest

    All Things Mopar wrote:

    > Jeremy gets involved occasionally on the two digital photography
    > NGs I subscribe to. His knowledge and experience is incredible!
    > But, you can't get him to talk about yEnc no matter how slyly you
    > try. For whatever reasons, that are his alone, he wants the world
    > to decide whether his "creation" is good, bad, or indifferent.
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry

    Mopar, by his "creation", you mean Jürgen Helbing's creation right?
    Jürgen Helbing created yEnc. Jeremy created the rant.

    Jürgen Helbing deserves more credit. :)
    snoopy, May 21, 2006
  11. Today, with great enthusiasm and quite emphatic, snoopy laid
    this spiel on an innocent readership

    > All Things Mopar wrote:
    >>
    >> Jeremy gets involved occasionally on the two digital
    >> photography NGs I subscribe to. His knowledge and experience
    >> is incredible! But, you can't get him to talk about yEnc no
    >> matter how slyly you try. For whatever reasons, that are his
    >> alone, he wants the world to decide whether his "creation" is
    >> good, bad, or indifferent.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ATM, aka Jerry
    >>

    > Mopar, by his "creation", you mean Jürgen Helbing's creation
    > right? Jürgen Helbing created yEnc. Jeremy created the rant.
    >
    > Jürgen Helbing deserves more credit. :)

    Who the hell is Jurgen Helbing? Never heard his name mentioned
    since the dawn of yEnc. Got a link?

    All Things Mopar, May 21, 2006
  12. Trax

    Trax Guest

    All Things Mopar <nunof@your@biz> wrote:

    |>Today, with great enthusiasm and quite emphatic, snoopy laid
    |>this spiel on an innocent readership

    |>> Mopar, by his "creation", you mean Jürgen Helbing's creation
    |>> right? Jürgen Helbing created yEnc. Jeremy created the rant.

    |>> Jürgen Helbing deserves more credit. :)

    |>Who the hell is Jurgen Helbing? Never heard his name mentioned
    |>since the dawn of yEnc. Got a link?

    :))))))) read the link you posted:

    " Jürgen Helbing, took what I did and turned it into yEnc.

    Please note, I am not accusing him of stealing anything. I had no
    intention of using my idea for any proprietary purpose; in fact, I was
    and continue to be happy for it to be used freely, and I am probably
    not even the first one to have thought of it"

    --
    Music videos http://www.milinkito.com/los80.php
    Someone did all the work, so you don't have to :)

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=sud-IdjIV-o
    Trax, May 21, 2006
  13. Trax

    Guest

    Frosty <> wrote:

    |>On or about Sat, 20 May 2006 08:54:12 -0700, an entity identified as
    |>Trax <> proudly proclaimed:

    |>>http://www.forteinc.com/agent/support.php

    |>Sorry to jump in here Pennywise, but according to my newsreader you
    |>posted your reply 3 minutes before the OP.

    |>Just thought you'd like to know.
    |>Doc

    Ya, I knew what he was going to ask, guess I just jump'd the gun :)

    FWIW I just set my computer to
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=234,
    bump'd it up a minute.

    Pennywise huh, guess I'll drop the Trax -

    --
    EXTREME Diet Coke Mentos Thing
    , May 22, 2006
  14. Trax

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Sat, 20 May 2006 08:54:12 -0700, an entity identified as
    Trax <> proudly proclaimed:

    > "Quiz Time" <> wrote:
    >
    >|>easy to set up too?
    >|>

    >http://www.forteinc.com/agent/support.php

    Sorry to jump in here Pennywise, but according to my newsreader you
    posted your reply 3 minutes before the OP.

    Just thought you'd like to know.
    Doc
    --

    No human being, nor any number of human beings, have any right to make
    laws, and compel other human beings to obey them. To say that they have
    Frosty, May 22, 2006
  15. Trax

    Guest

    Frosty <> wrote:

    |>On or about Sun, 21 May 2006 18:40:39 -0700, an entity identified as
    |> proudly proclaimed:

    |>>Ya, I knew what he was going to ask, guess I just jump'd the gun :)
    |>>
    |>>FWIW I just set my computer to
    |>>http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=234,
    |>>bump'd it up a minute.
    |>>
    |>>Pennywise huh, guess I'll drop the Trax -

    |>Dammitman! Yer a dang mindreader! You posted this reply 2 HOURS before
    |>I did!

    See I know what is going to be said, just keep jumping the gun...

    Different type of troll I've got to admit, had me going a bit.
    your post:

    From: Frosty <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 20:41:20 -0700

    Works out your clock is off - sure would of been easier if my headers
    had a posting date.

    --
    http://interact10ways.com/usa/information_interactive.htm
    , May 22, 2006
  16. Trax

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Sun, 21 May 2006 18:40:39 -0700, an entity identified as
    proudly proclaimed:

    > Frosty <> wrote:
    >
    >|>On or about Sat, 20 May 2006 08:54:12 -0700, an entity identified as
    >|>Trax <> proudly proclaimed:

    >|>Sorry to jump in here Pennywise, but according to my newsreader you
    >|>posted your reply 3 minutes before the OP.
    >
    >|>Just thought you'd like to know.
    >|>Doc
    >
    >Ya, I knew what he was going to ask, guess I just jump'd the gun :)
    >
    >FWIW I just set my computer to
    >http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=234,
    >bump'd it up a minute.
    >
    >Pennywise huh, guess I'll drop the Trax -

    Dammitman! Yer a dang mindreader! You posted this reply 2 HOURS before
    I did!

    SilverMan
    --

    Real debate; No bullshit.