    Two of my machines both complain about "unexpected end of file".
    Consequently the database get any data.

    Graeme

    Graeme Woollett, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Graeme Woollett

    Steve Guest

    Graeme Woollett allegedly said:

    > I'd be interested to know if you have succeeded in getting
    > miythfilldatabase and tv_grab_nz working properly.
    > Two of my machines both complain about "unexpected end of file".
    > Consequently the database get any data.
    >
    > Graeme

    I'm not using it yet.

    I've downloaded all the software, but haven't got to actually installing it
    yet. I have a few other projects ahead of it on my list.

    Please keep us posted on any progress. :)

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Graeme Woollett

    Steve Guest

    Graeme Woollett allegedly said:

    > I'd be interested to know if you have succeeded in getting
    > miythfilldatabase and tv_grab_nz working properly.
    > Two of my machines both complain about "unexpected end of file".
    > Consequently the database get any data.
    >
    > Graeme

    You may wish to join the NZLUG mailing list. I think some people on there
    are using it.

    www.linux.net.nz

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 10, 2003
  4. "tim @tjv.info>" <tim<no-spam> wrote in message
    > hmm, i'd be more curious to know how anyone has approached tv recording

    with
    > Sky Digital.Would love to setup a PVR system for recording Sky Digital but
    > the hurdle is figuring out how to change the channel of the Sky box thru
    > software. Anyone thinking or working on this?

    Yes, Windows XP Media Center Edition PCs ship with an IR or RF remote
    control, and a "IR blaster" that you can stick to the front of your sky box.
    This lets Windows change your Sky channels.

    Unfortunately XP Media Centre Edition PCs aren't available in NZ..... yet.

    http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Graeme Woollett

    Steve Guest

    Nathan Mercer allegedly said:

    > "tim @tjv.info>" <tim<no-spam> wrote in message
    >> hmm, i'd be more curious to know how anyone has approached tv recording

    > with
    >> Sky Digital.Would love to setup a PVR system for recording Sky Digital
    >> but the hurdle is figuring out how to change the channel of the Sky box
    >> thru software. Anyone thinking or working on this?

    > Yes, Windows XP Media Center Edition PCs ship with an IR or RF remote
    > control, and a "IR blaster" that you can stick to the front of your sky
    > box. This lets Windows change your Sky channels.
    >
    > Unfortunately XP Media Centre Edition PCs aren't available in NZ..... yet.
    >
    > http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter

    XP would come with all sorts of DRM encumbrances....Like having a policeman
    in your VCR.

    MythTV works like a real VCR....which is all people want.

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 12, 2003
  6. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > >> Sky Digital.Would love to setup a PVR system for recording Sky Digital
    > >> but the hurdle is figuring out how to change the channel of the Sky box
    > >> thru software. Anyone thinking or working on this?

    > > Yes, Windows XP Media Center Edition PCs ship with an IR or RF remote
    > > control, and a "IR blaster" that you can stick to the front of your sky
    > > box. This lets Windows change your Sky channels.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately XP Media Centre Edition PCs aren't available in NZ.....

    yet.

    > > http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter

    > XP would come with all sorts of DRM encumbrances....Like having a

    policeman
    > in your VCR.

    Thanks for your valuable contributions.
    If it's your content, and you own it, you can do whatever you like with it.

    > MythTV works like a real VCR....which is all people want.

    People can't even work out how to set the time on their real VCRs, good luck
    getting people to install Linux, install the MythTV tarballs then get their
    TV Tuner and video cards going.
    You deserve a chocolate fish if you can make it all work...

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 12, 2003
  7. Graeme Woollett

    lily Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@**(*(*IHATESPAM*(**(K!!!mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message

    Digital

    box

    > > > Yes, Windows XP Media Center Edition PCs ship with an IR or RF remote
    > > > control, and a "IR blaster" that you can stick to the front of your

    sky
    > > > box. This lets Windows change your Sky channels.
    > > >
    > > > Unfortunately XP Media Centre Edition PCs aren't available in NZ.....

    > yet.
    > > >
    > > > http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter

    > > XP would come with all sorts of DRM encumbrances....Like having a

    > policeman
    > > in your VCR.

    > Thanks for your valuable contributions.
    > If it's your content, and you own it, you can do whatever you like with

    it.

    > > MythTV works like a real VCR....which is all people want.

    > People can't even work out how to set the time on their real VCRs, good

    luck
    > getting people to install Linux, install the MythTV tarballs then get

    their
    > TV Tuner and video cards going.
    > You deserve a chocolate fish if you can make it all work...

    They could always buy a TiVo or similar with Linux pre-installed
    Its a better solution than tying up an expensive Windows XP computer to use
    as a PVR
    Myth TV is a DIY project, like FreeVo. If you want to do it then do it. If
    you just want to bang on about ONE way of doing it with ONE product, SFU, go
    away stop being an off topic Boooooooring Wintroll
    Theres a whole heap of windows PVR stuff that comes bundled with hardware
    too.
    I appreciate some of your contributions, but sometimes your MS zealotry gets
    the better of you.
    Have a look at the thread title dude.

    lily, Jul 13, 2003
  8. Graeme Woollett wrote:
    > I'd be interested to know if you have succeeded in getting
    > miythfilldatabase and tv_grab_nz working properly.
    > Two of my machines both complain about "unexpected end of file".
    > Consequently the database get any data.
    >
    > Graeme

    It seems that tv_grab_nz in xmltv appears to be broken currently.
    I'm sure the XP media center will be a lovely machine, hopefully as
    hackable as the xbox. Here are some reasons why I wouldn't media centre-
    MC will cost heaps, be subject MS's short upgrade cycle and subscription
    costs
    MythTV uses freely (open) accessable media formats that aren't subject
    to DRM.
    MythTV makes a good project for the computer hobbiest.
    When better FREE software is available I can upgrade at no cost.
    I can add any feature/function I like.

    Sure, Linux is not for everybody at the moment, but it's getting more
    that way. No wonder Nathan and the likes of Ballmer are secretly and
    not so secretly worried any it.

    Ps I'm looking forward to my chocolate fish.

    Graeme Woollett, Jul 14, 2003